George Edwards

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

Nick Potkins wrote: 29 Oct 2023, 08:48 Let clear up a few points, I was standing beside the guy asking good questions. I thank him for this. George confined a few things. The new ground is still planned. The finances are very good. It became clear getting players to relocate is a big issue. As others have pointed out, as the group got larger, with shouting and swearing he retreated.
Players relocating is always used as an excuse when things are going badly. We have two league clubs in the same county (although I appreciate Johnson may have burned his bridges with them with the way he has used previous loanees) and I refuse to believe their are not better players in Devon and Cornwall than some of our current squad. It's all about scouting. Perhaps Johnson's brother should be watching games rather than sitting in the dugout.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Imagine these idiots with the freehold to plainmoor? Whatever happens in the future, keeping the ground under council ownership is the most important thing.
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

greb46 wrote: 29 Oct 2023, 06:16 Yes doesn't help some moron swearing away but you can tell from his replies or lack of them that there is no interest in the club as a football team and as was known all along it's all about finance for housing as far as I can see which has backfired currently without the freehold and they're considering their next move which appears to be to finish the club off with the hope they can get their grubby mits in the ground for property.
He’s not a moron. He’d spent over a 100 quid on a day that saw us get rolled over by Hampton and Richmond!

We are 10th in Step 2. If this was a different club I could see it getting ugly - Edwards got off very lightly.

Also - a lot of the conversation wasn’t on camera.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Guildford Gull wrote: 29 Oct 2023, 12:35 Players relocating is always used as an excuse when things are going badly. We have two league clubs in the same county (although I appreciate Johnson may have burned his bridges with them with the way he has used previous loanees) and I refuse to believe their are not better players in Devon and Cornwall than some of our current squad. It's all about scouting. Perhaps Johnson's brother should be watching games rather than sitting in the dugout.
The youth set up also seems to never produce any players capable of getting into the first team
Steve_TUFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Steve_TUFC »

So it comes down to two sides of excuses:

Southampton Gull - no budget. Keep Johnson.
George Edwards - budget available but it’s our location. Keep Johnson.

Strange - I’m sure we had a team capable of winning the NL playoff final only a few seasons ago, must have been a fluke.

Either way just sack Gary Johnson, horrible arrogant man.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

They are not going to make money from building on Plainmoor. It's been rumoured and obviously unsubstantiated that Spires get the use of the facilities and they get Spires sports pitches. That area has seaviews and is next to the more sought after Warberries area, seems a much better prospect for building on.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

His answer to a new ground, instant and unequivocal YES
When asked where a delayed bumbled We don’t know

Or rather,,, we don’t care won’t be our problem

Terrifying
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

jono_Gull209 wrote: 29 Oct 2023, 14:12 He’s not a moron. He’d spent over a 100 quid on a day that saw us get rolled over by Hampton and Richmond!

We are 10th in Step 2. If this was a different club I could see it getting ugly - Edwards got off very lightly.

Also - a lot of the conversation wasn’t on camera.
Yes know where you are coming from and yes a lot of money to watch a team a few years ago had hardly heard of beating us easily.Frustration and disappointment is the new norm for the club so expect people to be angry but swearing at him isn't going to help trying to get answers,just makes him hide under a rock even quicker.
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

Still more of an interview than Johnson gave…..run away coward!
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

So in short, we are due to end up in the same boat as Swindon Speedway who were promised a new stadium in 2015 but on whose behalf (har har) Clarke is now searching for a suitable site.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/new ... m-swindon/
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

Who actually thinks Osborne and co will actually build a new ground? Even if they did, imagine the rent! We’d end up in the same boat as Darlington…
Gull in black
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gull in black »

I think that’s the worse possible outcome. TUFC have to pay a mad level of rent to Gaming international.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

If the Council handover Plainmoor to Clarke at any time before a new ground is physically built AND freehold ownership transferred back to the Council / a Trust etc then it's curtains for the club one way or another.

It really worries me that even if the Council are not deliberately complicit, they will be hoodwinked into signing toothless paperwork with holes that can be used by the developers to achieve their greedy goals. If things do start to escalate then a campaign to monitor the Council's actions will be absolutely crucial from the very outset. I just hope there are enough competent and strong councillors to stand up to GI and not be conned.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

knightmaregull wrote: 29 Oct 2023, 20:27 If the Council handover Plainmoor to Clarke at any time before a new ground is physically built AND freehold ownership transferred back to the Council / a Trust etc then it's curtains for the club one way or another.

It really worries me that even if the Council are not deliberately complicit, they will be hoodwinked into signing toothless paperwork with holes that can be used by the developers to achieve their greedy goals. If things do start to escalate then a campaign to monitor the Council's actions will be absolutely crucial from the very outset. I just hope there are enough competent and strong councillors to stand up to GI and not be conned.
This is the critical aspect, but what interest would GI have in spending a few million on a stadium that they wouldn’t take revenue from?
Colorado
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Peter Coffill

Post by Colorado »

Does anyone have connections with a hungry investigative reporter to look into CM and GI?
It might for a very interesting story.