Scunthorpe United v Torquay United, 3pm, Saturday 1st April, 2023

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

Nouble is not a loan, he has signed until end of the season I believe...
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

SWgull wrote: 01 Apr 2023, 20:28 Nouble is not a loan, he has signed until end of the season I believe...
Thank God for that
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

Alas, this is likely to just prolong the agony, but if we had this starting eleven for 5 additional games, I think we would be fine. Thought we deserved it today. Particularly for the first 35 minutes of the second half. Should have scored a couple more. Collins took his goal well. Scunthorpe were dreadful mind. Whatever happens, that will be our last trip to Glandford Park for a while.

I have been impressed with Nouble’s application and contribution. Even half fit and lacking sharpness he has added something that we have lacked along side Jarvis. Strong hold up play, decent touch and brings others into play. Clearly has a bit of know how and a presence.

Dawson has also been a good addition - If he is available for next year, I’d keep him.

This is probably more a reflection of the level we are playing at, but in my 40 years of supporting I am not sure I have seen a loanee player so clearly in such a different class to our and opposition players than Nico Lawrence. I hope he goes on with his development as he has been superb. Maybe Jason Roberts in 98, but we had much better players to play alongside him with the likes of Rodney Jack. Simon Milton maybe in the 80s maybe?
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

Hold my hands up folks, thought Nouble was a loanee.As for loan signings from the past, I rate Dean Sturridge from years gone by.
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

Totally agree. If we had started the season with this squad we would have been comfortably mid table at least. The likes of Lawrence, Dawson and Nouble and to a certain extent Stobbs and Collins have improved us considerably.

Unfortunately though it is the “loan” players in the main, with all the players mentioned above and the likes of Evans, that are making the difference.

The “only” players that are out “own” players that have really made an impact are those that have been here a while …. Halstead, Moxey, Hall and Lapslie. But credit where credit is due, both Jarvis and Donnellan have, at least, made a positive impact.

Most of those that have been recruited over the last couple of summers, have quite simply been proved to have not been good enough at this level. Some may turn things around, but ultimately there are a lot of players who have yet to prove themselves ….. Lovett; Crowe, Martin, Omar, Marshall, Mensah, Tomlinson, Wyatt; Hanson, McGavin …. all of whom look short of the the quality needed at this level in my opinion.

That’s TEN players there, that are drawing a wage (quite a decent one in some cases I imagine) that have really not delivered value for money. Ultimately that has been a serious cause for concern for all us fans - the recruitment has been so poor in the main and something needs to change!
Last edited by CP Gull on 01 Apr 2023, 21:18, edited 4 times in total.
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 01 Apr 2023, 20:44 Hold my hands up folks, thought Nouble was a loanee.As for loan signings from the past, I rate Dean Sturridge from years gone by.
Good shout with Sturridge. Wonder if we could get a full eleven of historic loan stars?
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Enzo wrote: 01 Apr 2023, 20:59 Good shout with Sturridge. Wonder if we could get a full eleven of historic loan stars?
Wasn’t Danny Racchi on loan? He was influential
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

Admiral wrote: 01 Apr 2023, 21:11 Wasn’t Danny Racchi on loan? He was influential
Not sure if he was on loan? If so, decent option alongside Randell in midfield?
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

Enzo wrote: 01 Apr 2023, 20:35 Alas, this is likely to just prolong the agony, but if we had this starting eleven for 5 additional games, I think we would be fine. Thought we deserved it today. Particularly for the first 35 minutes of the second half. Should have scored a couple more. Collins took his goal well. Scunthorpe were dreadful mind. Whatever happens, that will be our last trip to Glandford Park for a while.

I have been impressed with Nouble’s application and contribution. Even half fit and lacking sharpness he has added something that we have lacked along side Jarvis. Strong hold up play, decent touch and brings others into play. Clearly has a bit of know how and a presence.

Dawson has also been a good addition - If he is available for next year, I’d keep him.

This is probably more a reflection of the level we are playing at, but in my 40 years of supporting I am not sure I have seen a loanee player so clearly in such a different class to our and opposition players than Nico Lawrence. I hope he goes on with his development as he has been superb. Maybe Jason Roberts in 98, but we had much better players to play alongside him with the likes of Rodney Jack. Simon Milton maybe in the 80s maybe?
Steve Bould
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Adam Smith and Liam Rosenior
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

OK, team is taking shape. Can’t recall if Liam Rosenior could play left back, but for the purposes of this rather pointless exercise he can. This leaves us with a defence of

Rosenior Lawrence Bould Smith

Midfield

Randell - Simon Milton - Racci

Up front

Roberts - Sturridge

Need a goalie and an outfield player. Probably cheating, but I vaguely recall John Turner and Mark Loram were with us on loan before re-signing. Alternatively, play Keith Curle and push Rosenior forward. I think Curle was a winger when he played for us in the 80s though, unless I have completely made that up.

Apologies for hijacking the match thread!
Cruisinho
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Cruisinho »

Michael Poke in goal? Just for his save against Histon!
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

CP Gull wrote: 01 Apr 2023, 20:55 The “only” players that are out “own” players that have really made an impact are those that have been here a while …. Halstead, Moxey, Hall and Lapslie. But credit where credit is due, both Jarvis and Donnellan have, at least, made a positive impact.
Not sure what you're saying here. You say only 4 players have made an impact and then mention 2 others. In any case. Jarvis has been really good for us. If we'd had this starting XI from the start, he'd have been on 20 goals, surely.
CP Gull wrote: 01 Apr 2023, 20:55 a lot of players who have yet to prove themselves ….. Lovett; Crowe, Martin, Omar, Marshall, Mensah, Tomlinson, Wyatt; Hanson, McGavin …. all of whom look short of the the quality needed at this level in my opinion.
Lovett is a reserve keeper I expect to not stick around next year. Non starting GKs at this level don't tend to have long shelf lives.

Martin has been injured most of the season, but I really felt he'd have a good year after his resurgence in the back end of last season.

Marshall; liability, abys Johnson seems to have lost faith in him.
Omar; I dunno, think he's an ok squad player and probably not expensive.

Wyatt; odd, he's done in this division before (played a lot for Sutton in their promotion season) but has been massively unconvincing

Mensah; yeah, dunno what the point of him is.

Tomlinson's been on loan, but clubs needs to decide whether to give the young guys a chance or cut them loose (see also Moyse and Koszela)

Crowe isn't a defender. Think he'd be ok RW but not sure if he's injured

McGavin and Hanson both hugely disappointing but I believe they'll be on contracts next season and assuming we do go down could be ok.

Would like us to keep Dawson whatever division we're in.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

They’re up

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Colorado
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Peter Coffill

Post by Colorado »

Sorry. Not buying in. This team is woeful. The management is abysmal. The only thing that happened today was that Scunthorpe are absolutely terrible. End of story.