Torquay United v Yeovil Town, Tues 7th Nov, 7:45pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

A return of all the injured players will still not take us up the league. We are mid-table at best under the current regime. Fans better get used to it.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I posted a couple of weeks ago about having 9 midfielders and playing Donnellen out of position etc, I didn't get treated to such a detailed response :lol: Just to correct a wrong here, as it's being suggested that Archer is an attacking midfielder that makes the a squad actually 11 midfielders.

Not going to double down on the result, I predicted 1.3 to Yeovil it was no surprise, even though some did actually think we could win game , some even predicted we'd score 4 goals :rofl:

Here we go again, we're rolling out the 'oh the injuries' excuse laughable really, we've seen an injury crisis now from 2019/20/21/22 and again this season, its what a statition would refer to as a pattern emerging, you can't help injuries, and there not all the fault of the management, but this has gone some past bad luck now, and when you read stories from people who were sat in the Bristow's bench last night saying that Marshall had indicated to the bench he needed to come off, yet was left on, with what is being suggested as a dead leg , some one has only himself to blame.

That coupled with suggestions that Dolan was started despite being ill, some one needs to start asking questions here, if true, yet more evidence of piss poor management.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Wolborough wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 12:59 We are mid-table at best under the current regime. Fans better get used to it.
With the upmost respect, why should we get used to it, why should we except this situation ? We the fans can change this by putting more pressure on the club ownership to change course, or go.
Formerly known as forevertufc
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Southampton Gull wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 23:16 Just seen the score. Not the result any of us wanted but with a side missing a few key players is it the end of the world ?
Trotting out GJs excuses now :rofl:

Even a Yeovil fan can sum up our team after watching 90 minutes

7 defeats already is a disgrace and we've managed 1 good performance all season
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I was at Plainmoor last night and I predicted we would lose for no other reason than Yeovil are the Form Team and Top of the NLS.
Without a doubt the best team we have seen at Plainmoor this season by some distance.
With no disrespect to Lovett I think Halstead would have saved both goal 2 and goal 3. However we will never know.
I honestly believe we will be good enough to reach the play offs if between January and April we have our best players fit to play and we get a reasonable return from our remaining 8 games in Nov & December.
I think Ollie Tomlinson is improving rapidly and deserved POTM for November.
I would like to see De Silva play in place of Collins who had a real shocker last night. Some of his passing was frightening.
We miss Aaron Jarvis hugely and without him there is no focal point to our attack.
We desparately need to strengthen the team at the moment because we are carrying to many passengers who are simply not good enough even for NLS.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Yet another season decimated by injuries has to be more than bad luck.

Recruitment screening? Training methods? Physio competency? Poor rehabilitation?

Hard to see this trend being allowed to have manifested for so long elsewhere.

Nouble was like a teenager possessed with his fitness yesterday. Looked like he was proving a point to me. Suspect that had he joined us, he would have been injured and out by now!
Skillsy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Skillsy »

Dan Martin has a hamstring injury and is having an injection this week to help cure the problem. Likely to be out for a couple more weeks.

Tom Lapslie also has a hamstring problem, likely to be out for about a month.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Skillsy that is really bad news about Tom Lapslie.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

After 16 games we are now talking about hopefully making the playoffs when at the start johnson said the sole aim was to get automatic promotion, even the play offs seem to be dependent on our ill and injured returning by turkey and tinsel time and who believes that, dawson being a case in point. Whats up martin this week, another upset stomach, why haven't we loaned out crowe again, i see the difficulty, even the bottom club didnt wish to extend his loan.
I agree the training regime and rehabilitation set up such as it is seems to be an issue and this has long since become a statistic that cannot be dismissed, the last time lapslie was out for three matches was because of a training ground incident,according to johnson a light training day, has the man not proved his fitness , even without training he still puts in more miles each game than mcgavin does in three.
Johnson still persists is saying that finding a good centre forward is very difficult , so instead he signs the one thing we do not need,another midfielder, while the centre forward situation may be as difficult he must be feeling a real fool for not trying harder or even trying to re sign nouble who totally beasted us last night.
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Our lack of teamplay and of desire for the ball at feet is just so obvious, so what do we do in training?
When we warm up there is shooting practice, mostly at the goal - in a match mostly over the bar; there is give and move and passing - in a match there is hoofball and both the forward line and midfield line are strung out over the pitch and never near enough to one another to create a possession sequence; the defensive line practices heading the ball long, so in a match heading to the opposition.
Our throws-in are so slow and predictable, we rely so much on a long throw but how much possession and goal-scoring opportunities do they create (I can think of one goal in last and this season)?
Why are our tactics so old-school? Why can't we learn from being outplayed in midfield and attack (Nouble and Murphy showed how front men combine effectively with one another and their teammates)? Why do we keep lofting the ball into the penalty area when the majority of goals are scored with feet not head? Why do we bring every player back to defend a corner, then lose a goal to a direct header or only have recourse to boot the ball back to the opposition because we have no outlet upfield?
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

GJ prefers a small squad, with varying talents through out. He has mentioned more than once that he will only bring in players, Loan or otherwise, that will improve the squad.

I personally don’t see enough competition for 1st team places, as we appear to have a 1st eleven, with the rest of the squad covering for injuries and making up the weekly training numbers.

If there is insufficient competition for places, our weekly training suffers and we subsequently end up with a match day squad that ultimately lacks composure and the ability to pass a ball with a purpose when put under pressure by the oppositions’ 1st eleven.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal: