Clark Osborne/Jim Parker Interview

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Just seen that the directors had a behind doors private meeting with the senior oficers from the council relating to a new ground, while I do not expect any details to come out it should focus the councils mind about what the club wishes to do and dropping a hint that now would be a good time for the council to step up if they wish the club to remain in the bay.
TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

TorquayUntied
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by TorquayUntied »

Brewers boy wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 09:28 Mellow Yellow. Seeing as it's costing Clarke Osbourne reportedly a million a season to keep us where we are, can we really afford to be full time? What are the leisure facilities that can't be utilised at Plainmoor? Lot's of clubs as well as our National stadium Wembley have a lack of parking and still manage. Torbay has a pretty reasonable bus service with stops not far from the ground.
Yes a new stadium would be great, but at what cost? We have nothing to sell, we only own the bricks and mortar, not the land.We can't afford decent players let alone 20 odd million for a new stadium.
5,000 to 10 grand a week in hiring out a 4g pitch for starters.

Blimey. Stuck in the 1970s.

You still think clubs survive on gate money 23 weeks a year.?
Gull in black
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gull in black »

I think it would be a shame to leave Plainmoor but worth it, depending on new location, if it gave the club financial stability.

Does a new ground with income generating facilities provide an income stream to TUFC. OR

Does a new ground with income generating facilities provide an income stream to a property developer - with TUFC being part of that income stream.
????

We need to look to our civic leaders (Councillors) to protect the future of our club by not signing away the freeholder to Plainmoor unless there is a water tight legal protection for TUFC.

Councillors should remember that TUFC supporters have votes.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Financial stability for one man only
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

Sadly showing their true colours. Far more interested in acquiring Plainmoor than they ever were with the football. Every time I attend a game I am proud of our stadium. There is nothing wrong with it. Many may be fooled by the promise of a gleaming new stadium but they may be sorry when Plainmoor Avenue sits where our old ground is and we are sharing with Buckland in teir 8. Bet Mr Osborne and Co won't be around then. Probably moved on to his next 'project'.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Football is not a normal business, our club is woven into the fabric of the community and so the council need to act earlier in any negotiations (i.e. 50% council ownership of any stadium built under a non-resale/non sub-let leasehold of 99 years) to prevent any future Bristol or Brighton or Coventry scenario and finding ourselves a club without a home. I have no issue with 'Uncle Clarke making profits from associated leisure facilities, that is his business right but the council must not play lip-service to any proposal. They must be prepared to make a long-term commitment and be prepared to risk the councils own capital. If the proposal is that good there should be no future issues for the council to worry about. If they get it wrong then they pay the price.
Skillsy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Skillsy »

There are two massive reasons not to leave Plainmoor........

1. We have no idea, certainly at this stage, what a move would look like. A new ground may be better than what we currently have, but i very, very much doubt it. It seems to be all about money, so it's likely to be a multi-purpose sports facility, complete with athletics track, plastic pitch, bowling alley and popcorn shop. Many people seem to doubt the motives of Mr Osbourne so I don't know how there can be any trust in plans for a new stadium without knowing any details.

2. The heart and soul of the club is at Plainmoor. For me it's akin to trading in your grandparents.

Stay at Plainmoor, it is NOT a backward step.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Regardless of our differing views on the subject our talk is very much a waste of our energy until we actually know what is to occur.
What I do know and I have been coming to plainmoor for 55 years the survival of the club and the chance to prosper through new revenue streams is far more inportant than where we play our games.
If there is to be a new stadium we will lose some supporters who on principle will not attend a new venue but we will gain a similar amount of new supporters.
As for the who gets what in the leasehold/freehold of plainmoor or a new stadium as fans I doubt we will be privy to the transactions, we have as they say no skin in the game.
RodneyJacksRightFoot
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by RodneyJacksRightFoot »

Although there is likely motives outside of football for CO to pursue this move, the club does need to generate extra income.

That said, I think the following needs to be considered:

1: A pre-condition that a completed new stadium is in place prior to any change at Plainmoor. This protects the club, a significant local interest from scenarios that other clubs have experienced.

2: The size of stadium (15,000 proposed) = club will never be close to full capacity unless an FA cup draw against top 6 in the Premiership. 8000 would be more than sufficient and could always expand if we reach the promised land.

3: Using stadium for events - i've been in that industry at an international level and can say with certainty there won't be many events in the local area to come close to capacity. Plymouth & Exeter already have multiple alternatives (not to mention more attractive locations than a football stadium) and larger populations = event promoters will overlook the site.
Even if the club attracted 4 large events per year, the rent received would barely cover stadium running costs.

4: The stadium should be in the vicinity of Torquay. An extra 20-30 minute journey could see crowds dwindle particularly in the winter months unless the club plan for efficient transport links to the site.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Osborne has never built a stadium, what makes anyone think he will build one for us?

Smoke and mirrors.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Indeed.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

culmstockgull wrote: 25 Jan 2024, 18:53 Regardless of our differing views on the subject our talk is very much a waste of our energy until we actually know what is to occur.
What I do know and I have been coming to plainmoor for 55 years the survival of the club and the chance to prosper through new revenue streams is far more inportant than where we play our games.
If there is to be a new stadium we will lose some supporters who on principle will not attend a new venue but we will gain a similar amount of new supporters.
As for the who gets what in the leasehold/freehold of plainmoor or a new stadium as fans I doubt we will be privy to the transactions, we have as they say no skin in the game.
Pity you don't listen to your own advice.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Southampton Gull wrote: 25 Jan 2024, 20:34 Osborne has never built a stadium, what makes anyone think he will build one for us?

Smoke and mirrors.
Because Uncle Clark only has the very best interests of TUFC at heart of course Dave..... :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Skillsy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Skillsy »

Clearly we have different opinions, but one thing I'm pretty sure about is that we all have huge passion for our club. It's not just another club, it is a very special club. I think this is what bothers me so much, and I admit I'm scared...........I fear that if we leave Plainmoor things will never be the same again. Emotional, maybe, but the emotions I have for our club underpin everything else.

Forza Torquay.