Torquay United v Wrexham Sat 29 April KO 5.30pm.

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
LikeaPatOutaHele
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Watches from: Pop side

Post by LikeaPatOutaHele »

I don't think Impey was manager when we were relegated from division 3. I recall as it that he was sacked early into that post promotion season. It may have been Ivan Golac who was manager at the end of the season. Was not the quote by Bateson hiring him, "I gave him an offer he should have refused". I think we were already deep in the mire when he arrived. Golac was not retained for the following season.
ALTE
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by ALTE »

Absolutely unbelievable that GJ is staying on. It occurs to me from the post match interview that he see's this season as bad luck rather than below par player selection and poor in game strategy and tactics. To talk about being the one to take a team forward, having just successfully overseen an absolute shit show of a season...its gobsmacking. He should have been gone in january. His words suggest hes living in lala land. Get real Gj and resign.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Well its happening, you better get used to it

especially if GJ was telling players after the final whistle whether it was goodbye or we'd like to keep you

is it the easy option - yes
is it the right option - the next couple of months will be the proof and who can GJ persudae to stay however GJ must have had some assurances over the playing budget
Colorado
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Peter Coffill

Post by Colorado »

GJ stays.
I want to throw up. Pathetic
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

Yessssss
eddie6817
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by eddie6817 »

The owner in my mind has little interest in the club at this point in time its more of a hindrance to him he couldn't care less hence GJ stays better the devil you know so to speak. Big mistake in my estimation only time will tell sadly.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

GullsUnited wrote: 29 Apr 2023, 22:33 Supporting the club by selecting games I assume when we're doing well? Would it not be better to find something else to do on a match if you're THAT unhappy?
Just my opinion and the same as many others GullsUnited…. Call me old fashioned but I wish to be entertained and excited when I attend matches. The 6th tier of which we should be nowhere near, and hopefully leading the way assuming Johnson does not balls up again. Viewing overweight plasters, builders and plumbers is not wetting my whistle at this moment. I am not alone with my views as the guys I stand with on the Pop feel the same.
The club need support, but It was time to thank and say goodbye to Johnson but we have rewarded his failure.
I sincerely hope he recruits well this summer, and take the plaudits of being Full Time in the NLS as a Part Time manager.
One thing for sure it will not be easy.
As for me and others….plenty of other options to spend my money when I wish to, but thanks for the advice 😘
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

Colorado wrote: 30 Apr 2023, 02:56 GJ stays.
I want to throw up. Pathetic
It could only happen here.
Rewards for failure 😣
Or should we say the easy option.
Hope like the rest of the lightweight losers he is taking a mighty pay cut.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

Here goes this is what has been churning around in my head all night so please bare with me.
Thank you Gary for relegation and the worst season I have witnessed in the last 56 years supporting this club.
The fact that you appear to accept no responsibility what so ever for the season and blame everyone and everything but yourself is unforgivable.
It is a disgrace that the owners are keeping you on but we never expected anything else.
So what have we got to look forward to?
Inept recruitment.
Inept coaching.
Inept management.
Will you resign if we are not top of the NLS after 10 games? Of course not you'll just blame everybody else again.
Will I renew my season ticket? Of course I will because I love my team.
Have a great summer all those who really care about Torquay United, us the fans.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

6667GULL wrote: 30 Apr 2023, 07:34 Here goes this is what has been churning around in my head all night so please bare with me.
Thank you Gary for relegation and the worst season I have witnessed in the last 56 years supporting this club.
The fact that you appear to accept no responsibility what so ever for the season and blame everyone and everything but yourself is unforgivable.
It is a disgrace that the owners are keeping you on but we never expected anything else.
Inept recruitment.
Inept coaching.
Inept management.
Will you resign if we are not top of the NLS after 10 games? Of course not you'll just blame everybody else again.
Have a great summer all those who really care about Torquay United, us the fans.
Spot on.
On TUFC radio yesterday the commentator said something along the lines of "we'll regroup and come back and get into the big time" (he might have said big league). If we're considering NL to be the big time (and yes its now littered with ex-league clubs who are probably in a similar situation to us) it just shows how far we've fallen. If I compare our relegation from League 1 and the Leroy period it was a super group of players and a great ride and a sad end to that great ride but this tbh has been a joke. Players and managers are just moments in time but they don't have a longer term view of the players, managers and the football we've enjoyed historically to be served up mediocrity at best over the last 2 seasons. It is what it is but hopefully come this time next season we'll have secured promotion playing attractive football and with the nucleus of a squad to carry momentum towards the play off places in the NL.
numbersderkgull
Trialist
Trialist

Post by numbersderkgull »

6667GULL wrote: 30 Apr 2023, 07:34 Here goes this is what has been churning around in my head all night so please bare with me.
Inept recruitment.
Inept coaching.
Inept management.
Spot on.

The only possible plus side I see in keeping Gary on, is hopefully his past achievements will help attract some players, more so than an unknown manager. Though after this year, that former football league clout must be fading.

I fear, however, we will be in November, sitting in 14th, our recent ‘marquee’ loan being an Exeter outcast, showing ability to say he’ll only end up at Tiverton Town and Gary telling us to judge him after the next 17 games.
ministander
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: willie brown

Post by ministander »

On an entirely different note, how come our attendance was just shy of 5000, and described as sold out. According to all the published figures i can find, our stadium capacity is 6,200. ??
Did we give away 1200 tickets? if so, to whom? or have i missed something here?
If indeed we did "comp" all those tickets are we mad? that is at least another £15k that could be in the pot for next year!!
Anyone else bothered by this?
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 29 Apr 2023, 21:46

wow what an interview

Gary confirms he is staying
It was a lack of quality Players, Not Lady Luck. Or injuries, oR the Refs, it was players you brought in. Please Get players in for next season let us know on the signings as they happen not drip feed us and make it a stage show of the price was right. And that’s all we could afford.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

ministander wrote: 30 Apr 2023, 09:08 On an entirely different note, how come our attendance was just shy of 5000, and described as sold out. According to all the published figures i can find, our stadium capacity is 6,200. ??
Did we give away 1200 tickets? if so, to whom? or have i missed something here?
If indeed we did "comp" all those tickets are we mad? that is at least another £15k that could be in the pot for next year!!
Anyone else bothered by this?
Yes a so called sell out. Pathetic really and lots voting with their feet. A nothing game and who wanted to seriously see the Welsh imbreds celebrate on our patch as we fall to Tier 6.
Be interesting to see the reduction in season ticket prices for the Pastie League.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

I'd imagine numerous ST holders didn't turn up, plus maybe people who bought 6 tickets couldn't actually sell them like they hoped to. Which if true, is great their out of pocket, but a shame for genuine fans.

Well I guess like a few others, I didn't sleep well last night. Thinking about what's happened. How a league where apart from the top two teams, has been so poor. The Play offs were there for any one to grab, and in a poor league we've been relegated.

As for yesterday though, the display was immense. And for twenty minutes or so it really felt like the impossible might happen. One of those games where you feel every emotion. Such a shame the majority of that first 11 will now leave, as that's a Play Off team.

As for next season, TUFC comes first, whatever your feelings about the manager and owner, the club needs us supporters now more than ever. We'll need to get out of that league ASAP. As for Gary, hopefully give him to Christmas and if we're not top 6...........

As for Gary, he is stuburn, hes old school and will keep that shield of protection up, which means not accepting blame, telling us about injuries, explaining his reasonings for formations etc.
I'm pretty sure he's never said "judge me after 10 games" thought it was more he judges the players after 10. I may well be wrong.
With GJ in charge, I guess he may be able to convince some to stay that otherwise would most certainly be off, but from that first 11, realistically how many will be here next season? Could easily see it being none of them.

Someone said about a pay cut, I'm pretty sure Gary said last week that his salary is unaffected, but the players will be. Can only assume he was given a 3 year contract on the eve of the Play off final, with a relegation clause in it. Although he hoped that would of applied to league two relegation and not National league. No one thought two years later, we'd be here.

The mist important thing is the club, I'll buy a Season ticket again, and support the team. If it hasn't gelled by Christmas, I think even our club will realise its time to act.

I don't know why we don't have a better relationship with ECFC and Plymouth, these clubs must have players available to loan us, or after some poor attempts we've given up?

I'll be there in August, sun shining, lush pitch, full of hope, most likely somewhat diminished by around 3.10.
That's football.