Pre-Season Friendlies

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 19:52 I get it that some fans think GJ is "The Don" but football pretty much is about the here and now, and right now we are playing regional 6th tier football Vs part timers, and GJ is the brains behind this outcome, I genuinely don't think he's got any player better or improved, all his signings have played previously at a higher level,yes they have done well with us, but that's a confidence thing,not some managerial masterclass by GJJarvis did well for probably half a season, we had defenders on the books who were so bad we needed to draft in loanee after loanee to patch up the defence, I'm really still not convinced we won't be an upper mid table team at best in NLS, before people get carried away, Dover stayed up by default, they lost last game of the season however they got mega jammy with a series of results going their way, staying up on goal difference, they should or could easily be a 7th tier club, I'm not being pesimistic but I see us top 10 with an outside chance of play offs, still not convinced.
Heard of Aaron Nemane? Well, you have now of course, but probably not before GJ plucked him from bottoming out of an academy. How about Ben Whitfield? Armani Little? Where were we when he took over, struggling mid table in the NLS. He must have improved at least one player to win the league that year.

I’m not saying he’s perfect.

Mistakes have been made and our current circumstance speaks for itself. But the point about not improving a single player is absolute tosh.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

It's funny how his detractors like to exaggerate the valid reasons put forward in his defence. I merely pointed out that Randell among others had developed well under Johnson and Downes. Now it's insinuated that he's credited with turning him into a Championship player. He's the Don of football managers etc etc. Accept it, he's not the idiot you allege, he's had his successes here and a poor season where he almost pulled off mission impossible but ultimately just failed. Some people need to get a grip, stop the boring tirades stop getting menopausal and get a bloody grip. The team we can put out now is capable of giving us a successful season, is it complete already? Obviously not but we are just one or two, maybe three players short of having a very very good team. Devon bee needs to take his ritalin and realise that not everyone gets their internet turned off at 10pm like he does. He's like a petulant schoolgirl labelling other people as supporters of Yeovil just because they object to his repetitive dross. He's not bought a season ticket and says he'llchoose individual games to attend but moans at other fans for not going. He's like Brucies lapdog and there's a Chihuahua owner if ever I saw one 👍
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

Just one polite question.

Who got Torquay United into the situation where the manager almost pulled off 'mission impossible'?

I recall now - it was Gary Johnson through a combination of recruiting absolute dross and a pig headed reluctance to change tactics that were evidently failing.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

If you've played higher than NLS in your career, and you end up at TUFC and you end up playing in that division (talking about the previous relegation to this level) your pretty much going to look good being an ex league pro and full time as well, players may arrive at us at a bit of a low ebb, so confidence wise GJ may of boosted that, but surely playing in a winning team helps?, But being FT and having the players we had the NLS title was a given...Ben Whitfield was or had already been a football league player, he came to us and in his short time, he did well, but it wasn't much of a suprise to me, he already had that ability,Jamie Reid was a big fish in a small pond in NLS, he's done okay since that wonder season, but I wouldn't say he's been amazing, his scoring record beyond that title win is so so, you could argue that if GJ had improved him that much, he would of done better?,scoring around 50 goals in nearly 200 games isn't bad...What I would say, and I'll cut him some slack, you don't always get time, time build and nurture talent, work with it, and bring those players on, esp with the situations we've found ourselves in, we've very much needed quick fixes, so in his defence maybe he's had to bomb out players such as Lolos, Umerah and others because ultimately it's a results based business...
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

JimNichol'sdog wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 21:02 Just one polite question.

Who got Torquay United into the situation where the manager almost pulled off 'mission impossible'?

I recall now - it was Gary Johnson through a combination of recruiting absolute dross and a pig headed reluctance to change tactics that were evidently failing.

Polite response, you could lay that at poor management, poor recruitment, poor defensive coaching or even poor backing of the manager through the playing budget. There's only one person getting lambasted and unfairly ridiculed on a daily basis while his detractors belittle his achievements and standing in the game.
Dave

Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

Boring….same few opinions thinking they speak for everyone. Get over it and get on with it. Got my season ticket and glad of it. Come on the season.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

:goodpost:
Yellow6 wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 21:37 Boring….same few opinions thinking they speak for everyone. Get over it and get on with it. Got my season ticket and glad of it. Come on the season.
The neg ferrets on here are so tedious. The player sponsors event today was great, full of positivity and perspective. Really brings it home that the players are just young, ordinary lads trying to do their best. The management team couldn't be more affable either.

I just can't understand why you'd support TUFC / spend your time online if all you have are negative feelings. Each to their own but there are far more important things in life. Just strap in and enjoy the ride!
GullsUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by GullsUnited »

knightmaregull wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 21:57 :goodpost:

The neg ferrets on here are so tedious. The player sponsors event today was great, full of positivity and perspective. Really brings it home that the players are just young, ordinary lads trying to do their best. The management team couldn't be more affable either.

I just can't understand why you'd support TUFC / spend your time online if all you have are negative feelings. Each to their own but there are far more important things in life. Just strap in and enjoy the ride!
Couldn't agree further, I'm all aboard for the new season, buzzing for Dover (a) and can't wait to support my team once again, ups and downs, I'm 100% in
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Still on Mr Sg I voice my opinion which I am entitled to. Yes I watch games , and I dont throw my stones at 2 am, I will be attending games, and the ones I choose will be my choice. As long this is a platform for opinion I will voice my views.
It is not all one sided and that I respect.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

Southampton Gull wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 21:14 Polite response, you could lay that at poor management, poor recruitment, poor defensive coaching or even poor backing of the manager through the playing budget. There's only one person getting lambasted and unfairly ridiculed on a daily basis while his distractors belittle his achievements and standing in the game.
Johnson knows how a huge majority feel, he heard it himself at the supporters evening.
I am sure you are aware. We all know you are pro Gj and I respect that, or are you his agent and working with Osborne and Edwards :lol:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Who cares about the bloody players sponsors event though? What I cant understand is why you seem to think everyone should accept getting relegated to this abyssmal excuse for a league in the first place?

Look I agree that towards the end of the season we had a decent enough team. However that doesnt mask the fact that prior to that we were nigh on tailed off and couldnt compete in a league contaning the likes of Dorking Wanderers. Maidenhead, Wealdstone and a whole host of other teams that we should easily have finished above.

I also agree that the team isnt bad for the league we are in now but it isnt going to get us promotion unless Johnson plugs some pretty big holes and quickly. As for buzzing for Dover - well they are an embarassment of a football club and to be honest we should dick them out of sight.
AdrianC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by AdrianC »

Re Dover, we as a club (players and fans) have to just be positive. Last season has gone, nothing can can be done about but just move forward. Play decent football when the occasion / conditions allow and win games. Hopefully have a plan B of playing ugly if and when we need to.

As GJ said last time, “judge me after 10 games”. I think everyone be they pro or anti him will be doing that this season!
Skillsy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Skillsy »

I'm a boy from West Brom who has followed Torquay from afar for many years, and have seen many games especially in recent years. This season is the first time I've bought a season ticket, and I can't wait! I'm going to Dover.
My opinion is that GJ is the right man and I was chuffed he's stayed on. I agree recruitment was poor at the start of last season and mistakes were made, particularly offering longer contracts to players who either weren't good enough or simply haven't shown their true ability. Not sure if this was because Torquay couldn't offer enough money to the better players, but it was clear from an early stage several players simply weren't good enough. It's hard to know whether this was the fault of the management in terms of choice of player, or simply that they could not attract the players they wanted.
Anyway, I'm sure the support at Dover will be positive. Let's keep it like that on here. By all means voice criticisms, but please make it constructive and don't resort to petty squabbling!
Forza Torquay.....
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

DevonBee wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 22:28 Johnson knows how a huge majority feel, he heard it himself at the supporters evening.
I am sure you are aware. We all know you are pro Gj and I respect that, or are you his agent and working with Osborne and Edwards :lol:
You're in a minority, most fans realise last season has gone and are looking forward to the one that's coming. You're still spitting your dummy out while sucking on your Farleys rusk.

I couldn't give a toss whether you go to games or not unlike you using games attended as some yardstick to judge whether someone is a fan or not. In my experience the most genuine and supportive fans are those that live far far away from Plainmoor and the serial moaners are usually on the doorstep, like yourself. Throwing stones? You couldn't throw your lunch......
Dave

DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

Southampton Gull wrote: 01 Aug 2023, 05:40 You're in a minority, most fans realise last season has gone and are looking forward to the one that's coming. You're still spitting your dummy out while sucking on your Farleys rusk.

I couldn't give a toss whether you go to games or not unlike you using games attended as some yardstick to judge whether someone is a fan or not. In my experience the most genuine and supportive fans are those that live far far away from Plainmoor and the serial moaners are usually on the doorstep, like yourself. Throwing stones? You couldn't throw your lunch......
Looking forward 🤔 good luck to those that are and nobody will deprive anybody of that.
It is sure to be an interesting season for sure.
I hope you are not going to make any predictions as you did last.
Also I don’t consider Exmouth to be on the doorstep
And this forum is about opinions which as fans we are all entitled to. People do not have to agree or make any comment.
Thrown a few stones over the years but never heard of anybody throwing lunch …..maybe a Hants thrill at midday I guess. COYY