Torquay Utd v Worthing 12/8/2023 15:00

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Nick Potkins wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 17:07 ...Joe Felix has been their pre-season star and was man of the match of Saturday.
If he is their main danger man then we just have to get Tom 'bites yer legs' Lapslie to mark him - job done!
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

2-1 Torquay.

In all honesty I am not sure what to expect but if we all get behind the team and create a positive atmosphere this will really help the boys. COYY.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Mrs Dawlish reckons another 2-2 draw. Her tea leaves say we will take an early lead and at half time the score will be 1-1. Worthing will then score midway through the second half before Torquay equalise in stoppage time. Me, well I'm going for a 3-1 win for the Gulls.
Willhtq
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Willhtq »

4-2
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

3-1 after going behind.
Mackerelman
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Mackerelman »

Looking forward to our first visit to Torquay. I have to say that there seems to be just a little bit of arrogance and disrespect aimed at Worthing. You may beat us on Saturday but don't take it for granted, we maybe new at this level but we are a good young side mixed with a little experience, led by an excellent Manager.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Mackerelman wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 22:08 Looking forward to our first visit to Torquay. I have to say that there seems to be just a little bit of arrogance and disrespect aimed at Worthing. You may beat us on Saturday but don't take it for granted, we maybe new at this level but we are a good young side mixed with a little experience, led by an excellent Manager.
I don't think there's arrogance or disrespect. But we are one of the favourites for the division, and this is our first home game. We can't go into games "hoping" to win. If we're to get back to NL these are the games we need to win. We're aware that Worthing were 3rd last season, and you have plenty of players we've seen before
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Mackerelman wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 22:08 Looking forward to our first visit to Torquay. I have to say that there seems to be just a little bit of arrogance and disrespect aimed at Worthing. You may beat us on Saturday but don't take it for granted, we maybe new at this level but we are a good young side mixed with a little experience, led by an excellent Manager.
Don't take anything written on here personally, and message goes out to any other Worthing fan reading this thread.

As already said, most Torquay fans are well aware of your teams third place finish last season, and your tipped by many for top six again this season.

I've been back through the thread, some are predicting a draw, most are going for 2.1 Torquay which is a narrow win, so don't see much arrogance to be fair.

As for my own opinion, don't really do predictions, we have the ability to score a lot of goals, however we are fragile at the back, so who knows what going to happen in this game.
Formerly known as forevertufc
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

In addition to the comments above, please keep in mind that this thread is primarily to facilitate our season long score predictions competition. As such, it does give the impression of arrogance since most are bluntly predicting wins for Torquay. This doesn't mean that there's disrespect, it's just folks getting their prediction in.

Most of us have been supporting Torquay long enough to have learned the value of humility.

Hope you enjoy the game, and your first visit to Torquay!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance. United lacked confidence in their squad last season until the final 10 games. Having keep most of that squad we have got the basic requirement of confidence back and a foundation to build from. So it is confidence you are seeing, the arrogance line has not been crossed. Humility is the basis of any human being and not one comment states 'we are the greatest'. We know we are not but we are hoping to be the best this season, given the resources at our disposal.

You'll receive a warm welcome this Saturday on your first trip to a real seaside town - now that's agrrogance . ;-)
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by leetufc »

3 - 2 to Torquay
Keithsson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Keithsson »

MellowYellow wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 14:03 There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance. United lacked confidence in their squad last season until the final 10 games. Having keep most of that squad we have got the basic requirement of confidence back and a foundation to build from. So it is confidence you are seeing, the arrogance line has not been crossed. Humility is the basis of any human being and not one comment states 'we are the greatest'. We know we are not but we are hoping to be the best this season, given the resources at our disposal.

You'll receive a warm welcome this Saturday on your first trip to a real seaside town - now that's agrrogance . ;-)
And with arrogance can sometimes come ignorance. Multiple posters on this thread have repeated the misconception that we finished 3rd last year... we finished 4th ;-)

Nit picking? yes, absolutely. But it nevertheless demonstrates what I hope will be the theme for this game... Gulls having not quite done their homework properly allowing for Rebels to administer a lesson :)

Hope being the operative word there, I don't think you're being arrogant at all in predicting a home win, we certainly don't travel with any expectations of victory... just a pretty good team and hope.

You see any Gulls ignorance and complacency that manifests itself are our best weapon playing you so early.

We fully acknowledge you are one of the favorites but you haven't hit your straps yet... and have you learnt not to take the 'little teams' for granted yet?

Because from our side having handed both last seasons relegated NL sides their hats in 3-0 wins on their turf, 'status' hold no fear for us at all.

You will need to be fully on your game for this one and you will have to earn that victory because you'll get a proper job game from us, a level poor old Dover just aren't up to.

This is arguably our toughest away game... but we go into the game knowing that. However do you know this is arguably your toughest home game?... and are you prepared accordingly? We shall see.

As a Devonian by birth I'm really looking forward to our first ever game in Devon where I know the welcome will be warm.

Its a long trip for this club so I don't expect a miracle but I do hope for one... as ever, on the day may the best team win.
Last edited by Keithsson on 10 Aug 2023, 16:06, edited 2 times in total.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

We both know that Torquay OUGHT to win, but you’ll find little arrogance here because we also both know that Worthing COULD win. All Gulls fans have been around the houses of disappointment far too many times to assume anything. Hope you enjoy your visit!
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

3-1 Win
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I dont think there is any confidence amongst the majority of supporters, only those that swallow our managers bullshit. It is after all an opposition message board so if you choose to log on to it then its a bit rich to start griping about a lack of respect etc, etc.

We've had some of your players here before I think, Aguar, Felix and Raccine maybe. The only think to note about those is that they were a spectacular failure and we wouldnt want any of them here again.

I doubt if too many of our sane supporters are expecting an easy victory. If they are all fit we have a front 4 who should score a hatful in this league.

We've got a back four which is shocking however so I would expect a few goals.