Torquay Utd v Worthing 12/8/2023 15:00

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Gull1899 wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 17:12 Ok awful result & performance, Worthing cut through us second half .

But it’s not on cheering when McGavin went off, the lad know he’s been shit, just like rest of the team & to hear that as you go off must be gutting. We should be better than that .
:goodpost:

he was rightly subbed off, i just remained silent, that sort of booing during the game doesnt help

Hanson is no better and shouldnt have come on, we needed to go 4 at the back and get Dan Martin on
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

I have left games disappointed before, I have left games feeling let down. I have been watching Torquay since 1964, I left early today (after goal 3) bitterly disappointed, extremely let down and bloody angry. We were pitiful today, clueless in every part of the game, shapeless and very inferior to a part time side who could have won 7 or 8 nil. This was the worst performance I have ever se3n from a Gulls side, and I’ve seen a few. Even the man of the match, our keeper, who saved us from complete humiliation, distributed the ball awfully.

Johnson MUST go, he is responsible for this joke of a team.Begone Johnson, go.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Outplayed - never thought I'd say that in the National South - Johnson has to go after that,
Afraid he's lost it, we don't pass and move like other teams, they were taking the piss the way they kept tapping it around between the keeper
and their defenders. Worthing much quicker to the ball , something seriously wrong when we can't create a chance or force the keeper into a save. Aguair and Felix looked good , they were crap with us because we don't play sharp pass and move football . We play outdated football , lumping it down the pitch from the keeper.
I've lost my faith in Johnson, we haven't played football since Randell, Whitfield, Nemane etc were in the team
As Brucie said we are going nowhere with that defence, maybe good prospects in time but we need some BLOODY EXPERIENCE NOW !!
and not just Moxey.
Fair enough about booking McGavin but I never want to see him or Hanson in a Torquay shirt again.
The useless referee didn't help first half, the manhandling of Jarvis was just ridiculous
Really wish I hadn't bought a season ticket
I don't need this misery in my life.
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

Think that was possibly the worst Torquay performance I have ever seen and I've been attending since 1973. An absolute lack of any shape and dare I say effort. Jarvis looked lacklustre (if he wants to leave, let him go) and Hanson got caught so often. Possibly wrong to name just two as all besides Halsted were dreadful. Hope it's big time Charlie syndrome as Worthing completely taking the piss out of them will hopefully cure it. Sadly such a good crowd to witness utter shite. Wonder how many will return on Tuesday. Should have brought the Mascot's on for the second half, they all scored cracking penalties!
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Genuine question - how does a team that played so well pre-season (ie showing they have the ability) show so poorkynin the league? Must be due to a perceived drop in opposition standard and so lowering own personal standards and assuming will walk the win?
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Rubbish.
That was the worst performance I've seen for a long time. Barely managed a shot and very lucky to have only lost by three.
Worthing deservedly clapped off. Our players (bar Halstead who was applauded) and Downes deservedly booed off.
Johnson of course had scuttled down the tunnel.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Johnson has to go, if he doesn’t this club will die.
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

Worst performance I’ve seen for a few years. Abject. Embarrassing.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Gutless, inept. You'd not think we were a professional side, we really had no cohesion, or game plan other than hoof ball to Jarvis.

if the opposition were part time, then I applaud them even more so, they played pass and move while we just hoofed it. Jarvis from those opening friendlies looks a shadow of last season, there is no partnership between him and Ash. He took defenders with him and held the ball up, just so far that isn't happening and we can't build play.

Mcgavin wasn't great, but cheering his substitution was classless.

Hanson, shockingly poor.

Stobbs, tried but mostly failed.

No Lapslie.

Moxey looked injured, will be surprised to see him play in the near future as it looked like he got injured again

Hall, too slow.

I've always championed older experienced players, but today both were more a hindrance then help.

Jarvis was fouled constantly but just doesn't look comfortable on the ball or powerful in the air so far.

Ref, one of the worst I've seen, but at least she was terrible for both sides.

I've also always been neutral on GJ, but today looked identical to the opening Oldham game last season. We looked poor then, everyone knew it. I had faith in GJ sorting it out, but it took till 10 games from the end to do so. Today we looked a worse side than then. He seems to have no plan B. We have no pace, and any side that does will be dangerous.

I really don't want to go Tuesday, but I will go. I imagine there may be less than 1500 who feel the same.
Hornblower
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Hornblower »

Well, I thought the circus was in Paignton! Shocking performance, worth the admission money for the comedy value. Something needs to change.......
Hornblower
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Hornblower »

Well, I thought the circus was in Paignton! Shocking performance, worth the admission money for the comedy value. Something needs to change.......
Eastdevongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Eastdevongull »

Many people over the last year or so have argued for and against GJ.
Some have said he should have gone at some point last season after the performances that we endured, mainly down to VERY poor recruitment in the Summer of 2022.
(The squad was poor and we got relegated, whilst the Directors decided to keep both he and Downes, then and now).

Others have stated, many times, that he is the best manager both at NL and NLS level to get us back to where we all think we should be.

Well, after today, there was a manager in the other dug out who patently would be a very good manager of TUFC. His team played out from the back and / or played a decent long ball into feet (further up the pitch); they played two very wide wingers ; they passed and moved ; they defended resolutely and allowed us very , very few chances. They also cut us apart time and again and Halstead kept the score down below 0-6

So what do the Johnson to stay supporters and the Johnson to go supporters say now?
I concluded that the GJ AD style of "hoof" it forward game plan does not suit this squad of players. Worthing played a completely modern style and we looked awful against it.
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

At least ditch the 3-5-2. It got us relegated and clearly isn’t working again.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Lol
Attachments
b4c14907-2feb-4434-9915-0420d63e7a54.jpeg
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »