Torquay United v Maidstone Sat 14 Oct KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Torquay 1 Maidstone 3
Sadly, this could be the result that highlights our shortcomings. Being a cup game, I can't see any loan signings appearing.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

0-2, they will just deliver more of the same as last week, steamroller the midfield , frighten the back four.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Pridiction comes from my head, not my heart.

Torquay 0 Maidstone 4

As someone said......prove me wrong.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

Is it finally time to drop 4-4-2 and play 4-5-1 given that they're full of big units and we need everything possible in midfield?
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Assuming we'll have 3 at the back.

Maidstone were poor, and certainly didn't cut as open at will as has been mentioned, and while we didn't play that well ourselves, we still merited a draw.

It's very likely we'll concede, but there was enough evidence to suggest we will create chances. So will go 2-1 to Torquay and 2000 in attendance.
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

Nick Potkins wrote: 13 Oct 2023, 10:26 Torquay 1 Maidstone 3
Sadly, this could be the result that highlights our shortcomings. Being a cup game, I can't see any loan signings appearing.
I'm afraid our shortcomings were highlighted ages ago and the greatest one of those is Johnson.
Whatever the result tomorrow we are light years away from being a Football League Club we might be full time, but we are totally unprofessional from top to bottom and when we have a manager referring to the ' right fans' it just about sums up the depths to which the club we all love has sunk.
Very sad times.
Pat Sharpe
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Pat Sharpe »

Sorry to go off topic but can't seem to get answer from the website so hoping people may know. if i hold a season ticket do i have to buy tickets to tomorrow's game? thanks in advance.
Gullsandbeyond121
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gullsandbeyond121 »

:goodpost:
DB57 wrote: 13 Oct 2023, 21:10 I'm afraid our shortcomings were highlighted ages ago and the greatest one of those is Johnson.
Whatever the result tomorrow we are light years away from being a Football League Club we might be full time, but we are totally unprofessional from top to bottom and when we have a manager referring to the ' right fans' it just about sums up the depths to which the club we all love has sunk.
Very sad times.
Summed up perfectly
The deluder
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by The deluder »

The “Gaffa” is certainly a very entitled individual.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Pat Sharpe wrote: 13 Oct 2023, 21:25 Sorry to go off topic but can't seem to get answer from the website so hoping people may know. if i hold a season ticket do i have to buy tickets to tomorrow's game? thanks in advance.
Yes ALL pay - £12 (£9 OAP) kids £5
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Maidstone were allowed to control most of the first half last Saturday, mainly because (unlike other teams) our midfield is not compact and is easy to play through; our forwards are rarely close enough to play with one another, and most attempts at kicking the ball forwards are in the air instead of to feet.
The bright spots last week were the threat Stobbs posed, making 3 great scoring chances in the second half as we played much better with 10, and taking the ball forwards from kick-off instead of ballooning it into touch.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Really hope I’m wrong but feel 0-2 Im afraid, not sure they’ll do the same as last week as they’ll now have more than enough info to expose our weaknesses and how to exploit them.

Could this be a bit of a ground hog game?
IMO if GJ & AD lose this one they have run out of excuses and in effect become complicit in the owners historic plans from other clubs, win it and they buy a little more time, with some.
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

Dave you have hit on a point in your second paragraph which has been bothering me for some time, especially after GJ's interview following the Maidstone match when he appeared happy with the present team
Gull1899
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gull1899 »

0-1. HT. ‘Defensive mix up at the back ‘ it says on Twitter - sums up our last 5 years & why we got relegated last year. We are too poor at the back & unfortunately I don’t see us getting promoted as it hasn’t been addressed
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Best 45mins we've played at home

On the floor and did the majority of the basics right

However it's all for nothing due to a mix up with Halstead spilling it and the Maidstone player seemingly kicking it out of his hands when he gathered

Ref wasn't sure and the worst bit was we didn't really complain and therefore the goal stood

I'm convinced if we had protested straight away he would.have disallowed it