Torquay Utd v Weston super Mare 25/10/23 Ko 19:45

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

After getting home, drying off, getting warm and a night's sleep, I have realised criticism of these players is pointless, they run and put the effort in but sadly you cannot polish a turd. Hopefully our time will come again. With the support we have things are not all bad.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Some of them put in the effort , some don't, can't fault the workrate of Donnelan, Jarvis, Lapslie for instance but you can't have a midfield with the luxury of McGavin. You can't have a bloke sitting in front of the back four thinking he's Pirlo , trotting around playing the odd little pass or through ball.
Stobbs doesn't look interested any more, there's just nothing in midfield, Hall is finished.
The midfield is non existent regarding personnel, energy, options and movement which is why the back four tap it around themselves , then end up hoofing it long up to Jarvis.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

No movement on prediction league.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

bobbytanz1963
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by bobbytanz1963 »

desperado wrote: 25 Oct 2023, 08:38 Some of them put in the effort , some don't, can't fault the workrate of Donnelan, Jarvis, Lapslie for instance but you can't have a midfield with the luxury of McGavin. You can't have a bloke sitting in front of the back four thinking he's Pirlo , trotting around playing the odd little pass or through ball.
Stobbs doesn't look interested any more, there's just nothing in midfield, Hall is finished.
The midfield is non existent regarding personnel, energy, options and movement which is why the back four tap it around themselves , then end up hoofing it long up to Jarvis.
I agree with the above and in fact met an Oldham fan a while back who said the Stobbs gets disinterested very quickly … spot on !

A weak squad brought together by a has been manager, who will not resign or get sacked due to his arrogance and being so entrenched with the chairman and CEO

We will be stuck with GJ until he decides to retire. His behaviour and attitude continues to alienate fans but he doesn’t care as long as he gets paid “ happy days”

The toxic atmosphere will continue but nothing will change. I hear there is a fans forum soon with Dodgy Clarke due to attend but bet it will be a damp squib !

If there is a crumb of comfort from last night a number of WSM fans I know said it was their best performance of the season 🤔
Jackom
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jackom »

ThI players are defo playing for the manager, as I said earlier they gave it what they had. A lot of our problems come from teams raising their game to beat a big fish, unfortunately we have limited ability and nouce to combat this.
Need new younger person at the helm, and please not a former player!
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Very wet in Weston , and full of moronic teenage torquay supporters who are probably banned from getting into plainmoor.Last night something may have finally broke in me, after 55 years of following the club I now question how much more of this I can put up with. It wasnt football in any sense of the word, they are a part time club , fifth form bottom but they had width and pace, we didn't, they had a midfield, we had a bit part player who should have retired last season and and in mcgavin a player that has not given 45 minutes let alone 90 since his arrival, we had three at the back,although second half we were marginally better with a back four, on the downside we brought on that well known disaster, marshall, booked and responsible for the penalty all within 25 minutes of coming on. the only thing we did all night was hoofball.
Jarvis and Moxey gave there all, ash cannot hit a barn door at the moment,stobbs where has your pace gone.
Tactics such as they were were wrong, set up was wrong, all this the responsibility of Johnson, could not even acknowledge us at the end, did not have the backbone to do the post match, Johnson you are a coward.
If Osborne had been watching the game he would have quite rightly be forgiven for thinking why I am wasting my money on full time wages when part time teams on far less are regularly turning us over.
AdrianC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chris Myers
Watches from: Pop side

Post by AdrianC »

At least Mr Downes thanked the fans and apologised for the performance, unlike we all know who.

Noted he said we didn’t turn up, but reading the thread, several say we did turn up but we just aren’t good enough.

Mr Johnson, please get in to the loan market to not just bolster the squad but improve it!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

To answer an earlier point TUST has arranged a Fans' Forum, open to all, at the Livermead Cliff Hotel on Wednesday November 8. Bar open from 6.30pm and meeting starts 7pm.
For those who can't be there you will be able to join us on Zoom.
And yes we have invited Clarke Osborne but he is yet to reply!
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

There’s no lack of effort really. And we have some decent players. The problem is the rest are simply nowhere near good enough.

This squad is all on the Johnson brothers. I understand we might not have the biggest budget in the league. But to be outclassed by Weston Super Mare….! Depressing times.
TUST_Official
Verified by Admin
Verified by Admin

Post by TUST_Official »

nickbrod wrote: 25 Oct 2023, 10:49 To answer an earlier point TUST has arranged a Fans' Forum, open to all, at the Livermead Cliff Hotel on Wednesday November 8. Bar open from 6.30pm and meeting starts 7pm.
For those who can't be there you will be able to join us on Zoom.
And yes we have invited Clarke Osborne but he is yet to reply!
https://mailchi.mp/02905fabbfec/april- ... a63ef53ed3
Official Account of Torquay United Supporters Trust
Stoneybroke
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoneybroke »

Can't wait for Gaffer's press call on Thursday !!!

He'll be there with his band of adoraing pressman. If they even fire a question at him about the Weston game, he'll probably tell us that we were better after our goal and could have gone a to win it.

Of course we were missing Lapslie ,the conditions were against us and ludy luck wasn't on our side.

Probably will be no reference to our very poor display as a whole, oh and I forgot he still thinks he's got the right squad to challenge for promotion!!

Dream On !!
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Have the question the point of this if CO or GJ wont be there

a group of TQ fans discussing the blinding obvious, without the right people there what will it achieve?
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

"happy with the squad" i mean the fact they keep banging this drum.

nothing attacking on the bench that marshall went up top.

asa is done, moxey not far off and injuries so who will play up top saturday with ash who has no confidence.

gary will stay, we will lose again and this will continue. sad sad times
Gullsandbeyond121
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gullsandbeyond121 »

Squad was not good enough last season, but thought in this Shite level some would have been. How wrong I am.
The guys GJ has kept faith with are a massive let down , but this is his team, his signings.
No competition for places so this is where we are.
The fools that gloat over the dross namely McGavin who has had 2 ok games in 50 appearances. Last night he reached an even lower level ! Marshall how many times is he going to cost us a complete liability and always will be.
Ash a huge disappointment, just not working out for him at all sadly. Moxey and Hall both their legs have gone.
The squad is threadbare and lead by a clueless manager who has kept the faith with this bunch. Why oh why ?
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

nothing is going to change its as simple as that.

its scary that they keep saying "we need the right players" "not just short term"

look at our bench last 4/5 games, i think short term is exactly what is needed, they have no idea, no urgency and happy to gamble that we might pick up a win.

this season we have lost to hemel, weston, worthing, im sorry this is beyond embarrsing for a club of our stature

things wont change, maybe a desperation loan who wont get any game time to just try and please the fans