Pre-Season Friendlies

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Ok then - Dawson is obviously fit and ready to go - thats why he hasnt played a minute so far
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Adam Randell most certainly was brought on massively by Johnson and playing a full season regularly in an attacking winning team.
There is no way he would have featured so much for Plymouth had he not been at Plainmoor for that season.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

desperado wrote: 30 Jul 2023, 17:39 Adam Randell most certainly was brought on massively by Johnson and playing a full season regularly in an attacking winning team.
There is no way he would have featured so much for Plymouth had he not been at Plainmoor for that season.
Precisely. Some just simply refuse to give GJ any credit at all which negates any opinions they constantly share. I'm sure Plymouth are extremely grateful for the time he spent learning his trade under the guidance of a manager they trusted with one of their valuable assets.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

I can't speak for other fans posting on here, but I can't think of one youngster on our books (TUFC being his ONLY club), GJ has got hold of him, worked with him, progressed and elevated him to new heights, and he's gone in to become a good regular player??.I know of someone linked to SD College, and he's told me a few things about GJ and his total lack of faith in our youngsters, he's basically binned them off, has zero intention of getting any youth scheme off the ground, and wants to go out and sign a load of cobblers like his Marquee signings, oh hang on, they weren't really, but they were going to become marquee signings, he must have nuts the size of cantaloupes for us to believe his nonsense...
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Southampton Gull wrote: 30 Jul 2023, 18:33 Precisely. Some just simply refuse to give GJ any credit at all which negates any opinions they constantly share. I'm sure Plymouth are extremely grateful for the time he spent learning his trade under the guidance of a manager they trusted with one of their valuable assets.
I wonder if your opinion of Messiah Johnson can work a miracle with the dross he signed last season in the likes of namely Hanson, McGavin, Marshall and Crowe all four who thanks to his recruitment have ballsed up this years budget
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 30 Jul 2023, 19:02 I can't speak for other fans posting on here, but I can't think of one youngster on our books (TUFC being his ONLY club), GJ has got hold of him, worked with him, progressed and elevated him to new heights, and he's gone in to become a good regular player??.I know of someone linked to SD College, and he's told me a few things about GJ and his total lack of faith in our youngsters, he's basically binned them off, has zero intention of getting any youth scheme off the ground, and wants to go out and sign a load of cobblers like his Marquee signings, oh hang on, they weren't really, but they were going to become marquee signings, he must have nuts the size of cantaloupes for us to believe his nonsense...
36 minutes from your posting Mr Tea808 and nobody can name one as yet. Says it all . Many here have opinions and might have watched us over the years, but many have not witnessed the shambles on a weekly basis as we did last season… they watch from afar
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 30 Jul 2023, 19:02 I can't speak for other fans posting on here, but I can't think of one youngster on our books (TUFC being his ONLY club), GJ has got hold of him, worked with him, progressed and elevated him to new heights, and he's gone in to become a good regular player??.I know of someone linked to SD College, and he's told me a few things about GJ and his total lack of faith in our youngsters, he's basically binned them off, has zero intention of getting any youth scheme off the ground, and wants to go out and sign a load of cobblers like his Marquee signings, oh hang on, they weren't really, but they were going to become marquee signings, he must have nuts the size of cantaloupes for us to believe his nonsense...
Maybe the good prospects end up at Argyle or Exeter? It is true that the club hasn't brought through any young player in a while, but they've been given contracts and haven't broken into the first XI (or even the subs bench). The fact that none of them have gone on to "better" things suggests that they're probably not going to make it, does it not?

What Johnson has been able to do time and again is take players and improve them, like Cameron and Lewis and even CLE (whose career was stagnant), among others. Of course, Adam Randell was always going to be a professional footballer but his season with us really set him up for success when he did go back.

I maintain that a lot of last seasons travails were because we brought in younger players whom the coaching staff felt they would improve. Crowe, Hanson, Mcgavin, Marshall being the obvious examples. None of them worked out. It's for sure a failure - nobody should pretend otherwise - but to insist that Johnson has been stealing a living would be incorrect
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

In 5 years how many players has he signed permanently, improved (having played a good number of games for Torquay) and have gone onto a higher level? Who are they? As a starter I think I've got Lewis, Nemane, Whitfield, Little. According to transfer market he's made 97 signings since taking over as manager.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

A lot names I'm hearing had already played league football, I wouldn't put Ben Whitfield in a group GJ improved!, He has already played for the likes of Piet Vale, there a stack of players we've also had who GJ let go only to prove him wrong, we haven't got a youth scheme where we are bringing players through,
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

desperado wrote: 30 Jul 2023, 17:39 Adam Randell most certainly was brought on massively by Johnson and playing a full season regularly in an attacking winning team.
Great news for Argyle but where does that leave us? In NLS exactly where we were 5 years ago. And we're meant to be happy with that are we? Some on here might think that's ok but I , as a home and away supporter of over 60 years do not find that acceptable
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Of course it isnt - Its pathetic that we are playing in this tinpot league. Getting relegated last season was pathetic.

There were 2 teams head and shoulders above everyone else. Bar that most of the other teams were below average. Ending up with so many losers from last season who are still on the payroll because they were given long contracts ie Mcgavin (3 years)

I'm just hoping Johnson gets in two quality loan players this week.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Jamie Reid is the one player that went from zero to hero under GJ.

Now Aaron Jarvis.

Many of the better players signed quickly this season because of GJ. Dawson, Stobbs, Collins.

Maybe he's sinply a good bloke. Nothing wrong with that.
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

toastkid wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 05:55 Jamie Reid is the one player that went from zero to hero under GJ.

Now Aaron Jarvis.

Many of the better players signed quickly this season because of GJ. Dawson, Stobbs, Collins.

Maybe he's sinply a good bloke. Nothing wrong with that.
some people exist on moaning. Sad people
GullsUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by GullsUnited »

You can't please some people
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

Last season wasn't good. But you.got to move on everyone's entitled to blame someone. But those 2 just dont stop. Moan. Moan. Moan. Its so funny reading the same old