Taunton Town v Torquay United TUE 13th

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

I can see Truro playing or requesting their "home" games to be played away, just a hunch I've got, or the Taunton deal gets scrapped and they ask another club?, Taunton's pitch surely cannot stand up to all these games piling up..I do hope though Taunton find a way to stay afloat, be such a shame if they went to the wall.
TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

I'm surprised clubs like Taunton don't go the 3G pitch route. I don't believe there is another 3G pitch other than Dorchester down our part of the world. Yet in the south east many clubs have them. It's a big advantage for the home team and good for the community.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

TommyGunn wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 17:42 I'm surprised clubs like Taunton don't go the 3G pitch route. I don't believe there is another 3G pitch other than Dorchester down our part of the world. Yet in the south east many clubs have them. It's a big advantage for the home team and good for the community.
Start on the premise that Taunton had a winding up petition and transfer embargo for owing the tax man a measly £14k. Now take into consideration that If you are building a standard size football pitch made from 3G astroturf with floodlights and a fence from scratch, you can expect to pay around £1,100,000. Somewhere in there lies the answer.
TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

Yes you have a point but there are grants available if you have a good plan.

The pitch at Oaklands Park in Chichester has been built with a £729,000 grant from the Premier League, The FA and Government’s Football Foundation.
https://www.premierleague.com/news/3870738
In addition to this funding, the remaining project value was provided by a further £150,00 from the Premier League Stadium Fund via the Club Development Fund, £30,000 from Chichester City FC and £300,000 from Chichester District Council.

If only westcountry clubs had some forward thinking people. Even Maidstone had a grant from the premier league towards their pitch.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

brucie wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 13:23 How are we going to be playing there twice in the same week. They cant get one home game on in a week. Basket case of a club.
Switch Truro & Taunton games to Plainmoor. Give them the gate receipts and we get the home advantage.
Vick
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Vick »

MellowYellow wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 21:07 Start on the premise that Taunton had a winding up petition and transfer embargo for owing the tax man a measly £14k.
If Taunton are struggling financially while playing in this regional football league, imagine the struggle they would have if they ever over-achieved and were promoted to the National Leage premier. Food for thought for some smaller clubs.
Skillsy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Skillsy »

Plastic pitches may bring in money, but they spoil the beautiful game. They are better than they used to be, but I have never played on one that remotely compares to natural grass.
TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

Skillsy wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 23:47 Plastic pitches may bring in money, but they spoil the beautiful game. They are better than they used to be, but I have never played on one that remotely compares to natural grass.
I have always said that I hate plastic pitches. But I'm becoming an old fart now. Recently I have been looking around at those clubs that do have them. The community benefits the grants available and I'm thinking they are very beneficial to smaller clubs. Ladies football, youth football, schools all can use the same pitch. Galvanising those people who could become new fans of the main club. Maybe I need to change?
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

TommyGunn wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 08:39 I have always said that I hate plastic pitches. But I'm becoming an old fart now. Recently I have been looking around at those clubs that do have them. The community benefits the grants available and I'm thinking they are very beneficial to smaller clubs. Ladies football, youth football, schools all can use the same pitch. Galvanising those people who could become new fans of the main club. Maybe I need to change?
I'm exactly the same.
If a plastic pitch made it easier for the club (not owned by Osborne) to be sustainable at Plainmoor I would consider it now.
But of course it would have to go if we ever get back into the Football League.
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

Sutton paid £500k for their plastic pitch in 2015 and had to fork out another £500k to replace it in 2021 when they were promoted to the league.

They are on track for relegation this year so maybe will revert to plastic, although they have a hybrid pitch now so perhaps the best if both worlds.
TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

gullsgullsgulls wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 10:51 Sutton paid £500k for their plastic pitch in 2015 and had to fork out another £500k to replace it in 2021 when they were promoted to the league.

They are on track for relegation this year so maybe will revert to plastic, although they have a hybrid pitch now so perhaps the best if both worlds.
I remember seeing Young boys play Man city in the champions league on plastic earlier this season. It seemed to play really well and if it's good enough for the champions league it should be good enough for league 2.

But maybe this sort of pitch costs a lot more? Or was it a hybrid pitch as you mentioned? I have never heard of hybrid before? Just shows how out of touch I am.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

I wouldn't worry I can't see us ever getting back in the Football League.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

gullsgullsgulls wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 10:51 Sutton paid £500k for their plastic pitch in 2015 and had to fork out another £500k to replace it in 2021 when they were promoted to the league.

Hybrid pitches are a cut above the 3/4/5G pitches.
My egg-chasing team, Wakefield Trinity RL, have one and after a few teething problems (ie - played on too soon after being laid in January 2023) it has been excellent.
Its hard to tell that it isnt a 100% grass pitch, its used by them for training purposes as well.
It is also used by Wakefield AFC with no problems or complaints by teams about how the ball bounces etc. so at that level of quality they seem to be OK.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

TorquayUntied
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by TorquayUntied »

TommyGunn wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 17:42 I'm surprised clubs like Taunton don't go the 3G pitch route. I don't believe there is another 3G pitch other than Dorchester down our part of the world. Yet in the south east many clubs have them. It's a big advantage for the home team and good for the community.
How càn they afford the 250 grand needed?? Why you think we need a new ground with 3g pitches built around the main ground.

Good for the community at 360 quid an hour to hire out good for the Club.

Sold out every Saturday and Sunday for 8 hours says how much money we earn??

Sold out 2 midweek nights.

Do the Maths see how much money we could make but no stay at Plainmoor etc etc.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Quite simply 3G and 4G pitches at our level are a must. Currently, the club obtain income from the pitch about 25 days a year. As others have said, it should be making money, day after day, night after night. Add a really good coffee shop, and you will not believe the income you can make. Patents watching their children play football, in the warm, will spend money. Further, these young children are our fan base of the future. I've just had lunch with my daughter, who's presented me with the income and costs of her school pitch. I could not believe what they make. A lot of the costs could be through grants, plus with a school next door to us, a further deal could be done. Current league rules don't allow for 3G / 4G, but this may change.