Osborne gone!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
WainwrightGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by WainwrightGull »

Welcome back Dawlish, shame about the circumstances
COYY
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

WainwrightGull wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 14:33 Welcome back Dawlish, shame about the circumstances
COYY
Having conversations with yourself now?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

HeleVillageJunkie wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 11:45 What a sad period it is in the history of my beloved Torquay United football Club. I've been reading comments on this forum for many years and haven't left a comment due to the farce that is the Torquay United Fan's Forum.

From day 1 many supporters have been against Clarke Osborne being the owner of our club. Well Southampton Gull, SuperNickyWroe, Alan Merson and those idiots who run the Torquay Talk and the Torquay united supporters trust have got their wish.

What people don't seem to understand is that in the last 10 years the club has losses of over ten million pounds. Plainmoor is not suitable for a modern day professional football club.

I don't blame Osborne from walking away, only last week the club had a meeting with Torbay Council who again refused to provide land it owns for the 5th time. The council are complicit in Osborne walking.

The only mistake Clarke Osborne made was not sacking the manager when we were relegated last season.

So thank you Southampton Gull, SuperNickyWroe, Alan Merson and all the hirachary at the TUST for destroying my beloved football club.
The idiot isnt those you list, but the person that pulled the plug and made us face administration because he didn’t get his own way - not even attempting to sell the club first. He hasn’t been a saviour he’s put us in debt and done a runner. He can rot and I’m glad his name is all over the media for what he’s done. Perhaps this will stop him being able to ruin another club and build properties for his own greedy gain YET AGAIN.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

:goodpost:
Dave

Yeofan
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Yeofan »

Louis wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 20:34 The idiot isnt those you list, but the person that pulled the plug and made us face administration because he didn’t get his own way - not even attempting to sell the club first. He hasn’t been a saviour he’s put us in debt and done a runner. He can rot and I’m glad his name is all over the media for what he’s done. Perhaps this will stop him being able to ruin another club and build properties for his own greedy gain YET AGAIN.
I don't quite understand the history here. Were you forced to borrow money off CO in 2015 ... was there no alternative ? What would have happened if you didn't ?
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

Yeofan wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 21:34 I don't quite understand the history here. Were you forced to borrow money off CO in 2015 ... was there no alternative ? What would have happened if you didn't ?
We were struggling financially and Osbourne saw us as his next “investment opportunity”.

Found this topic on here for when we were about to be bought by him…
https://torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=9098

Yeofan
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Yeofan »

Louis wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 21:47 We were struggling financially and Osbourne saw us as his next “investment opportunity”.

Found this topic on here for when we were about to be bought by him…
https://torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=9098
That doesn't actually answer any of my questions
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

My posts on that thread certainly stand the test of time.
Yeofan, we're not here to answer your questions. Right now we've seen our club escape the clutches of a despicable businessman and are focussed on moving forwards and onto better times. Respectfully the concerns of fans from other clubs don't matter.
Dave

Colorado
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Peter Coffill

Post by Colorado »

Yeofan wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 21:51 That doesn't actually answer any of my questions
Your question is a reasonable one and I think merits a response and a little introspection. I'm guessing that was the reason for your post in the first place.

It is my understanding that Mr Osborne DID save us from the brink of insolvency and a majority weren't all that concerned about his track record.

I think based on the preponderance of evidence he did some good things. When GJ was appointed after Owers I think the majority were pleased and success followed.

So what's the problem then. Shouldn't we all be singing his praises?

The reason is, and I'm speaking purely for myself is that he COMPLETELY FAILED to connect with the fanbase and gave every indication he could care less about football. I would ask you to read the funny article by Jim Parker in Torbay Today in which Mr Osborne deigned to be interviewed. This came about BTW only after one relentless, intelligent, and polite Torquay Fan confronted George Edwards after a game and got no answers.

In the first paragraph Mr Osborne takes a rather odd approach when asked about why he isn't actually seen at Plainmoor: "Why am I not here more? The absolute bottom line is that I do not have the time." To my mind, that's really not the way to start off an interview.

Later he takes this as an opportunity to "sound off on his opinion of social media" and the "loss of respect of society." That's a little odd when, in general, societal norms traditionally involve talking with the fanbase or attending one or two games a year. He also went on to talk about his "right hand man" George Edwards who I believe was the CEO of the club. When I posed the question, what does George Edwards do on Jan 7, there were 10 responses all of which indicated they didn't know.

Further as others have commented he has not actually followed through on any of the stadiums that he has wanted to build and currently the Abbey Stadium Speedway Stadium is in a right state such that Gaming International is being investigated by the local council.

BUT.........ALL THAT BEING SAID, as my late father used to say "A stopped clock is right twice a day and I think we shouldn't forget that soccer, like everything else in life changes over the years and if we truly want Torquay United to exist into the future then we really have to open to change and give a little. While I love Plainmoor stadium and shed a few nostalgic tears walking into the ground earlier this month, I would ask, are we living in the past. Is it vital that we play at Plainmoor?

Do we need a stadium that holds 6500 and yet gets average gates of 2500 or thereabouts?

Wouldn't any reasonable businessman want to feel that there is some wiggle room to make changes without being vilified and ridiculed that they as they owner see fit.

We are at THE MUST CRUCIAL TIME IN THE HISTORY OF THE CLUB. Are we willing to accept change? If not I think we are done for as a step 6 or above club. And perhaps some of us out there are truly okay with that. But I don't think we can have it both ways. Give some and play somewhere between League 2 and Step 2. Don't give an inch and get used to playing Tavistock, Bideford, and Exmouth.

Again, we can't have it both ways.
Last edited by Colorado on 23 Feb 2024, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
Yeofan
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Yeofan »

Southampton Gull wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 22:10 My posts on that thread certainly stand the test of time.
Yeofan, we're not here to answer your questions. Right now we've seen our club escape the clutches of a despicable businessman and are focussed on moving forwards and onto better times. Respectfully the concerns of fans from other clubs don't matter.
Fair enough. I'm extensively involved with startup funding, and have, in my time invested ( succesfully ) in several football clubs. I also have a lot of contacts on the UK BA circuit. If you want to attract a buyer you need to be prepared to answer questions, and also be receptive to potential interest no matter how unlikely the source.

However , as they say on DD, "I'm out". Hope you find someone elsewhere.
Chill
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Chill »

Colorado wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 23:09 Your question is a reasonable one and I think merits a response and a little introspection. I'm guessing that was the reason for your post in the first place.

It is my understanding that Mr Osborne DID save us from the brink of insolvency and a majority weren't all that concerned about his track record.

I think based on the preponderance of evidence he did some good things. When GJ was appointed after Owers I think the majority were pleased and success followed.

So what's the problem then. Shouldn't we all be singing his praises?

The reason is, and I'm speaking purely for myself is that he COMPLETELY FAILED to connect with the fanbase and gave every indication he could care less about football. I would ask you to read the funny article by Jim Parker in Torbay Today in which Mr Osborne deigned to be interviewed. This came about BTW only after one relentless, intelligent, and polite Torquay Fan confronted George Edwards after a game and got no answers.

In the first paragraph Mr Osborne takes a rather odd approach when asked about why he isn't actually seen at Plainmoor: "Why am I not here more? The absolute bottom line is that I do not have the time." To my mind, that's really not the way to start off an interview.

Later he takes this as an opportunity to "sound off on his opinion of social media" and the "loss of respect of society." That's a little odd when, in general, societal norms traditionally involve talking with the fanbase or attending one or two games a year. He also went on to talk about his "right hand man" George Edwards who I believe was the CEO of the club. When I posed the question, what does George Edwards do on Jan 7, there were 10 responses all of which indicated they didn't know.

Further as others have commented he has not actually followed through on any of the stadiums that he has wanted to build and currently the Abbey Stadium Speedway Stadium is in a right state such that Gaming International is being investigated by the local council.

BUT.........ALL THAT BEING SAID, as my late father used to say "A stopped clock is right twice a day and I think we shouldn't forget that soccer, like everything else in life changes over the years and if we truly want Torquay United to exist into the future then we really have to open to change and give a little. While I love Plainmoor stadium and shed a few nostalgic tears walking into the ground earlier this month, I would ask, are we living in the past. Is it vital that we play at Plainmoor?

Do we need a stadium that holds 6500 and yet gets average gates of 2500 or thereabouts?

Wouldn't any reasonable businessman want to feel that there is some wiggle room to make changes without being vilified and ridiculed that they as they owner see fit.

We are at THE MUST CRUCIAL TIME IN THE HISTORY OF THE CLUB. Are we willing to accept change? If not I think we are done for as a step 6 or above club. And perhaps some of us out there are truly okay with that. But I don't think we can have it both ways. Give some and play somewhere between League 2 and Step 2. Don't give an inch and get used to playing Tavistock, Bideford, and Exmouth.

Again, we can't have it both ways.
:goodpost: Might as well start somewhere. :nod:
Chill
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Chill »

Yeofan wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 23:21 Fair enough. I'm extensively involved with startup funding, and have, in my time invested ( succesfully ) in several football clubs. I also have a lot of contacts on the UK BA circuit. If you want to attract a buyer you need to be prepared to answer questions, and also be receptive to potential interest no matter how unlikely the source.

Oops. :|
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Yeofan wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 23:21 Fair enough. I'm extensively involved with startup funding, and have, in my time invested ( succesfully ) in several football clubs. I also have a lot of contacts on the UK BA circuit. If you want to attract a buyer you need to be prepared to answer questions, and also be receptive to potential interest no matter how unlikely the source.

We're a fans forum and as such we don't need to answer any questions. I know that discussions are ongoing with an interested party, fingers crossed he or she can do a deal and secure funding to get us to the end of this season without the need for administration. After that it will be down to that person, not me or us on here. As a collective the fans need to get behind him/her and then who knows.
Dave

CornishGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CornishGull »

Come on off it. If someone was seriously contemplating investing in a football club they wouldn't make an approach through a fan's forum run by people that have no official connection to the club.