Pre-Season Friendlies

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

That was an interesting friendly, and i appreciate it was just that ( but try telling lapslie) guarantee he will be the first to see red this season. from minute one southampton were all over us, they were faster , and certainly fitter than us, it took us to about 15 minutes to get out of our half.
If johnson had any doubts that our back line will be our achilles heel again for the second season running then after today he can be in no doubt, donnellan and tomlison were generally poor , craske was fighting fires most of the game when the previous two went missing on a regular basis, not sure what goes on in mcgavins mind at times, one minute he is on fire , the next he looks like an under 14 player who has had no coaching.
Collins and stobbs were what you would expect, very good for this league, ash and jarvis are finding a good understanding so I do not believe goals will be an issue, lets just hope we can score more than we let in. As an aside any one of half a dozen southampton B players would make our starting eleven.
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

culmstockgull wrote: 29 Jul 2023, 18:39 That was an interesting friendly, and i appreciate it was just that ( but try telling lapslie) guarantee he will be the first to see red this season. from minute one southampton were all over us, they were faster , and certainly fitter than us, it took us to about 15 minutes to get out of our half.
If johnson had any doubts that our back line will be our achilles heel again for the second season running then after today he can be in no doubt, donnellan and tomlison were generally poor , craske was fighting fires most of the game when the previous two went missing on a regular basis, not sure what goes on in mcgavins mind at times, one minute he is on fire , the next he looks like an under 14 player who has had no coaching.
Collins and stobbs were what you would expect, very good for this league, ash and jarvis are finding a good understanding so I do not believe goals will be an issue, lets just hope we can score more than we let in. As an aside any one of half a dozen southampton B players would make our starting eleven.
Southampton don't have a B team. It was their under 21's we played. The lad that scored twice for them is 17!
Agree with what you say about McGavin- never know what you are going to get from him in any game let alone from week to week
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Thankful the PSF games are over, todays result proving none of us should take these games in Pre season with a huge pinch of salt.
Johnson has lots to work on this week especially in defence which was our achilles last season. Dover game as we all know is the bread and butter, we need a fast start to the season .
You owe us Johnson big time.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

And back he comes after a defeat.....

Technically he owes us nothing, we're back where we started.....
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Let’s be honest, Southampton have one of the most productive academies in the country (bale, Walcott, ox), and there’s also the ‘don’t get injured a week before the season’ element, so like every other friendly including Exeter don’t read too much into it! I expect we’ll sign one of their starting XI on loan next week too..
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

I thought B teams were all phased out in about 2001!!, It's flowering it up to call them Saints B team, we all know it was their U21's,...I said many weeks ago when we beat Reading's U16's I take nothing from pre season friendlies, they are merely a fitness exercise, I cannot believe people PAY good money to watch them?, What is the point??.GJ DOES owe us, it was his squad and his marquee signings, his formations and tactics, I'll stop now but you get my drift, sadly I can see us in NLS few a few years to come, this is our new level.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I sort of agree unfortunately - If Ash or Jarvis get injured then we have no back up whatsoever. Dawson has had a hamstring operation so god knows when he will be fit, and our back up players were either nowhere near good enough last season or like Martin were injured for all of it.

I'm sure we will score goals with the likes of Stobbs, Collins, Ash and Jarvis - clearly thats where our strength lies.

Our midfield lacks pace and there are major question marks over our defence. A decent centre half is needed and another striker as back up minimum.

Its ludicrous to suggest that Johnson doesnt owe us anything. Hes been paid enough money and hes failed miserably by getting relegated from a poor league last season.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

How much has he been paid?
Dave

DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

Southampton Gull wrote: 29 Jul 2023, 22:06 And back he comes after a defeat.....

Technically he owes us nothing, we're back where we started.....
Many others will disagree with you SG but it is all about opinions 🤷‍♂️
Even Johnson eventually admitted he owes us… maybe you missed that.
Internet problems sorted in Hants ? so welcome back
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 30 Jul 2023, 00:01 How much has he been paid?
Based on his achievements, too much
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 29 Jul 2023, 23:09 I thought B teams were all phased out in about 2001!!, It's flowering it up to call them Saints B team, we all know it was their U21's,...I said many weeks ago when we beat Reading's U16's I take nothing from pre season friendlies, they are merely a fitness exercise, I cannot believe people PAY good money to watch them?, What is the point??.GJ DOES owe us, it was his squad and his marquee signings, his formations and tactics, I'll stop now but you get my drift, sadly I can see us in NLS few a few years to come, this is our new level.
Fully agree Mr Tea808 I would not waste my money on pointless PSF. The important stuff starts at Dover.
Johnson admits he OWES us and he does Big Time.
A so called experienced previous Championship manager and now back in the 6th tier. As we are blessed with this situation, let’s hope we can come flying out of the blocks 🏃‍♂️
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

DB57 wrote: 30 Jul 2023, 06:04 Based on his achievements, too much
100% correct 👍
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

We will not play a team of that level for another year. Their no. 7 moved to Chelsea (before returning 2 months later) for £1.5mil. Their no’s 9 and 10 both played a couple of games in the prem last season.

Sometimes you just have to sit back and accept that we’ve been outplayed by a far better team. We won’t meet a team anywhere near that standard in the NLS.
The gulls are going up
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

DB57 wrote: 30 Jul 2023, 06:04 Based on his achievements, too much
Winning the NLS and getting us to the NL Playoff final? Well earned whatever it was.......
Dave

jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

Dawson has had an operation? Where did you hear that?