Q&A with Gary and Downesy.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

Well if Gary Johnson and Downsey thought they were going to get an easy ride at the forum last night - that notion was shattered with the very first question. One fan of 60 years standing, produced a prepared statement on a sheet of A4, bemoaning the fact that in his opinion last season was the worst football he had seen in all his years of watching the team. It went from bad to worse when the same fan reminded GJ of his “judge me after 10 games” statement from last pre season and he even asked GJ as to why he didn’t leave last season and “why are you still here?” :O . He also bemoaned the lack of progression from youth team to first team - pointing out the successes of the last couple of years, and yet none of last years intake has been retained and only Callum Evans has been taken on this time around.

It’s fair to say that this was probably a lot tougher ride than many had expected for the management team. Over the course of the evening they were challenged over poor recruitment and tactics and reminded of how many times during the early months of this year that we threw points away in the closing stages of games, particularly at home, where we saw several winning positions turn into disappointing draws and draws into defeats.

The lack of options, particularly attacking ones, from the bench, in the second half of the season was also raised and the suggestion was made that this had cost us countless points as other teams had the option to bring fresh options off the bench to affect games, when we couldn’t.

In their defence, the management team were keen to point out how they managed to get the team they wanted with ten games to go and tried to bring the focus around to how positively the team had finished with GJ bringing up the reference that Wrexham thought we were “the best team we have played” after the end of season clash.

GJ also reiterated his surprise at how many of that end of season team he had managed to retain. He expected to keep maybe 5 or 6, but ended up keeping 8 or 9. Downsey also revealed that 2 or 3 of those staying had also turned down more money at clubs higher up than us to stay - because they liked the club, liked working with the gaffer and the camaraderie in the squad.

They defended their position on PSFs - it was a club decision not to play local sides. A combination of injuries suffered to the likes of Martin, Lapslie, and Jarvis, combined with the poor state of some of these pitches, meant that their focused shifted to matches against u21 sides on pristine pitches and the chance to scout players from clubs they have a good relationship with was given priority.

On the subject of Dan Martin an update was given. They really like him both as a player and as a person but it is very much a case of “wait and see” as to whether we end up offering him a deal. As Downsey explained, his 45 minutes against Reading u21s was his first competitive action for 10 months. They are encouraged by that performance and the medical reports they have undertaken. He has suffered badly from what appears to be long Covid which badly affected his breathing and damaged his diaphragm. As GJ pointed out, one of his biggest strengths was, and hopefully still will be, his athleticism. But clearly until they are sure he is back to where he was they cannot offer him anything just yet, but they remain hopeful.

One attendee, rather unfairly in my opinion, questioned GJs success rate with young loanees he has brought in during his tenure and suggested his “success” rate was about 50/50. GJ rebuffed that, and suggested he might draw up a list of the good ‘uns in his programme notes. To be fair, I reckon we have had far more better ones than duff ones since he has been here.

GJ has very high hopes for Bradley Ash and is convinced the fans will love him and his attributes. They are still working on recruitment and clearly the loan market will play a big part in filling most of the gaps. He defended criticism of his recruitment by reminding people how difficult it is to get players down here, despite being a lovely area, they just don’t want to move away from the big cities and their families etc.

The concern over artificial pitches was raised and Downsey confirmed we face 8 of them this season - but he didn’t see it as too much of a problem as we train at SDC and of the current squad only Hall and Moxey are over 32 although Dawson has just recently turned 33 to add to that list. Most of the rest, he suggested, were at or close to the prime of their playing careers.

As for full time professional teams in this League - GJ passed that one over to Downsey (along with the artificial pitches one) as he only knew of us and Yeovil, but Downsey suggested Eastbourne are another one along with a couple of others (Havant etc) who he deemed “hybrid” which seemed to throw GJ!

There were comparisons made with the team that got us promoted from the NLS as champions last time around and GJ seemed to think that our current team would compete favourably with them, albeit it’s all hypothetical.

One questioner asked of all the players that we have had under their tenure who would they most like to see playing for us again now and whilst GJ rattled off half a dozen names, it was Downsey who came up with a straight answer … Kyle Cameron!

GJ also put up a stubborn defence of Clarke Osborne when questioned on the subject. He said in all honesty, he liked him and trusted him. He has no reason to lie as he’s in a job and towards the end of his career so why would he need to. He admitted that he keeps a low profile but that’s because he is a successful businessman who in his opinion is humble and doesn’t seek the limelight, but that he is a proper football man and that both his sons are involved in football too. In what capacity, he didn’t elaborate.

Whilst blowing his own trumpet, GJ also explained why he likes to keep any potential targets under wraps as much as possible as with over 40 years in the game, it often happens that if clubs get wind of who he is tracking, that attracts the interest of others. Of course when trialists are identified by fans, then there is nothing he can do!

On a final note, whilst some have questioned the validity of the strength of the Reading team we played, GJ still referred to them as their u21s. But for those wondering what the make up of the Bristol City team will be this Saturday, there was the “revelation” that we won’t be playing BCFCs u21s now after all. The reason being that BCFC were expecting to play Reading in a first team friendly but due to problems at Reading they have had to pull out of the fixture. So Bristol City have been in touch to ask if we would mind playing their FIRST team instead!!! Albeit, still behind closed doors.

So there you have it, far from the easy ride, that many might have expected! But, as is his way, GJs light hearted approach at times during the course of the evening, with the odd gag thrown in meant that it was all pretty convivial by the end - even managing to raise a smile at the end out of his most critical inquisitor!
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Thanks for that CP, really appreciate you taking the time to do that.

On this comment

"One attendee, rather unfairly in my opinion, questioned GJs success rate with young loanees he has brought in during his tenure and suggested his “success” rate was about 50/50. GJ rebuffed that, and suggested he might draw up a list of the good ‘uns in his programme notes. To be fair, I reckon we have had far more better ones than duff ones since he has been here."

I think 50/50 success rate on loanees would be incredible and I'm sure it is nowhere near that, I'm sure we call name a lot more duffs than successes. However overall I think GJ is pretty successful with loanees, but the important thing is that loanees are addition to squad that has a certain experienced spine.

I actually think his comment about 50/50 was quite telling - my opinion is that GJ let hubris get the better of him last year, believing he could pick a team of diamonds from the rough and took too much of a gamble on inexperienced players with potential and there wasn't enough experience necessary to allow the young players and loanees to bed in properly and give them a chance.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Valid questions by the sound of it. Not so sure about Johnsons answers though. Getting the team he wanted with ten games to go is a ludicrous answer. We were tailed off at that stage and that was his fault.
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

Oh dear that will surprise a couple of fellas. Wot can they pick on next?? Sky too blue? Sun too yellow. Or even sugar too sweet
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by CP Gull »

exilegull wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 12:00 Thanks for that CP, really appreciate you taking the time to do that.

On this comment

I think 50/50 success rate on loanees would be incredible and I'm sure it is nowhere near that, I'm sure we can name a lot more duffs than successes.
Hi Exile, I take your point, but have to say on this particular point I do agree with GJ. Without question we have seen some wonderful talent over the last few years and I highlight some of the very best below …..

By my calculations, we have had 43 loanees join us under GJ’s tenure. Some of whom went on to become permanent signings.

This is very subjective of course but these are the players who I feel improved us while they were here, some much more than others though:

Lemonheigh-Evans; Vincent; Janneh; Lewis; Cundy; Edwards; Longbridge; Boden; Law; Randell; Sherring; Armstrong; Duke-McKenna; Sparkes; Wearne; Collins; Dawson; De Silva; Ellis; Evans; Goodwin; Lawrence; Ness; Nouble; Stobbs

Those who did a job:

Warren; Azeez; Britton; Perritt;

Those who were disappointing:

James; Kimpioka; Sheaf; Street; Aguiar; Fadahunsi; Hughes; Smith

Who?

Touray; Medford-Smith; McNulty; Tomlinson (Lucas); Crole; Iseguan;

So overall, some absolute quality there, some solid, some disappointing and some long forgotten. But overall, not too many duds.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

teddiebear wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 13:18 Oh dear that will surprise a couple of fellas. Wot can they pick on next?? Sky too blue? Sun too yellow. Or even sugar too sweet
The Bee will be spitting out Tea for sure 😉
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Thank you for attending, and letting us know the gist of the questions.

I don't suppose anyone asked why we use the same routine from kick off every time, without success?
Think it was against Chesterfield where we had to restart 6 times (kick off and after each of the 5 goals) and only once did the opposition put the ball out of play to give us a advantage, the rest of the time we simply handed possession back to the opposition.

On the judge me after 10 games comment, always thought he meant that he judges the first team after those 10 games to see how they are progressing and not us judging him!
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by CP Gull »

Hi Tralee, yep the routine at kick off was indeed mentioned!!!

Obviously the idea is to get us up the pitch, but as GJ stated it “is never their intention for the ball to be kicked straight out of play, but sometimes nerves play a part”. He did also mention that he thought we did score a couple of goals from the routine- although couldn’t remember the games as such - where “Jarves” headed the ball on and it led to a goal.

As for the 10 games judgement, you are of course right. It is the time period GJ sets for himself to see where the team is at, rather than on what he is doing. But the guy who asked the question, perhaps quite rightly, felt it should also be applied to the management as well!
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

CP Gull wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 11:14 Well if Gary Johnson and Downsey thought they were going to get an easy ride at the forum last night - that notion was shattered with the very first question. One fan of 60 years standing, produced a prepared statement on a sheet of A4, bemoaning the fact that in his opinion last season was the worst football he had seen in all his years of watching the team. It went from bad to worse when the same fan reminded GJ of his “judge me after 10 games” statement from last pre season and he even asked GJ as to why he didn’t leave last season and “why are you still here?” :O . He also bemoaned the lack of progression from youth team to first team - pointing out the successes of the last couple of years, and yet none of last years intake has been retained and only Callum Evans has been taken on this time around.

It’s fair to say that this was probably a lot tougher ride than many had expected for the management team. Over the course of the evening they were challenged over poor recruitment and tactics and reminded of how many times during the early months of this year that we threw points away in the closing stages of games, particularly at home, where we saw several winning positions turn into disappointing draws and draws into defeats.

The lack of options, particularly attacking ones, from the bench, in the second half of the season was also raised and the suggestion was made that this had cost us countless points as other teams had the option to bring fresh options off the bench to affect games, when we couldn’t.

In their defence, the management team were keen to point out how they managed to get the team they wanted with ten games to go and tried to bring the focus around to how positively the team had finished with GJ bringing up the reference that Wrexham thought we were “the best team we have played” after the end of season clash.

GJ also reiterated his surprise at how many of that end of season team he had managed to retain. He expected to keep maybe 5 or 6, but ended up keeping 8 or 9. Downsey also revealed that 2 or 3 of those staying had also turned down more money at clubs higher up than us to stay - because they liked the club, liked working with the gaffer and the camaraderie in the squad.

They defended their position on PSFs - it was a club decision not to play local sides. A combination of injuries suffered to the likes of Martin, Lapslie, and Jarvis, combined with the poor state of some of these pitches, meant that their focused shifted to matches against u21 sides on pristine pitches and the chance to scout players from clubs they have a good relationship with was given priority.

On the subject of Dan Martin an update was given. They really like him both as a player and as a person but it is very much a case of “wait and see” as to whether we end up offering him a deal. As Downsey explained, his 45 minutes against Reading u21s was his first competitive action for 10 months. They are encouraged by that performance and the medical reports they have undertaken. He has suffered badly from what appears to be long Covid which badly affected his breathing and damaged his diaphragm. As GJ pointed out, one of his biggest strengths was, and hopefully still will be, his athleticism. But clearly until they are sure he is back to where he was they cannot offer him anything just yet, but they remain hopeful.

One attendee, rather unfairly in my opinion, questioned GJs success rate with young loanees he has brought in during his tenure and suggested his “success” rate was about 50/50. GJ rebuffed that, and suggested he might draw up a list of the good ‘uns in his programme notes. To be fair, I reckon we have had far more better ones than duff ones since he has been here.

GJ has very high hopes for Bradley Ash and is convinced the fans will love him and his attributes. They are still working on recruitment and clearly the loan market will play a big part in filling most of the gaps. He defended criticism of his recruitment by reminding people how difficult it is to get players down here, despite being a lovely area, they just don’t want to move away from the big cities and their families etc.

The concern over artificial pitches was raised and Downsey confirmed we face 8 of them this season - but he didn’t see it as too much of a problem as we train at SDC and of the current squad only Hall and Moxey are over 32 although Dawson has just recently turned 33 to add to that list. Most of the rest, he suggested, were at or close to the prime of their playing careers.

As for full time professional teams in this League - GJ passed that one over to Downsey (along with the artificial pitches one) as he only knew of us and Yeovil, but Downsey suggested Eastbourne are another one along with a couple of others (Havant etc) who he deemed “hybrid” which seemed to throw GJ!

There were comparisons made with the team that got us promoted from the NLS as champions last time around and GJ seemed to think that our current team would compete favourably with them, albeit it’s all hypothetical.

One questioner asked of all the players that we have had under their tenure who would they most like to see playing for us again now and whilst GJ rattled off half a dozen names, it was Downsey who came up with a straight answer … Kyle Cameron!

GJ also put up a stubborn defence of Clarke Osborne when questioned on the subject. He said in all honesty, he liked him and trusted him. He has no reason to lie as he’s in a job and towards the end of his career so why would he need to. He admitted that he keeps a low profile but that’s because he is a successful businessman who in his opinion is humble and doesn’t seek the limelight, but that he is a proper football man and that both his sons are involved in football too. In what capacity, he didn’t elaborate.

Whilst blowing his own trumpet, GJ also explained why he likes to keep any potential targets under wraps as much as possible as with over 40 years in the game, it often happens that if clubs get wind of who he is tracking, that attracts the interest of others. Of course when trialists are identified by fans, then there is nothing he can do!

On a final note, whilst some have questioned the validity of the strength of the Reading team we played, GJ still referred to them as their u21s. But for those wondering what the make up of the Bristol City team will be this Saturday, there was the “revelation” that we won’t be playing BCFCs u21s now after all. The reason being that BCFC were expecting to play Reading in a first team friendly but due to problems at Reading they have had to pull out of the fixture. So Bristol City have been in touch to ask if we would mind playing their FIRST team instead!!! Albeit, still behind closed doors.

So there you have it, far from the easy ride, that many might have expected! But, as is his way, GJs light hearted approach at times during the course of the evening, with the odd gag thrown in meant that it was all pretty convivial by the end - even managing to raise a smile at the end out of his most critical inquisitor!
Thank you for the update.
Pleased neither of them had an easy ride and they were correctly questioned for the mess they have got us in.
6th tier is not where we should be. The Management are responsible for this and the Owner. They are both very fortunate to be still in employment in my opinion, and that some are staying on despite being offered better elsewhere to me proves things are far too comfortable here or maybe a complete lack of ambition. It makes you wonder if the likes of Stobbs and Collins re-signed as this is a cushy adventure for them. Time will tell I guess. Off for a cuppa , which I wont be spitting out SG as always I will make my point known.
Thanks for this update, all my mates on the Popside did not attend as none of them has renewed their season tickets for this season.....and on a marketing query not one of them has recieved a phone call or email from the club to ask the reason why ?
Unbelievable Jeff
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

Thats just terrible
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

CP Gull wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 14:04 Hi Tralee, yep the routine at kick off was indeed mentioned!!!

Obviously the idea is to get us up the pitch, but as GJ stated it “is never their intention for the ball to be kicked straight out of play, but sometimes nerves play a part”. He did also mention that he thought we did score a couple of goals from the routine- although couldn’t remember the games as such - where “Jarves” headed the ball on and it led to a goal.

As for the 10 games judgement, you are of course right. It is the time period GJ sets for himself to see where the team is at, rather than on what he is doing. But the guy who asked the question, perhaps quite rightly, felt it should also be applied to the management as well!
10 games judgement has always been the benchmark for most . Many years ago I attended a fans forum at a club where Steve Coppell was the manager, so nothing new for GJ to dream this one up. Let us all hope we are in a good position or he will be in trouble for sure.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

DevonBee wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 14:19 It makes you wonder if the likes of Stobbs and Collins re-signed as this is a cushy adventure for them. Time will tell I guess.
lol, I don't think anybody signs for Torquay United expecting 'a cushy adventure'

You can't really understate at our level how important it is for a player to have the right environment; having spent a couple of months with us at the end of last season (during which time the team was - dare I say it - quite good), the both had two options; stay somewhere they'd played well at, for a manager he appears to like/respect, or take a chance at some other non-league side.

Stobbs probably thought his career would look at a lot different at this stage, having started out at Sheffield Wednesday. Then, at Oldham, he was part of a club that had a lot of off-the-field issues which really only went away when they were sold at the beginning of last season. I seem to recall he was the only one of the relegated Oldham side offered a new contract. Then that manager (John Sheridan) was sacked after only a few games.

The same is true for Collins - his career started pretty well at Newport but since stalled. Both of these players are young enough (especially Collins) that a season with us could prove to be a real springboard for the rest of their respective careers. I would not expect either of them to be with us after 23/24. If things go as well as we hope/expect, they'll probably be in demand at other clubs, and if they don't go as well, it's likely because they've not been able to replicate previous form and would be released.

TL:DR; both of these players are fighting for their careers. If they don't perform they're probably not going to be full time professional footballers any more.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

Cushy just for Johnson and his sidekick then.
Sounds like the questions asked to them last night by the fans , are questions that should have been asked by the other Dynamic Duo Osborne and Mr Charisma Edwards.
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

Yawny yawny
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

Thanks for this CP.

Did anyone ask about the Jarvis situation and the likelihood of him staying.

I have read the public comments and GJ is unlikely to divert from his recent line, but just wondered whether it was brought up.