Pre-Season Friendlies

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 23 Jul 2023, 20:38 It's not about not liking it up 'em as you call it, it's a pre season game, the clues in the title, 9/10 both managers agree to not go in full blooded and to hold off a bit, steaming in and running around like a fruitcake in a pre season game dosen't impress me to be honest with you, last season we beat Exeter and look at what happened there, I take this result with a colossal pinch of salt, means little. .Injuries in pre season or causing them, what's the point? I don't get it .
Oh spare us. Stand off, take it easy, what rubbish. The preseason is meant to get you ready for the season and that is exactly what are they did. There is never really a true friendly and the boys did exactly what they should have in the circumstances. They deserved everything they’ve got and so did Exeter.
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

Both sides were equally up for it. Tom's challenge was the fruitiest of the afternoon, no doubt. Worthy of a yellow, no more. But Exeter were full blooded in their approach too. Let's say it was 90% of commitment you might see during season proper.

Overall, not worth much more discussion.
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

The red card and ‘tackles flying in everywhere’ are just excuses for Exeter. They had no answers on the pitch and are rightly worried that pretty much their first eleven was outplayed by a team three divisions below themselves.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 23 Jul 2023, 20:38 It's not about not liking it up 'em as you call it, it's a pre season game, the clues in the title, 9/10 both managers agree to not go in full blooded and to hold off a bit, steaming in and running around like a fruitcake in a pre season game dosen't impress me to be honest with you, last season we beat Exeter and look at what happened there, I take this result with a colossal pinch of salt, means little. .Injuries in pre season or causing them, what's the point? I don't get it .
Yeah, right. :rofl:
Its TUFC v The Greeks FFS...
Doesn't matter if its a pre season friendly or the game that wins the league.
Losing managers always find something to moan about....
What did Caldwell expect?
A tickling competition?
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Brewers boy »

A red card doesn't benefit anyone really in a friendly. Perhaps it would be better if the Ref could insist on the offender being substituted.
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

Brewers boy wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 11:11 A red card doesn't benefit anyone really in a friendly. Perhaps it would be better if the Ref could insist on the offender being substituted.
Maybe Sweeney shouldn't have reacted in the way he did, had he not wanted a red
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

If you wanted a friendly kick about pre season you'd hardly commit to a local derby ffs. If it comes to blaming GJ for something the usual moaners have no issues, now they're inventing issues because we're too committed? Do me a favour.....

Caldwell is rolling out the excuses and so it seems are the moaners on here.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Brewers boy wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 11:11 A red card doesn't benefit anyone really in a friendly. Perhaps it would be better if the Ref could insist on the offender being substituted.
I disagree, it actually gives both team an opportunity to play under forced circumstances that they will encounter in a full season and learn from it.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

In an ideal world, yellow for Tom and a yellow for their player. Talk to both captains and move on.

I thought it was a full blooded match, and they couldnt cope with us, anyone remember their player rugby tackling ours? If that first red hadn't happened, that would have been a red.

City manager and fans crying has made my week tbh.

Does it mean anything in the real world? Well if we play like that and don't get too many injuries and red cards, we'll do very well this season. If city play like that, then this time next year they'll only be a division between us, hopefully. 😉
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

Red card against Exeter didn't benefit anyone??? I did me, my only regret is that nine of them in those horrible red stripes didn't get sent off. Maybes then we could have got a cricket score! Never, never will I forget that play off 2008 and numerous unlucky defeats at their place over the years. Friendly or actual match I will happily watch us stuff them no matter, their arrogance has always shined through.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

To Gull 67......How are Exeter City arrogant?, I would say Argyle are more arrogant by a mile, as far as I see it, Exeter have got a great set up, fans owned, youth scheme 2nd to none, I get your comment, but it comes off as part envious, we beat them up in a friendly, brilliant, but it counts for little..What matters is trying to get out of the crap we find ourselves in,
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 20:18 To Gull 67......How are Exeter City arrogant?, I would say Argyle are more arrogant by a mile, as far as I see it, Exeter have got a great set up, fans owned, youth scheme 2nd to none, I get your comment, but it comes off as part envious, we beat them up in a friendly, brilliant, but it counts for little..What matters is trying to get out of the crap we find ourselves in,
Exeter City's model is one to be envied. Helped by still being a league club, their academy churns out players that can either slot into the ECFC team or/and get sold for pretty big money. It's a model to aspire to.

They're also 3 divisions above us, having historically generally been pretty close to us in the divisions. They're probably entitled to be a touch superior about it, even though it's often forgotten how lucky there were to survive (not long after Exeter fans showed up Plainmoor rattling buckets. I wonder if I can get my two quid back)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

Great post by happytorq, I just don't get the arrogance thing with what the other fan posted, it does help being leagues higher, and they've built it up over time, they were in conference, and very nearly went bust, I always thought their tribute to Adam Stanfield was very special, they've never hoofed it in the last 10 years, big clubs cherry pick their talent, yet they held their own in league 1 last season..I don't get arrogant vibes from them, in this forum last year we had fans taking the piss out of Dorkings set up, and last time in NLS we had pricks letting off flares at away games, us thinking we're to good for NLS etc, I find that arrogant..
Last edited by Mr Tea808 on 24 Jul 2023, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

GULL 67 wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 18:57 Red card against Exeter didn't benefit anyone??? I did me, my only regret is that nine of them in those horrible red stripes didn't get sent off. Maybes then we could have got a cricket score! Never, never will I forget that play off 2008 and numerous unlucky defeats at their place over the years. Friendly or actual match I will happily watch us stuff them no matter, their arrogance has always shined through.
Have nine sent off???....and the game be abandoned? Not many goals there...........
AdrianC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by AdrianC »

Well said! We are in the NLS because over the full season we deserve to be here. We have nothing to be arrogant about, turn up, be professional and win matches. Us as fans needs to do the same, no idiots with flares, no ripping the wotsits out of smaller grounds!