Farnborough v Torquay United Tue 20TH

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

The Great Muta! wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 12:14 Yes, and he also stated that Gulls will probably make the playoffs and win the playoffs!!, strange comment because surely he's trying to get Farnborough in the playoffs himself? (I know that's a longshot but if it's possible you surely have to go for it), weird message to send out to his own players, is he forgetting the fact we've already lost 15 league games?..
Is he after Johnsons job? :nod: They should have had a penalty for handball. Our defence still didn't look secure to me.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

We did not lose and we did not concede,two unusual positives for us , but it was not a quality watch, our back three/four/five have now some bite and strength which has been lacking all season,I do not see tomlinson displacing any of them anytime soon, midfield was ok with the exception of Mcgavin who is just too lightweight, great when he has some space but teams has learnt that keeping tight on him makes the point of having him on the pitch a waste of a shirt number, he cannot or will not tackle, a prerequisite for a midfielder, I seen more aggressive tackling from our under 11's, He reminds me so much of hoddle without the talent, wanders round most of the game at walking pace and scores the odd wonder goal. Not sure what Moxey was up to last night, at times he was a winghalf, then a left winger , then an inside left, neither of which really came off. Best player on the park last night by a country mile was their midfielder Kuhl, has the workrate of Lapslie and the steel of Marshall, Jarvis did well lasting 90 odd minutes, the more I see the more I like Booth, he has pace and a good cross on him. Lets see how many of them Johnson can injure in training before saturday.
Vick
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Vick »

MellowYellow wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 12:00 Some quotes from Farnborough manager Spencer Day in post match interview:

Torquay: "a fabulous club"; "a very big, big, club"; "big time, pro-time club"; "Torquay have got some fabulous players", "a really good side", "they have got so much quality"; "a really, really strong side".

Always good to have someone taking a look from the outside in.
By saying the opposition side are a really good side with fabulous players, he is justifying why his side did not win or even score a goal. If he had said Torquay were rubbish or only average, people would ask him why Farnborough didn't win. Manager talk. Take it with a pinch of salt.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Well I do not know how that finished 0-0.

How did big Duane not score from 3 yards at the end. He got into the perfect position.

Well at least we broke our losing run.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Firstly, it is worth listening to Spencer Day, Farnborough’s managers interview. A great summary of last night’s game.

My take on last night was, we are a team short of confidence and lacking in creativity. We were lucky to get a point, could have got all three, but over the 90 minutes got lucky.

It was great to have Jarvis back, clearly, he is not match fit. However, with him playing we revert to long balls into him. I cannot remember him winning many! If this is the way we intend to play, another striker running off him is needed, I cannot recall this happening.

Clearly Dawson has been a great loss this season. He is very vocal, leaded the team by example last night and was the only players appearing capable of opening opposition defences. Upon his departure the midfield created little.

McGavin, the jury is still out for me. He processes a fantastic strike but is slow in reading the game and reacting to the second ball.

Ronny Nelson won everything in the air and picked up everything at the back. Arkell Jude-Boyd would have been my player of the match, showed his pace in getting up and down the flank. A number of well-placed crosses just needed a man of the end.

To me, our midfield was exposed in transition time and time again. This allows teams space to run at our defence. This pressure can only be sub stained for so long. Further evidence of this is when defending corners all eleven players back in the box, anything cleared is a chance of the opposition to shoot and smash it back into the box.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

portugull wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 13:57 Well I do not know how that finished 0-0.

How did big Duane not score from 3 yards at the end. He got into the perfect position.

Well at least we broke our losing run.
That miss was unbelievable... if he was a defender for Farnboro they'd have all been patting him on the back for a fantastic clearance!

...and if any of our players actually read this... any chance of actually shooting once in a while. You know, that little round thing, just hitting it forward AT the goal rather than bottling it and passing it to someone else... who then... yep, passes it to someone else. So bloody frustrating.

:goal:
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

We are a poor mid-table side that is going nowhere this season. End of.
CornishGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CornishGull »

TommyGunn wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 12:39 Is he after Johnsons job? :nod:
More likely he's after Clark Osborne's job. Spencer Day is a property developer whose only previous experience of football management was at Chertsey Town, a club he actually owned. At Farnborough he has loaned the club £1 million.
Spencer Day was once known as Spencer Trethewy, the 19 year old yuppie who joined the board of the original Aldershot FC with a fraudulently obtained £200,000 loan. He eventually did jail time for fraud.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

CornishGull wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 19:46 More likely he's after Clark Osborne's job. Spencer Day is a property developer whose only previous experience of football management was at Chertsey Town, a club he actually owned. At Farnborough he has loaned the club £1 million.
Spencer Day was once known as Spencer Trethewy, the 19 year old yuppie who joined the board of the original Aldershot FC with a fraudulently obtained £200,000 loan. He eventually did jail time for fraud.
If that's the case maybe Clarke Osbourne is planning to be our next manager. :O
TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

CornishGull wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 19:46 More likely he's after Clark Osborne's job. Spencer Day is a property developer whose only previous experience of football management was at Chertsey Town, a club he actually owned. At Farnborough he has loaned the club £1 million.
Dodgy :lol:
Blimey I remember his real name now you have told that story. He was on Wogan about 30 years ago.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/artic ... lieve.html
Nigel L
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Nigel L »

TommyGunn wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 22:48 Dodgy :lol:
Blimey I remember his real name now you have told that story. He was on Wogan about 30 years ago.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/artic ... lieve.html
After one of the longest adolesences ever (yep, I've lived through a lot of it, being a Farnborough fan for 40+ years and counting) Spencer Day, now in his 50s, has grown up in recent years. Although still prone to daft outbursts, his love of the game shines through. He's passionate about football.

He has a fraud conviction, which will never be spent (he served time for it), so he can never be a director of a football club, or own one. However, he has a very good lifelong friend (who is very well-heeled in his own right) who controls Farnborough and, very clearly, sets out the rules under which he operates. Day is also a rich man, dabbling in hedge funds, property speculation and the like. He's not dumb.

It sounds like a recipe for disaster, but it works, and has worked for many years. Day became our manager in 2011, 13 years ago. Long term Farnborough fans were well used to on the pitch stuff being completely undermined by events off of it, but we've been stable and adequately funded for a while now. It's almost become normal.

Something I'll say in Day's favour (he knows I haven't been his greatest fan, because of, ahem, previous interactions), he's so willing to give footballers who've screwed up a decent second chance. Sometimes it's worked and there are players now in the Football League who know what I'm talking about. Other times it hasn't worked at all, but he keeps trying, being mindful about his own major screw-ups when he was much younger.
Last edited by Nigel L on 23 Feb 2024, 00:46, edited 1 time in total.