Torquay United v Hemel Hempstead Sat 16 Dec 3PM KO

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Cheddargull wrote: 17 Dec 2023, 14:46 Every point in Dutchgulls post is well known fact.
Opinions aren't facts.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

culmstockgull wrote: 17 Dec 2023, 15:32 Dutchgull and SG all this is negative
Nothing negative from me. I've been positive about our promotion aspirations all season. Dutch posts his poisonous opinions and I dispute them just as I do your unswerving faith in Osborne.
Dave

desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Wow that certainly is biting Dutchgull !
Think we all know how you feel by now.
Brixham63
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Brixham63 »

Having not seen the team play in person since August being marroned in the Midlands yesterday was interesting. We seen to have lost 300 fans. Moxey was superb. Archer looked a real find. Halstead who I always rated made 2 excellent saves. The team however were so slow on the build up passing across the back that we seemed to be working harder with the ball than without. We rarely went through the middle as there was no one in the middle. I’m hoping we’re a team building to something good but I still don’t see Yeovil or Maidstone finishing below us. Gary is back where he started. Promotion and then NL final play off is the minimum requirement. It would be good to see the 300 come back..
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

I replied to the pathetic "poisonous opinions " jibe and it has mysteriously disappeared !

No dissent from the party line is allowed !!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

culmstockgull wrote: 17 Dec 2023, 15:32 Dutchgull and SG all this is negative , neither of you have shown any indication that your entrenched positions will change, Johnson is here and staying regardless of what any of us think so any vitriol against the man is wasted energy, should he get an easy ride for bringing us to this league, definetely not,others will make excuses on his behalf and only outright promotion will redeem him in many eyes. certainly over the last two seasons he has lost any edge he once had, there have been big mistakes and wasted opportunities with signings and his lack of candour on anything naturally alienates the fans. Yesterday we could easily have come out of that match 4-2 losers with a very weakened side so logic dictates that when the first team are back, if that ever happens we should be a far better proposition.
But, we didn't.
We won 3-2 without having the best XI out and not being at our best......
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

Dutchgull wrote: 17 Dec 2023, 19:36 I replied to the pathetic "poisonous opinions " jibe and it has mysteriously disappeared !

I noticed that. Having read your post, I am not sure what you said wrong but I guess you touched a nerve with the wrong person…
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Dutchgull wrote: 17 Dec 2023, 19:36 I replied to the pathetic "poisonous opinions " jibe and it has mysteriously disappeared !

Perhaps you should take your complaint up with the Admin and they could explain exactly why your post was removed. Nothing to do with a difference of opinion I'm guessing 😉
Dave

Skillsy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Skillsy »

Portugull,

Yes, when I said eight I was including Nouble and Lawrence who are obviously no longer with us. I was making the point that the strong ream that nearly kept us up has been decimated, for various reasons. Despite this we sit second and I think GJ has done well in very difficult times. I fully agree that anything other than promotion is failure, but I think we are in with a strong chance of going up. Time will tell.

I can barely remember a game this season when I would say we've been very good, but we are now in second place. Of the missing players, Donnellan is a loss but Marshall has done very well recently at right back and would now be in my strongest side. Elsewhere, I think the return of Asa, Lapslie, Dawson, Stobbs and Jarvis will strengthen us further. That is half a team of outfield players who, in my opinion, would all be automatic picks and will make us stronger.

My biggest concern is the number of injuries we suffer. I'm not sure whether it's just bad luck, or something else. Had we played our strongest side all season I believe we would now be top, but football doesn't work like that.

One last thing about injuries........it is a club policy not to talk about them as they do not want to give helpful information to competitors. That is from the horse's mouth. We all find it very frustrating not being given updates, but if that policy contributes to promotion I am happy to accept the policy.

Forza Torquay.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Not going to get involved in any personal disagreements between forum members, however the way I see it and there's plenty of evidence to back it up, Dutchgull did present a number of facts in his original post. What I will say is, I am not surprised at lot of our fans haven't come out singing GJ's praises during this welcomed current run of good form.

Gary Johnson has broken relationship with a fair percentage of TUFC fans, that is a fact, what also is 100% a fact is Gary Johnson has done a fair bit to cause the breakdown in trust between him and the fans, it's going to take a lot more than a few straight wins against some of the most poorly resourced part-time clubs, in a part-time division that we should never, ever have been relegated back to, for the trust to be won back.

GJ could have done a lot more to endear himself to the fans at the end of last season, for a start his outright refusal to take any responsibility for our relegation, which wasn't entirely all his fault, but a large part of it does lay right at his door, many, may have been more inclined to forgive it had there been an apology with a promise to put things right, I've already posted evidence in the past to show 11 points were lost due to the concession of goals 90 minutes plus last season, when in drawing or winning positions, the team would stayed up comfortably if this had been rectified, it was all down to the fact GJ was to stubborn to change tactics, and I can present it as a fact, was at most of games, saw it with my own eyes, flooding numbers forward in injury time, and getting picked off on the break, coupled with the fact of poor recruitment, season before last 3 goalkeepers, last season 3 left backs, this season 11 midfielders, not enough cover for the defence or going forward, injury prone players resigned, getting paid to sit around drinking coffee yesterday.

Yes GJ did 100% fact call TUFC fans the wrong type of fans, referred to it in an interview , a lot of what he said in an argument with some of United's travel club members, you know the ones that go to pretty much every game (the most loyal) was picked up and heard quite clearly on Radio Devon during the Dartford game where GJ made reference to the wrong type of fans there also, no doubt in the heat of the moment, but once again proves his arrogance, an acceptance that was wrong on his part might have seen some forgiveness, but GJ attitude came to the fore again, GJ is he who is not to be questioned by anyone.

Yes it is also fact, GJ is great on finding the popside for the fist pump when things are going well, and does run down the tunnel to find some hole to hide when they're not , now don't get me wrong, I don't care whether the boss comes over to the fans or not , but what does get my goat, is GJ can take the glory, he needs to learn to take some flack also.

GJ can get the fans back on side, being little more contrite from time to time, and little more honest when things haven't gone so well, and promotion, will all help in this, but I don't hold my breath. TUFC fans aren't stupid we aren't with out knowledge of the game, we may not be professional football mangers, doesn't mean us fans don't know when the teams been unlucky and deserved more that what they've got, we know when they've been poor and deserved nothing.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

You don't need to praise Gary Johnson to come on here and be happy with a win. The problem is that the vast majority who want Johnson gone only come out after a defeat.

A handful have expressed satisfaction with moving into 2nd place when the season has hardly gone as we'd hoped, when numerous injuries have stopped us fielding anything like our strongest team. Some, myself included, held firm that we would stay in touch and with a more settled side we would progress up the table.

I won't be happy with anything less than promotion and with that in mind I couldn't care less whether we scrape a scrappy win by the odd goal in 7 or romp to a 5 nil win. They both produce 3 points.

Of course I'd rather Johnson could build a side that woukd walk this division and sail through the next but the signs are there for all to see that we're having to scrape the barrel with recruitment yet here we are sat in 2nd far sooner than I personally expected. Yes there are harder games to come but Yeovil aren't running away into the distance like many of the GJ haters predicted.

As for facts, there are none contained in Dutch Gulls post, pure speculation and opinion. Johnson has every right to chirp back at abusive fans and some clearly aren't the right type, every club has them. To take that as a blanket statement is ridiculous in the extreme. How many defeats has seen Downes meeting the press instead of Johnson? I think the stats are clearly on the managers side and he's hardly going to come and fist pump after a loss is he? So many pathetic responses to insignificant details, too many precious souls too quick to take offence at anything to fit with their hatred of Johnson.

Promotion is the only thing that matters. Fact!!
Dave

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Southampton Gull wrote: 17 Dec 2023, 21:09

I won't be happy with anything less than promotion and with that in mind I couldn't care less whether we scrape a scrappy win by the odd goal in 7 or romp to a 5 nil win. They both produce 3 points.
Now this is something I can agree with, however I've always believed in being honest , and think others should also when reporting our post match opinions, yesterday I and many others posted the team were poor that is the truth, they were, however like you say they won, that's all that counts.

But to arrive with promotion at the end point things have to improve, and it's worth noting our worst results to date came prior to any injury crisis.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Your match reports are one of the few I take seriously and although we have totally different opinions of the management if you say we were awful I've no reason to doubt you.

What draws me out is when a defeat brings out the same old faces giving it to GJ but nowhere to be seen after a victory. We both know enough about the game to know when things at a club aren't right and I suspect you think the same as I do about our illustrious owner. Does our recruitment through the loan system look like we have a manager who has no contacts or an owner not funding the right kind of loanees?
Dave

Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Dutchgull »

Thanks to gullsgullsgulls for confirming that I am not going completely ga ga as I was sure I clicked on the submit button !

Thank you Dave for confirming my FACTS .

" Poisonous opinions " .....jeez
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

Here's the latest prediction league update… Last game vs Hemel 3-2 WIN

Username ----------------- +Points ----------------- Overall Points
Incredigull ----------------- 3-0 ----------------- 31
RodneyJacksRightFoot ----------------- 2-0 ----------------- 28
portugull ----------------- 3-1 ----------------- 25
SuperNickyWroe ----------------- 3-1 ----------------- 22