Pre-Season Friendlies

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

It would seem from some views that after one season Johnson turned Randell into a championship player, absolute rubbish, he was class before we ever got our hands on him, all we gave him was mens football for a season, lets remember who came with him the left back Law, how did he turn out after receiving Johnsons wonderous coaching, a number of names are touted as successes for Johnson, and I agree many have gone on to bigger and better things, but most had one thing in common, they were good when they arrived having been coached properly by their clubs., balance those successes against the likes of Kerr, lolos, Andrews,Crowe, Hanson, Marshall, tomlinson and the list could go on, at best he succeeds as much as he fails, which for bigger clubs is acceptable, at our level where money is tight not so good.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Well it seems like we are expecting to win the league with the likes of Marshall and Tomlinson as our first choice centre backs. Seems unlikely to me.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

culmstockgull wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 09:29 It would seem from some views that after one season Johnson turned Randell into a championship player, absolute rubbish, he was class before we ever got our hands on him, all we gave him was mens football for a season, lets remember who came with him the left back Law, how did he turn out after receiving Johnsons wonderous coaching, a number of names are touted as successes for Johnson, and I agree many have gone on to bigger and better things, but most had one thing in common, they were good when they arrived having been coached properly by their clubs., balance those successes against the likes of Kerr, lolos, Andrews,Crowe, Hanson, Marshall, tomlinson and the list could go on, at best he succeeds as much as he fails, which for bigger clubs is acceptable, at our level where money is tight not so good.
Short memories some of the comedians on here.....I forgot about Andrews, what a total waste of space, he spent more time either on his arse or injured, another huge Johnson success story :lol:
Some will be saying Gj got Ali Omar to the Champions League next :scarf:
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Who's saying Johnson turned Randell into a Championship player !!?
Ask the player himself if he thinks he benefited and improved from his season at Torquay under Johnson.
Law who came with him ?!! He only played a handful of games for us !
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

Yawn
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Everyone to their opinion although I prefer to know why a manager sends a player out on loan. In the case of Randell his manager thought his loan move to Torquay United as "a perfect fit" in the next stage of his development. Even though there were approaches from League 2 clubs he said Gary Johnson is a manager "I have high regard for" and "we feel he is in good hands at Torquay" The Plymouth manager was so impressed with the development of Randell under Gary Johnson he tied Randell down with Argyle with a long term contract. The rest is now history.
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

will be sign anyone before saturday?
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

aggrey_25 wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 13:48 will be sign anyone before saturday?
Needn't bother.... according to Dover fans (apart from one), we're going to win anyway regardless of who we put out....

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/doverat ... t8851.html

:scarf:
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

we all know what that will mean....
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

United62 wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 15:22 Needn't bother.... according to Dover fans (apart from one), we're going to win anyway regardless of who we put out....

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/doverat ... t8851.html

:scarf:
Soo many here think we are going to walk this Mickey Mouse League, anything short of a 0-4 away win will be considered a failure I guess :-D
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

Only in your mind
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

teddiebear wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 16:50 Only in your mind
Let’s have your prediction then as well as your Yeovil Ofc
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

A win
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Well it seems the only thing we all agree on is that Johnson as a manager and character splits opinions!

I'd say he's neither a genius or a clown but somewhere in the middle regarding his success here as a manager and in bringing players on.

Its also obvious that 9 out of 10 people on here aren't going to change their opinions regardless of what's said

I think if your face fits the 'Torquay way', you play where he wants you too and you give everything every game and in training, then you'll not go too far wrong.

If you can not do any of the above, you'll have no realistic chance to play or progress as a player. It's also obvious he doesn't rate any of our own youngsters, is it because they haven't had any professional training apart from ours?

Tbh whether he's been great or terrible doesn't really matter, he's here. If he were managing any other team in whatever division we were in, I'm certain we'd all have a similar opinion of him!
So I'll be glad when the season starts, at least all this bickering will stop then........... 🤔😂

With the defense we have, I'll take any win on Saturday.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

I get it that some fans think GJ is "The Don" but football pretty much is about the here and now, and right now we are playing regional 6th tier football Vs part timers, and GJ is the brains behind this outcome, I genuinely don't think he's got any player better or improved, all his signings have played previously at a higher level,yes they have done well with us, but that's a confidence thing,not some managerial masterclass by GJJarvis did well for probably half a season, we had defenders on the books who were so bad we needed to draft in loanee after loanee to patch up the defence, I'm really still not convinced we won't be an upper mid table team at best in NLS, before people get carried away, Dover stayed up by default, they lost last game of the season however they got mega jammy with a series of results going their way, staying up on goal difference, they should or could easily be a 7th tier club, I'm not being pesimistic but I see us top 10 with an outside chance of play offs, still not convinced.