Uncle Clarke part 812

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

The BBC article merely repeats the interview Johnston gave to Dom Mee on Saturday after the Altrincham game.
I don't think anything was said by Johnson to indicate he will or won't be manager next season.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Willowgull wrote: 24 Apr 2023, 15:29 BBC Sport published an interview with GJ a couple of hours ago.
must be a different piece to the one I've read, because from what I saw there was absolutely nothing about him looking forward to next season. it was vague platitudes about "the club can get back up" with no sense that he'd be anywhere near Plainmoor to help.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Cannot see why anyone in their right mind would want Johnson to stay on as manager.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

brucie wrote: 24 Apr 2023, 16:24 Cannot see why anyone in their right mind would want Johnson to stay on as manager.
guess that's me, then.

I would feel 100% more confident in the chances of a quick return to the NL with Johnson than I would with any of the other names we're likely to be linked with. Off the top of my head I can't think of anybody else who I'd feel happy with. Of course, that's not to say there isn't one (I don't know who's available) but if it's not Johnson I would be absolutely convinced that it'd be somebody like, I dunno, Chris Hargreaves, who has never acheived anything as a manager. Johnson has.

Of course, if suddenly Osborne pulls a rabbit out of the hat, I could change my mind, but despite this abject season, if GJ was still in charge come august I'd be quite confident that we'd make a decent fist of it next season.

Tell me this - if not Johnson, who? Every time this topic comes out people are asked who is out there who they genuinely think is a better manager than Johnson, and every time, there's no response.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

https://www.devonlive.com/sport/torquay ... ls-8380882

“I am sure that the mood of deflation pervades as we all look towards what is very likely, but not mathematically certain, our relegation to the National League South. I feel for everyone connected with Torquay United both those working tirelessly for the Club and for the brilliant supporters who have supported with passion and commitment throughout this season.

“George Edwards, Mel Hayman and the team will have much work to do in preparing for next season, and this will follow our season closing game against the National League champions on Saturday, when, whatever the result, I know that everyone will congratulate Wrexham on their success, which has certainly raised the profile of the National League and football.

“For us, next season in whatever league it is business as usual, a full time professional, well supported club planning and striving for promotion. Together, let’s look towards next season with excitement and anticipation. I certainly am.” :lol:
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs

Post by culmstockgull »

Admiral, we have no assets to strip,none what so ever, so lets yet again question his obviously dubious motives for continuing, cannot claim asset stripping, cannot hope the council will give him the ground, the youth set up will never produce a ronaldo, if we did Johnson would probably play him at left back.
Osborne has totally kept to his bargain of five year funding when there was no others willing to take on the burden, I do not see the TUST with their five pounds sixteen and a penny stepping in to do any better.
Yes, I agree he doesnt communicate, I bet the sheikh of Man city doesn't either, why should he have too, he has a MD and a manager to do that, he could micromanage and tell johnson who to play every week,would that be any better, he could buy the fans a pint after every match, hold a forum every month. But not withstanding he would still be the arch enemy in many eyes.
But he has spoken and when it mattered and in excess of his five year commitment he has come out and said we will remain full time and more of his money will be spent, he did not have to, he could have sold it to the TUST for a pound and walked away and watched us fail to meet our fixtures in the south due to no money. as the owner he could cut his loosses and place us in bankcruptcy and we would be playing upton athletic next term.
What do you want from this man, we do not have to like him on a personal level but remember he saved and continues to fund this club of ours.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

culmstockgull wrote: 24 Apr 2023, 16:36 Admiral, we have no assets to strip,none what so ever, so lets yet again question his obviously dubious motives for continuing, cannot claim asset stripping, cannot hope the council will give him the ground, the youth set up will never produce a ronaldo, if we did Johnson would probably play him at left back.
Osborne has totally kept to his bargain of five year funding when there was no others willing to take on the burden, I do not see the TUST with their five pounds sixteen and a penny stepping in to do any better.
Yes, I agree he doesnt communicate, I bet the sheikh of Man city doesn't either, why should he have too, he has a MD and a manager to do that, he could micromanage and tell johnson who to play every week,would that be any better, he could buy the fans a pint after every match, hold a forum every month. But not withstanding he would still be the arch enemy in many eyes.
But he has spoken and when it mattered and in excess of his five year commitment he has come out and said we will remain full time and more of his money will be spent, he did not have to, he could have sold it to the TUST for a pound and walked away and watched us fail to meet our fixtures in the south due to no money. as the owner he could cut his loosses and place us in bankcruptcy and we would be playing upton athletic next term.
What do you want from this man, we do not have to like him on a personal level but remember he saved and continues to fund this club of ours.
He would have assets to strip if he got his hands on the freehold of the ground.
As I have said before, he won't walk away due to the money he has put into the club.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs

Post by culmstockgull »

SuperNickyWroe, I totally agree that if had the keys to plainmoor he may have something to sell or develop, but he hasnt so he cant, if we broadly agree that so far he is 5 million down on the Torquay deal ,how is that a good deal for a businessman, there is no way he could get his money back under any development that we could enviage.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

happytorq wrote: 24 Apr 2023, 15:20 you have a source for this, please?

I'd assumed that Johnson was out of here given both his comments on saturday (talking about "the club" and not "we"), and the tone of the Osborne statement. Despite everything, I'd prefer him to stay on and fix the mess.
Johnson needs to go hopefully retire .
If he was to stay, another crap start and the fans will be ready to vent their anger ….and we all know he can only face the plaudits when we win. Go now after this complete disaster of a season of which you are responsible.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

I agree with Culmstock.

I'd even go further, if Osborne works well with GJ, then fine by me. We had a stinker of a season, but I genuinely feel that if GJ has another go, he'll get us back up and we'll be a force to reckon with the season after next.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

happytorq wrote: 24 Apr 2023, 16:34 guess that's me, then.

I would feel 100% more confident in the chances of a quick return to the NL with Johnson than I would with any of the other names we're likely to be linked with. Off the top of my head I can't think of anybody else who I'd feel happy with. Of course, that's not to say there isn't one (I don't know who's available) but if it's not Johnson I would be absolutely convinced that it'd be somebody like, I dunno, Chris Hargreaves, who has never acheived anything as a manager. Johnson has.

Of course, if suddenly Osborne pulls a rabbit out of the hat, I could change my mind, but despite this abject season, if GJ was still in charge come august I'd be quite confident that we'd make a decent fist of it next season.

Tell me this - if not Johnson, who? Every time this topic comes out people are asked who is out there who they genuinely think is a better manager than Johnson, and every time, there's no response.
Johnson also inherited a lot of Owers’ players who turned out to be good.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

Osborne must have known that he wouldn’t profit from running the club alone. He’s a developer, not a football person. He is not running to club to make a profit from gate receipts or because of his love of football. So where does he get his £5m back?
HockeyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by HockeyGull »

All the talk, including that from Mr Osborne, is of National League South.
But what if the unthinkable happens and we win, Gateshead win and the goal difference is turned around?
It probably requires Wrexham to spend the entire week on the old hit and miss, coupled with the dodgiest of dodgy curries on Friday night to pick off the stragglers.....and Maidenhead to get stuck in traffic and turn up at Gateshead without their boots.....
Every straw is there to be clutched at😂
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Never in doubt, it was obvious that we would remain full time next season. I think that it's time that the likes of Southampton Gull and SNW get behind uncle Clarke and support the club on it's way back to the national league next season.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

HockeyGull wrote: 24 Apr 2023, 19:17 All the talk, including that from Mr Osborne, is of National League South.
But what if the unthinkable happens and we win, Gateshead win and the goal difference is turned around?
It probably requires Wrexham to spend the entire week on the old hit and miss, coupled with the dodgiest of dodgy curries on Friday night to pick off the stragglers.....and Maidenhead to get stuck in traffic and turn up at Gateshead without their boots.....
Every straw is there to be clutched at😂
Of course, hope springs eternal - but even the most optimistic among us would say that yet another injury time concession as put it beyond reasonable doubt.

would be totally torquay if we won 6-0, then Maidenhead equalised in the last minute to rescue a draw.