Torquay United v Maidstone Sat 14 Oct KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gullsandbeyond121
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gullsandbeyond121 »

Simply not good enough, and it is a repeat of last season with the same mistakes time and time again. Cannot blame the fans for this .
A solid spine is needed i thought a centre back and a central midfielder, but now I think a centre forward as well
Competition needed for Jarvis and Ash as neither can hit a Cows Arse at the moment.
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

I thought Ash was brought in to capitalise on the head and knock off's from Jarvis. Instead he seems to be stuck out on that wing and not really very effective, but then again what do I know?
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Usual drivel in the post match interview
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

GULL 67 wrote: 14 Oct 2023, 19:30 I thought Ash was brought in to capitalise on the head and knock off's from Jarvis. Instead he seems to be stuck out on that wing and not really very effective, but then again what do I know?
It was both of them up top today but Ash has struggled to be effective

Think we saw the best of Jarvis last season with Nouble doing a lot of the hold up play
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Another p*** poor performance against a horrible "streetwise" team who man handled our weaklings, feigned injury to waste time and were not great themselves. That said, they were better than us TWICE.

Laughable that we could not field a full bench of seven......and we think we are promotion material?.....We will be nearer to the bottom than the top if affairs are not addressed before the end of the season. We are and have been for a while, the laughing stock of Devon football.

Welling must be rubbing their hands at the thought of playing us next week.
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 14 Oct 2023, 19:34 It was both of them up top today but Ash has struggled to be effective

Think we saw the best of Jarvis last season with Nouble doing a lot of the hold up play
That's right. Jarvis hit a purple patch last season but in 7 years he has not managed to score 50 goals. Hardly a record to pin your hopes on but another example of the Johnson's abysmal recruitment record
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

United completely dominated the first half with many flowing attacks with crisp accurate passing but crucially no goals.
Then in added time Maidstone score when it appeared all Mark Halstead had to do was pick the ball up. However right in front of the ref their striker appeared to toe the ball out of Halsteads hands into the net. A very peculiar goal and I will be very interested to see the highlights. We did protest Moxey still complaining to the ref well after the incident.
The second half was as bad as the first half was good from our point of view. What happened? I can only conclude United were deflated by the fluke goal just before half time.
I really do not think Maidstone are anything special but in 2 games at home we failed to score.
Stobbs had a shocker. He refuses to try and beat his marker on the outside opting to cut in and run with the ball but without creating anything close to a chance for Jarvis or Ash.
3 defeats on the bounce now and Welling next week at Home who are currently 22 of 24 teams. A must win for United.
It is really depressing to study the squad because it is just like last season so many players just not good enough.
Surely Argyle or Exeter have some young gun who needs first team Football who we could loan as without help this team is going to struggle to get in the Top 10 let alone be good enough for Promotion.
Time to act Gary please do not leave it till the last 8 games like last season.
Please let us fans know why you are not using the loan market. We the loyal fans who go every week do need some honesty just tell us please.
Gullsandbeyond121
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gullsandbeyond121 »

It is really depressing to study the squad because it is just like last season so many players just not good enough

Far too many not good enough for the National League, and also not good enough for the 6th tier and all hand selected and branded as Marquis signings.
We can all see they cannot cut it the recruitment has been shocking and this is the result.
2018/2019 season we lost 8 games all season....we have lost 4 already this.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I am at a loss for once, how is it possible for us fans to see the failings so obvious in the team and johnson and downes cannot. What changed from last week , well we at least tried to play football first half but it was oh so predictable, second half i swear we had given up. Stobbs had a poor game last week, this week even worse, he is a winger for goodness sake , your one quality should be to pass your opposing back. I listened to the podcast this week with the sage views of dave thomas and his colleagues, where they discussed the managed decline of torquay united, i am beginning to believe they are right. We cannot continue in this way, either johnson goes or the fans will it is that simple.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

I have to agree with the other views, some are a bit harsh, in the 1st half how we weren't in the lead before they netted goodness only knows, the Maidstone player hit a weak shot, I turned around to talk to one of my boys, the next minute Maidstone are celebrating the goal, that seemed to knock the stuffing out of us, the 2nd half we basically gave up, passing was poor, crossing abysmal, the freekick we had about 45 yards out and I forget who took it, but on contact with the ball he miskicked and fell over leading to Maidstone nearly getting a 3rd goal- for me that summed it all up 2nd half, real shame as in the 1st half we genuinely looked good, Collins and Lapslie playing well, easy on the eye, but we turned Maidstone into a good team which I don't think they really are, 2nd half they did batter us and looked decent on the break, they had a good few technical players who could pass and move and they seemed in tune whereas we looked like we could play to midnight and we wouldn't of scored...very disappointing, next week if Welling best us surely it's goodnight Vienna Gary...
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

2 games. 2 mistakes absolutely knocking stuffing out of us. GJ simply has to win the next 3 league games.
eddie6817
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by eddie6817 »

To think we have a full time squad who cannot hold there own at this level is beyond laughable they all maybe with a couple of exceptions be deducted half there pay at least and that includes our fearless leader.
Rory13
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Rory13 »

Maybe we can get Freddie Issaka and Caleb Roberts on loan from Argyle. They are young but very promising - probably as good as Adam Randell.
Skillsy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Skillsy »

Not great today, but on another day we would have won. Granted, it's all about results so on that basis it's a poor result.

But......

So easy to jump on the bandwagon, but come the end of the season we will be in the playoffs at the very least.

Frankly, it's pathetic that so many want Johnson out after a poor result. After 86 minutes at Hemel we were singing 'we are top of the league'. That is one League game, and four minutes ago.

None of us know what is going on behind the scenes, but the main reason for the lack of loans may well be a lack of money. We don't know, and I fully agree there should be much more transparency. I do think it's odd that everything is such a secret....Dawson, Hall, Da Silva etc.

In my opinion........we need a commanding centre half, a genuine right back and a creative midfielder.

And also, get behind the lads every time. We all want the same thing........playing with fear will only make things worse.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

:goodpost:
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com