Taunton Town vTorquay United Tuesday 19 Dec KO 19.45

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Ok we’ll hold this thread as postponed. If you made a prediction and want to change it closer to new game. Go for it.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

By the time this fixture is eventually played we will hopefully have Ash and Jarvis back and Taunton will be further weakened by their fire sale. Will certainly revise my prediction come the time.
WainwrightGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by WainwrightGull »

Cheddargull wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 09:29 By the time this fixture is eventually played we will hopefully have Ash and Jarvis back and Taunton will be further weakened by their fire sale. Will certainly revise my prediction come the time.
Jarvis returns and the beloved Hoofball returns..I cannot wait !
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

WainwrightGull wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 14:15 Jarvis returns and the beloved Hoofball returns..I cannot wait !
Nah, I don't buy that. We were playing hoofball earlier in the season, but not because of Jarvis. It was because we were crap. We had no midfield at all so defenders were forced to aimlessly lump it long. That's not even what Jarvis is best at anyway. I feel confident that when he comes back he'll contribute because the team overall is playing a much better style of football.

that's not to say a long ball is automatically 'bad' - look at Halstead's quick clearance to Collins in a recent game. Goal. That's great play, even if the ball does travel 60 yards before getting to Collins.

Previously we appeared to have no plan, so the default was to kick it long to take away from our own area (that didn't work because that meant it just came back)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

Now on Tuesday 13th February 2024
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

happytorq wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 15:54 look at Halstead's quick clearance to Collins in a recent game. Goal. That's great play, even if the ball does travel 60 yards before getting to Collins.
Halstead's clearance was aimed towards a specific player rather than kicked up field as far as possible and landing like the Apollo 11 Lunar module. It was a long ball with tactical intention for Collins to run onto and use his pace to good effect. I think most agree we don't want to see Jarvis return to being just a hoof-ball target man as was the case earlier in the season where we picked up 8 defeats
WainwrightGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by WainwrightGull »

happytorq wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 15:54 Nah, I don't buy that. We were playing hoofball earlier in the season, but not because of Jarvis. It was because we were crap. We had no midfield at all so defenders were forced to aimlessly lump it long. That's not even what Jarvis is best at anyway. I feel confident that when he comes back he'll contribute because the team overall is playing a much better style of football.

that's not to say a long ball is automatically 'bad' - look at Halstead's quick clearance to Collins in a recent game. Goal. That's great play, even if the ball does travel 60 yards before getting to Collins.

Previously we appeared to have no plan, so the default was to kick it long to take away from our own area (that didn't work because that meant it just came back)
Let’s wait and see. Hope I am proved wrong
Griff1n
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Danis Salman

Post by Griff1n »

Don’t they know that Tuesday 13th February 2024 is pancake day ? Away fans will now have to rush it before making the trip.