Torquay Utd v Worthing 12/8/2023 15:00

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Don't want to sound like Brucie but not sure why everyone is predicting a win - this is NOT
the team that did so well at the end of last season . Of the team that played Wrexham almost half missing - Moxey, Dawson, Lawrence, Stobbs, Nouble, all incredibly influential players replaced by rookies
Craske, Jenkins-Davies , Tomlinson, plus McGavin and Ash.
Hopefully Moxey and Stobbs will be back but I'm not at all confident of three points
I think this season may take some time to get up and running, but obviously hope not !
SDYellow
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The next scorer

Post by SDYellow »

Hoping for a win. Bringing the eldest to his second game. The last one was the most boring 1-1 draw with Southend May 22. He predicts a 2-1 home win.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Keithsson wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 15:50 Its a long trip for this club so I don't expect a miracle but I do hope for one... as ever, on the day may the best team win.
Amen to that!
Hornblower
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Hornblower »

Hopefully we will roll our sleeves up and fight. Dover was a good lesson for us. This league is not going to be a cakewalk. Worthing are a good team but we will just shade it. Torquay 3 -2 Worthing
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Wow now who is being arrogant - the Dover game is completely irrelevant to be honest, and you dont actually know that you will perform better than Dover, I mean noone can know that. Another day totally different game. Who cares who you beat last season - again totally irrelevant.

Maybe you are not quite as good as you think you are perhaps. A 95th winner against 10 men last week - and that courtesy of a blazing howler from the opposition goalkeeeper.
Keithsson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Keithsson »

brucie wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 23:42 Wow now who is being arrogant - the Dover game is completely irrelevant to be honest, and you dont actually know that you will perform better than Dover, I mean noone can know that. Another day totally different game. Who cares who you beat last season - again totally irrelevant.

Maybe you are not quite as good as you think you are perhaps. A 95th winner against 10 men last week - and that courtesy of a blazing howler from the opposition goalkeeeper.
Maybe indeed. No-one knows, not I, not you. That's why I expressed my 'hopes', not my expectations.

Ultimately everything is "irrelevant" until 22 players cross the white line. But taken to its logical conclusion that indisputable fact means all discussion, all opinions, all messageboard threads and all predictions are equally irrelevant... and where's the fun in that? ;-)
Keithsson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Keithsson »

Skillsy wrote: 11 Aug 2023, 00:31 Keithsson......

May the best team win?!? Really??

My priorities are, in order.................

1 Torquay win, playing scintillating football.

2 Torquay win, playing unscintillating football.

3 Any other result, big disappointment.

I'm sure it was only a figure of speech but in reality supporters surely only want their team to win, however it comes about. For disclosure, I am an ex-Worthing player and I have great affection for the club so I am in no way negative towards them. My ideal scenario would be for Torquay to win the League, and Worthing to go up via the play offs.

Forza Torquay.
It's a mindset thing, the priorities for tomorrow are...

1) A safe and trouble free trip down, a great game of football is watched followed by a safe and trouble free trip home...

... and that's it!

As long as that happens my day won't be made or ruined by the result. Sure I'd prefer a Rebels win, a point would be a 'victory' too. But if Gulls win, and win because they deserved to, then so be it.

You see I came into non-league football as a disaffected league football fan. I grew tired of that unremitting win at all costs mentality, where your whole weekend indeed your whole week could be ruined by the mere lottery of a football result, something entirely out of your control. So I just kick back and enjoy the journey now, not fret over the destination. It's so much more enjoyable that way.

I'm sorry if this outlook seems unimaginable to you... but yes, may the best team win :-D
Hereford Gull66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by Hereford Gull66 »

My prediction this week, 3-1 with the third coming very late on, in squeaky bum time.

coyy
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Another potential banana skin and I wouldn’t be surprised with another 2-2 draw simply because we don’t have any defenders so we are going to have to likely score 3 or 4 to feel comfortable about winning as even at 2-0 up, I wouldn’t trust this defence as Saturday showed, so another draw just to get the natives restless as well.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Good luck with the trip - Holiday traffic will be an absolute nightmare
Incredigull
PL Champion 23/24
PL Champion 23/24
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Incredigull »

....... and luck needed if coming by train if delays and cancellations today anything to go by.

3-2 Torquay win.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

To try and cement my position at the top of the leader board
I predict a Torquay victory 2-1
I strongly believe that if we are to be taking seriously, and plan to get out of this league! We need to be winning games like this.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Torquay 4 v 0 Worthing. Season up and running!
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

I suspect another 2-2 draw!
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

See you in Bristow's Bench. I'll be setting off from Worthing at 7.00, it feels very strange to be playing my home town.
COYY 💛