TorquayFans.com Player of the Year

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

TorquayFans.com Player of the Year

Post by Gulliball »

The final votes have been counted and the full results for the season are as below. Thank-you to everyone who voted throughout the season. Mark Halstead takes the crown on fan voting, very narrowly ahead of Aaron Jarvis and Dean Moxey.

It has been 13 years now of running these votes on this site, which gives quite a lot of seasonal data to compare like for like, as they have all used the same scoring system. If you are interested in that, this link takes you to the overview page for the Player of the Year votes: https://www.torquayfanstats.com/player-of-the-year

Having been very similar to the offical player of the year for the first 10 years, this is the third season in a row with a different winner to the traditional end of season voting format. I think it was curiousity around Mustapha Carayol winning end of season awards despite only playing regularly from about February in the previous season that inspired me to start doing this out of curiousity those 13 years ago now, so it's interesting to see a different winner. In reality though, Halstead and Jarvis/Moxey were so close this year, there was virtually nothing between them (7 points are available per match, so literally one game in it).

Last season saw Joe Lewis (167 points) score the highest score we have had in all 13 seasons, beating the total Guy Branston set in the very first year, but he tailed off a little towards the end of the season and Shaun MacDonald (118 points) won the fan vote, in what is the biggest discrepancy in all 13 years. The year before saw Adam Randell win on here (130 points) from Lemonheigh-Evans (124 points) but Connor won the fan vote, although that also only had less than one game between the two, so very hard to determine.

Final Finishing Positions

​1. Mark Halstead (128)
2. Aaron Jarvis (121)
3. Dean Moxey (120)
4. Tom Lapslie (105)
5. Nico Lawrence (81)
6. Kieron Evans (60)
7. Will Goodwin (58)
8. Shaun Donnellan (57)
9. Asa Hall (44)
10. Dillon De Silva (37)
11. Mark Ellis (36)
12. Ali Omar (30)
13. Frank Nouble (26)
14. Brett McGavin (23)
15. Kevin Dawson (21)
16. Lewis Collins (20)
17. Ben Wyatt (19)
18. Scott Smith (18)
19. Ross Marshall (16)
20. Rhys Lovett (15)
21. Stephen Wearne (14)
22. Dylan Crowe (13)
​23. Jack Stobbs (12)
24. Lucas Ness (9)
25. Tope Fadahunsi (7)
26. Dan Martin (6)
27. Ryan Hanson (4)
28. Chinwike Okoli (3)
29. Nelson Iseguan (2)
30. Ashley Nathaniel-George (1)

Man of the Match Winners

Mark Halstead - 9
Aaron Jarvis - 7
Dean Moxey - 7
Tom Lapslie - 5
Nico Lawrence - 4
Mark Ellis - 3
Will Goodwin - 2
Asa Hall - 2
Frank Nouble - 2
Ali Omar - 2
Lewis Collins - 1
Shaun Donnellan - 1
Lucas Ness - 1

Player of the Month

August - Dean Moxey
September - Will Goodwin
October - Dean Moxey
November - Aaron Jarvis
December - Mark Halstead
January - Shaun Donnellan
February - Tom Lapslie
March - Nico Lawrence
April - ​Aaron Jarvis

Full results: https://www.torquayfanstats.com/poty-2022-23
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Well done for doing this over what became a nightmare season and im sure lack of engagement due to football!

Mark Halstead was my POTS and glad to see his consistency was recognised by others

:-D
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Mark Halstead has won the coveted TUST sponsored Ian Twitchin Trophy for the player making the most appearances. I was able to tell him of this award after Saturday's match.
He should be receiving his trophy at a special ceremony before the start of next season.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

You'd have to think that had Jarvis not missed the first ten games or so of the season (as well as one because of a sending off), he'd probably have won it.

Still - no problem with Halstead, he was my second choice in the official POTS vote.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 02 May 2023, 18:34 Well done for doing this over what became a nightmare season and im sure lack of engagement due to football!

Mark Halstead was my POTS and glad to see his consistency was recognised by others

:-D
Yeah, a few of the seasons have been harder than others for sure. It's much nicer when everyone is happy, there's lots of players to choose between and everything is simple. 2015-18 sort of time was the worst for that. The different seasons do make for interesting data, and in seasons like 2018/19 the points were quite well spread out as lots of players chipped in a lot. In other seasons one player might run away with it as they are on a level above the rest of the squad.
happytorq wrote: 02 May 2023, 19:00 You'd have to think that had Jarvis not missed the first ten games or so of the season (as well as one because of a sending off), he'd probably have won it.

Still - no problem with Halstead, he was my second choice in the official POTS vote.
Yeah, that's always an interesting what if. But the counter point is that he didn't play in those games, we didn't take points from those games etc, so it's a reflection on the season as it panned out, each game counting exactly the same as every other.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Gulliball wrote: 02 May 2023, 19:11 Yeah, that's always an interesting what if. But the counter point is that he didn't play in those games, we didn't take points from those games etc, so it's a reflection on the season as it panned out, each game counting exactly the same as every other.
The way the vote is counted means that somebody who performs at 6/10 for 40 games is probably going to be ranked higher than a 9/10 who only plays 20. That's fine by me - after all, Asa Hall was basically fantastic for the last 8 games but we missed that beforehand. And we've seen that consistency is something we've struggled with, both as a team and from individuals, so to see Halstead's consistency rewarded in this way is great.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Definitely my POTS. Without him first half of season we'd have been down by February!