Uncle Clarke part 812

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Toastkid - are you related to Johnson because you constantly seem to be pro him when he has messed up big time this season.

I appreciate that everyone has an opinion, but posting that Johnson will take us straight back up and then apparently we will do well in the national league = I mean ok but do you actually base that on anything, It just seems completely nonsensical to me. What we dont need is a manager who lives in Bristol and an assistant who lives even further away in Cheltenham. Thats ridiculous for starters.

Hockey gull - FFS stop talking nonsense. We are NOT going to turn the goal difference around. We are relegated.
HockeyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by HockeyGull »

Brucie......which is why it was prefaced "unthinkable."
As you say "everyone has an opinion"....and deals with their disappointment in their own way.
Mine just happens to be mindless optimism.
Which is probably why I still turn up every home game.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

Mind you no one expected us to beat Wrexham 6-1 in Cyril Knowles first game just months after the police dog escape against Crewe.
Colorado
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Peter Coffill

Post by Colorado »

“Mindless” optimism. Perhaps that’s part of the problem
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

dawlishmatt wrote: 24 Apr 2023, 19:23 Never in doubt, it was obvious that we would remain full time next season. I think that it's time that the likes of Southampton Gull and SNW get behind uncle Clarke and support the club on it's way back to the national league next season.
You're barking if you think I'd ever support Osborne. Time will prove his true intentions but he's not ever going to be a fan is he and that tells me all I need to know. Bristol Rovers, Poole Swindon and Reading Speedway and now he's supposedly a messiah for us? I'll support my club no matter what league we find ourselves in when he's done with us.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I dont think anybody thinks hes the messiah but lets face it he's still bankrolling the club. If hes running the thing down then why on earth were we able to get Stobbs, Collins, Dawson and Nouble in towards the end of the season. In the case of the loanees their wages would obviously have to be paid and I guess Nouble hardly came cheap.

It isnt Osbornes fault that we were relegated (unless you blame him for not dismissing the manager earlier in the season)

Its a shame that its ended like it has for Johnson and its a crying shame that we couldnt get these players in earlier.

But that said Johsnon has mismanaged his squad all season long. We have 3 centre halves in Marshall, Omar and Tomlinson who are rarely in the starting line up - being kept out by two utilty players in Moxey and Donnelan. We've struggled without having a back up striker on the bench for half a season.

Johnson is of pensionable age and now has the chance to retire - there is no guarantee we will get anyone in better, but we need someone in with more energy who can forge some sort of team spirit, not someone with his feet up managing the team from 100 miles away.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Admiral wrote: 24 Apr 2023, 18:59 Johnson also inherited a lot of Owers’ players who turned out to be good.
He did, that's true.
Difference being that Owers couldn't get them to play as a team and was fired.
Johnson turned them into a decent team in the NLS which led to the Championship.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

dawlishmatt wrote: 24 Apr 2023, 19:23 Never in doubt, it was obvious that we would remain full time next season. I think that it's time that the likes of Southampton Gull and SNW get behind uncle Clarke and support the club on it's way back to the national league next season.

I'm sure you know that SG & Myself have and always will support the team through thick and thin.
The problem you still can't seem to grasp after all this time that we - and many others - don't trust Osbornes intentions.
I mean, its not like he's forever talking about the club FFS.
One statement at the end of the season again....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

One statement at the end of the season to state that he will keep the players on full time but apart from that the statement hardly instills confidence.Basically we will try our best to gain promotion next season.Must have taken so much thought to come up with that.
We will probably get a statement at the beginning of the season saying something to that effect and then the standard silence until the end of next season to roll out something else depending what our position is .
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

We've had a bad season, get over it. Move on.

People will knock me for standing by Johnson, but I like the guy. I would prefer it if he did come out and admit when he got it wrong, but managers make decisions without the hindsight of the result, when we can all criticise.

We weren't a million miles away from having a decent team. Take the last 9 or 10 games. A few silly errors cost us. Going down isn't all bad news. A chance to rebuild and to win a few games, then back and at it.

So moan at me moaners, for being fine with it all. It's all good.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

toastkid wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 06:17 Going down isn't all bad news. A chance to rebuild and to win a few games, then back and at it.
Some people said that in 2014 and look where we are.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

toastkid wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 06:17
We weren't a million miles away from having a decent team. Take the last 9 or 10 games.
Yes we are. The starting line up contains five loanees who will all go back to their parent clubs.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Southampton Gull wrote: 24 Apr 2023, 21:18 You're barking if you think I'd ever support Osborne. Time will prove his true intentions but he's not ever going to be a fan is he and that tells me all I need to know. Bristol Rovers, Poole Swindon and Reading Speedway and now he's supposedly a messiah for us? I'll support my club no matter what league we find ourselves in when he's done with us.
Woof woof.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 00:39 I'm sure you know that SG & Myself have and always will support the team through thick and thin.
The problem you still can't seem to grasp after all this time that we - and many others - don't trust Osbornes intentions.
I mean, its not like he's forever talking about the club FFS.
One statement at the end of the season again....
SNW, It will be over 7 years that Uncle Clarke has been bankrolling the club. Like me both you and SG have been loyal supporters of TUFC for many many years. Osborne did make a statement after the club's AGM on September 30th 2022 that he would continue to bankroll the club. This situation has to change, in my opinion Uncle Clarke has never let the club down and like last season, I will again purchase a season ticket to support him. Like this season however, I will not attend matches whilst Gary Johnson remains as manager.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

toastkid wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 06:17 We've had a bad season, get over it. Move on.

People will knock me for standing by Johnson, but I like the guy. I would prefer it if he did come out and admit when he got it wrong, but managers make decisions without the hindsight of the result, when we can all criticise.

We weren't a million miles away from having a decent team. Take the last 9 or 10 games. A few silly errors cost us. Going down isn't all bad news. A chance to rebuild and to win a few games, then back and at it.

So moan at me moaners, for being fine with it all. It's all good.
No moaning from me. I've always liked him too. I hope he gets a new 2 year deal to get us back up and have another crack, he was close before.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com