Southend United

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Brewers boy »

I feel sorry for the fans, but I really do hope they go bust. I'm sick of clubs taking the piss with money. Not only have HMRC not been paid, but the staff have not been paid since the last winding up order. Something needs to be done to send a warning to clubs that this is not ok.
The EFA need to step in to stop this happening, maybe stripping points from clubs during periods when players and staff have not been paid.
bobbytanz1963
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by bobbytanz1963 »

It could be that Southend end up in Administration thereby stopping the winding up action from HMRC. The result of this would probably be a points deduction in season 2023/24.

If memory serves me correctly various clubs went through this process in the close season OR when their fate had been decided as they were relegated snd s points deduction didn’t matter

The long and the short of it is that we will be playing in NLS
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

bobbytanz1963 wrote: 04 May 2023, 23:36 It could be that Southend end up in Administration thereby stopping the winding up action from HMRC. The result of this would probably be a points deduction in season 2023/24.

If memory serves me correctly various clubs went through this process in the close season OR when their fate had been decided as they were relegated snd s points deduction didn’t matter

The long and the short of it is that we will be playing in NLS

EFL clubs face a points deduction can’t remember if it’s 10 or 12. But the National league are tough on clubs that go in administration and I’m sure they demote the team to next level. Personally we need a decision before June. Clutching at straws, but remember Gary saying a club facing financial problems at the end of season could save us. It happened with aldershot, they got relegated and saved from relegation. Who knows but I for one will take a reprieve
Lucy
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

lucy6lucy wrote: 05 May 2023, 01:36 EFL clubs face a points deduction can’t remember if it’s 10 or 12. But the National league are tough on clubs that go in administration and I’m sure they demote the team to next level. Personally we need a decision before June. Clutching at straws, but remember Gary saying a club facing financial problems at the end of season could save us. It happened with aldershot, they got relegated and saved from relegation. Who knows but I for one will take a reprieve
The National League ( Conference that was) would NOT have any teams in their Competition that are in administration. That means Southend would not be just demoted to NLS but to the Southern League, or below.

I seem to recall (I think) Aldershot going into administration and the NL not accepting them. They started at a lower level...,.and Southend should be treated the same. Will it save us ? ....in all honesty, we do not deserve it but would clutch at any straws in our position.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

The worst outcome for us would be if Southend were relegated to the NLS as they'd be major rivals for promotion.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

standupsitdown wrote: 05 May 2023, 11:32 The worst outcome for us would be if Southend were relegated to the NLS as they'd be major rivals for promotion.
Not necessarily.
If they were relegated, according to the rules of the NL, we would be reprieved from relegation - and has previously mentioned, they would drop down two divisions presuming that they could carry on.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

All will be revealed at the High Court hearing on 17th May - just 12 days away. Feel sorry for the Southend fans Also saddened to hear Yeovil Town takeover collapses amid financial uncertainty.

Five years ago we were on the brink of administration until a man (we all love to hate) pulled us out of the mire. Keeps bellowing we need a new ground to be sustainable whilst he continues to prop up a club losing £1million a year. He has committed to a full-time outfit again next season so maybe we should give him some slack because without him (love him or hate him) I fear we will be wiped off the face of the footballing map.
Plymgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Plymgull »

This could be us in a few more years so i won't wish it on any club, No matter how much i don't want us to be in wood league.
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

MellowYellow wrote: 05 May 2023, 17:19 All will be revealed at the High Court hearing on 17th May - just 12 days away. Feel sorry for the Southend fans Also saddened to hear Yeovil Town takeover collapses amid financial uncertainty.

Five years ago we were on the brink of administration until a man (we all love to hate) pulled us out of the mire. Keeps bellowing we need a new ground to be sustainable whilst he continues to prop up a club losing £1million a year. He has committed to a full-time outfit again next season so maybe we should give him some slack because without him (love him or hate him) I fear we will be wiped off the face of the footballing map.
Is the manager and his assistant committed to being full time next season - or is it just the players?
bobbytanz1963
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by bobbytanz1963 »

Plymgull wrote: 05 May 2023, 20:36 This could be us in a few more years so i won't wish it on any club, No matter how much i don't want us to be in wood league.

Fear not as one of the major sponsors of the club as well as this loyal season ticket holder both deal with impending Insolvency situations !

All can be saved with the correct strategy 👍
shrimperama
New Signing
New Signing

Post by shrimperama »

Hi Southend fan here.

As much as I will miss the Torquay away day/weekend teams finish where they finish.

A few things to clarify.

The club does not live beyond it's means. We have a healthy support for national league level. A 6k average and 8500 on the last day.

What we have is a man solely focused on not spending a penny of his money on the club apart from essentially keeping it on life support so that the club can move stadium and he makes, reportedly 22 million profit.

He likes to treat everyone at the club with utter contempt. He hasn't attended games for a while due to the abuse he gets.

We have been under several embargoes, which has led to 2 relegations and killed our chances of the play offs this season.

This is our 20th winding up order under Ron Martins ownership. Roots hall has not had a penny spent on it for 10 years and sections are condemned. If it fails it's annual H&S check, we could be ground sharing.

It's not the fans fault. We have been incredibly loyal in the face of oblivion on many occasions.

We do not have big name or big earning players. We aren't living beyond our means as some on here are suggesting.

He doesn't have any chance of paying the tax bill and nobody would touch him with a bargepole for a loan.

He is a terrible owner, an odious little man and exactly the sort that should be nowhere near a football club.

Our only hope is that we are sold in the coming weeks. There are rumours of various consortium's with Steve Nash (basketball legend) and a few billionaire pals looking to invest. I think this will be presented to the court to get a stay of execution. That might be enough for HMRC but with us still under an embargo and an exodus of players expected, the national league could still kick us out.

It's never dull at southend but this is the closest to bust we have ever been.

A club averaging 6k in the 5th tier should never be in this situation.

I hope that clears things a little and hope you come back at the first attempt.
Rootshallbloke
New Signing
New Signing

Post by Rootshallbloke »

You never know, we might just have a new owner shortly after the next High Court appearance, which in turn could well mean that our current o/s liabilities are cleared and we carry on in the NL. Always worth offering up all the possibilities.
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

Can't see why your posting on here chaps, it's got nothing to do with us. Me and the Boy are looking forward to a decent season in the NLS with loads of local derbies (one season only mind). Always felt a bit sorry visiting your Town and seeing a horrible West Ham shop in your town centre. Thought the cheeky bastards should have more class than to be encroaching on you territory. Best wishes.
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

It is the 18th(!) (or 20th according to the Southend fan) winding up order that Southend have faced under its current owner. He always pays at the last minute. It does mean that Southend keep all their best players for a season. If the general staff and taxes were paid on time then the experienced players would presumably be too expensive and they would have to field a seriously weakened team like other clubs in the league. The owner is just gaming the system.
Of course, it is not fair to the Southend fans who have no say in the matter.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Sadly there are too many people like the Southend owner involved in football. Whatever fit and proper tests that existed once are clearly not applied any more. It’s very sad for the fans, who have to endure the worst of people in their lives. I suspect this bloke will pay up somehow. When I was in practice as an accountant I had a few clients who fell foul of HMRC, mostly small traders struggling with cash flow. HMRC generally treated them ruthlessly, I remember a pub tenant client late with his VAT who had a visit to remove his furniture, when I pointed out that this would stop him trading & generating cash to pay his VAT I was told by HMRC that this was a “punishment”. Yet this Southend owner goes to court repeatedly.