Players Under Contract

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

Although Tomlinson has had a solid pre season, centre back position makes me a little nervous. I feel we are also short of an extra wide player and a striker.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

dagglebert wrote: 26 Jul 2023, 16:07 I agree that the squad looks much better than the first few months of last year. Potential weaknesses are an injury prone veteran midfield - Hall, Lapslie, Dawson are good players at this level but are unlikely to be ever present; and lack of cover at centre back. Lets hope for a good start and some good loans.
I don't see the club bringing in another central midfielder. We have Hall, Lapslie and Dawson, yes. We also have McGavin and Hanson (even though they've not torn up any trees in their time with us so far) plus the lad from Plymouth that we have on loan. that's 6 players for - at most - 3 slots in the middle of the park. Even if all 3 of those injury prone guys are out, McGavin, Hanson and Jenkins Davies should be enough to cope against most of the sides we'll face this season. It just doesn't make sense - given that we've already been told the budget is very stretch - to find a 7th player.

Like other, I still think we need another centre-half, and I suspect that's what we'll be looking to use a longer-term loan for. Marshall seems to be fit again after his eye surgery, and the fact he came on against Exeter suggests that he's not entirely out of the manager's plans. I suppose it's conceivable that he could get an extended run in the side.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I am hoping given the huge success of Nico Lawrence last season that Southampton will have a very promising centre back that we can have on loan.
They must be delighted with how well Nico did at Plainmoor so I live in hope of another gem from the Saints!
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

We need a forward and a centre back to bolster the squad.
dagglebert
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by dagglebert »

I agree these are the priority. I never suggested we sign any more midfielders - was just pointing to a potential issue.
slay1373
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by slay1373 »

Didn’t see that one coming! Welcome Dillon Da Silva.
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

Dillon De Silva returns to Torquay on a permanent move from QPR. Thoughts?
Last edited by Willowgull on 03 Aug 2023, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
slay1373
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by slay1373 »

Was a good player, pace and trickery, only downside is he often took one too many touches, but he’s young and definitely has potential. He will be a good asset in this league against tiring legs of part time teams and can see lots of late goals coming.
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

Another good signing by the gaffer
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

I heard GJ had spent the playing budget as he wasn't expecting everyone to stay. Is that right?? or where did he find the extra beans for De Silva?

Either way I am happy DDS is back.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

Yellow6 wrote: 03 Aug 2023, 11:13 I heard GJ had spent the playing budget as he wasn't expecting everyone to stay. Is that right?? or where did he find the extra beans for De Silva?

Either way I am happy DDS is back.
There are two ways to interpret GJ's statement about the budget:
1) He moved for Bradley Ash early in the expectation that Jarvis would leave meaning we were paying out more in wages during the close season than anticipated but this doesn't affect the season playing budget.
2) He was lying, which is what a shrewd operator would do. You don't want the opposition and the agents to know how much you have got to spend.
Either way good bit of business.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Cheddargull wrote: 03 Aug 2023, 11:37 There are two ways to interpret GJ's statement about the budget:
1) He moved for Bradley Ash early in the expectation that Jarvis would leave meaning we were paying out more in wages during the close season than anticipated but this doesn't affect the season playing budget.
2) He was lying, which is what a shrewd operator would do. You don't want the opposition and the agents to know how much you have got to spend.
Either way good bit of business.

3. We're going to be getting a couple off the wage bill in the next couple weeks or so. I wonder if the young lad (Callum somebody) that we brought up from the youth set-up is going to be sent out on loan, for example. Also I suppose it's a possibilty that somebody like Hanson/Crowe could be on their way out (although I believe noth of those could improve this season and be of use)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

De Silas certainly got the skill, although sometimes went missing in games and was defensively poor. Stobbs is the better all round player, but having De Silva gives another option so it must he a good move and the kid will improve as well. Well played GJ.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Willowgull wrote: 03 Aug 2023, 09:55 Dillon De Silva returns to Torquay on a permanent move from QPR. Thoughts?
Very happy. While not the best player in the world, remember the league we find ourselves in.

Compare him to Joe Felix (remember him) who is playing wing-back for Worthing and seen by many as a potential playoff team.

Now, who would you have.
COYY 💛
Gull in black
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gull in black »

Great signing for NLS