Torquay v Chippenham Town 15/08/23 19:45

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

i will say it for a 3rd time WHERE ARE THESE SO CALLED LOANS!!

now even more important with key players out, no striker option on the bench, its last season all over again, when will it be too late this time?

why cant they see it, GJ even said before first game to expect loans in before or just after first game....... still waiting.
DGulls
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DGulls »

In hope rather than expectation, going for a 2v1 win.

When GJ came in, he was ruthless, decisive and demanding of his players. He spoke about no time for shrinking violets...

If memory serves me right, he dragged off Chris Regis in a double substitution in his first home game in charge after about 20 minutes as he had seen enough. I remember saying to those around me, that lad will never play for us again...and he didnt.

Chris Regis reminds me of some of the players we have now...in his words they are shrinking violets...he doesn't use that term anymore - why? Because we have too many 'shrinking violets' and he either isnt doing anything about it or cant do anything about it...the difference is, he inherited Chris Regis...the players we have today are all players he and his brother have recruited. Some are more than good enough players, he just isnt getting enough out of them collectively. Has he got enough fire in his belly? When he walked down the tunnel on saturday, he held his hands up and then shrugged his shoulders. I dont believe he has that fire anymore.

It has gone stale and when its stale, its time to make a change.
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

Torquay 3 -1 Winners

Come on!!!!!
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

2 games ago most would of predicted we smash Chippenham so what has changed?
As someone mentioned Dover was a lack of concentration and we should have seen them off.
I don’t believe we will come up against a better footballing side than Welling all season and they will be right up there (I think they will struggle on a heavy pitch in the middle of winter)
So I still have it that we win comfortably tonight. Saturday was terrible one of the worst performance in years but I back us to bounce back tonight.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Oh come on - thats pathetic. Dover was a lack of concentration?. Worthing are not world beaters either

They got some horrific results last year conceding 7 and 5 against Ebbsfleet, 5 against St Albans. Lost and drew against Taunton.

On what planet do you think that we will in easily tonight - we all hope that will be the case, but we hardly have 11 fit players and most of them are either too old or too inexperienced.

Chippenham believe me are no mugs.

I would also echo the sentiment about loan signings. Looking at the squad before the season started I was sure that it would be bolstered by at least 2 decent loan signings, and I think Johnson himself alluded to this.

It seems very puzzling that we haven't brought anyone in - I can only guess that Johnsons time here might be shorter than we think.
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

aggrey_25 wrote: 15 Aug 2023, 08:31 i will say it for a 3rd time WHERE ARE THESE SO CALLED LOANS!!

now even more important with key players out, no striker option on the bench, its last season all over again, when will it be too late this time?

why cant they see it, GJ even said before first game to expect loans in before or just after first game....... still waiting.
Who would want to send their developing players to Torquay where they can risk injury in the NLS and have their confidence shattered?

You may point out that is a small price to pay for access to the brilliant footballing minds of Johnson and Downes…
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

Kingsgull83 wrote: 15 Aug 2023, 10:26 I don’t believe we will come up against a better footballing side than Welling all season and they will be right up there
That's when you know things are bad when Welling are considered to be a better footballing side and will be right up there when we haven't even played them yet!

:lol:

Yes, I know you meant Worthing, but after we've played Welling this post can be just cut 'n pasted.

:keepie:
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Is this the Welling who lost 5-2 at Truro 10 days ago?
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

Opps just woke up. Aint missed much
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

teddiebear wrote: 15 Aug 2023, 12:57 Opps just woke up. Aint missed much
Don't worry, you're just in time for the picnic in Dawlish 😉
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

With the players available and if using the same formation im going 0-2.

Hope im proved wrong, looking forward to the game.
TUST #324
Chrisjb66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Chrisjb66 »

In response to NotNow….a blip because we’re playing at home against part-timers…..that’s a new one to me!
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

notnow wrote: 15 Aug 2023, 05:14 The game v Worthing was a blip due to pressure to win in front of a big home crowd.
That is the lamest excuse Ive ever heard. If our team can bottle it in front of their home crowd against part timers theyve got no chance in this league.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

DGulls wrote: 15 Aug 2023, 09:29 In hope rather than expectation, going for a 2v1 win.

When GJ came in, he was ruthless, decisive and demanding of his players. He spoke about no time for shrinking violets...

If memory serves me right, he dragged off Chris Regis in a double substitution in his first home game in charge after about 20 minutes as he had seen enough. I remember saying to those around me, that lad will never play for us again...and he didnt.
Difference seems to be that Johnson doesn't have the capacity to bring in replacements.

I thought McGavin was a decent acquisition (Hanson too..) at the time but the last 13 months have show that he's just not good enough. It's a shame, and on a human level I always feel bad when players are revealed to be out of their depth, but we can't afford to keep carrying him. The only way for him to cope in our side would be if we built the team around him - allowed him to sit deep in a 'quarterback' role and play passes around, whiile two aggressive, relatively swift water-carrier types played in front of him. Lapslie could *maybe* be one of those, but we don't have a second, and in any case he's injured. If there was any sort of budget still available you'd assume we'd have sent McGavin to play in Dorchester and brought in somebody who could do the job.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

Score 2-2