Gary Johnson, stick or twist?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Do you support GJ?

Poll ended at 17 Jan 2023, 14:06

Yes - keep him
52%
No - get rid
48%

Total votes: 69

Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Bristol_Gull wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 21:39 Do you think GJ will stay if we are relegated? If it’s looking increasingly unlikely that we’ll avoid the drop and the manager leaves / will not be retained then why not cut the losses now and give someone else a shot?

Because, depending on how long GJ's current contract is, there is a good chance he will retire at the end of the season no matter what and if you sack him before that, the club would have to pay off his already large contract.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Bristol_Gull wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 21:39 Do you think GJ will stay if we are relegated? If it’s looking increasingly unlikely that we’ll avoid the drop and the manager leaves / will not be retained then why not cut the losses now and give someone else a shot?
Most wish this Bristol but Johnson has lost the plot long ago, he is far too stubborn to walk away. The owner does not give a shit about the club.
We are stuck with him sadly. Things will turn toxic as the games run out, thats for sure
Colorado
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Peter Coffill

Post by Colorado »

No point to firing him. The team is just bad. Pep Guardiola couldn’t save us.
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

I agree. Regardless of what you think of Gary Johnson it really doesn’t matter now. This team is clearly not good enough to keep us up and I cannot see a scenario where GJ can continue next season in that scenario. The owners/directors clearly don’t WANT to sack him and to be honest it’s too late now anyway. I understand that GJ doesn’t want to retire on a relegation- it’s a sad end to his management career (which has had many more highs than lows) but it’s “not all about him” and much as it sacking him would be a sad way to end his career …. the bigger picture is the future of TUFC. As for GJ, I sincerely doubt that he will even want to manage again - he’s had his day, but it would be selfish on his part to see this season out on the basis that he can go out on a “high” of keeping us up (unlikely). The time has come to appoint a Manager with a view to next season - someone who can hopefully see us bounce back from NLS. It would be daft to expect anyone to come in at this late stage and save us from relegation from the NL …. because quite simply the squad is nowhere near good enough and in reality both the Johnson brothers and Downes know that too. If they don’t, then they just need to look at videos of the last half a dozen games or so and look at the quite frankly pathetic number of goals we have conceded from free headers in the box! Embarrassing from a Sunday League side …. let alone a National League one!

Time for a change - but it’s too late to realistically expect anyone to turn thins around. Our only hope is too bounce back quickly next season- but that is going to be a big,big ask!
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

CP Gull wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 22:01 I agree. Regardless of what you think of Gary Johnson it really doesn’t matter now. This team is clearly not good enough to keep us up and I cannot see a scenario where GJ can continue next season in that scenario. The owners/directors clearly don’t WANT to sack him and to be honest it’s too late now anyway. I understand that GJ doesn’t want to retire on a relegation- it’s a sad end to his management career (which has had many more highs than lows) but it’s “not all about him” and much as it sacking him would be a sad way to end his career …. the bigger picture is the future of TUFC. As for GJ, I sincerely doubt that he will even want to manage again - he’s had his day, but it would be selfish on his part to see this season out on the basis that he can go out on a “high” of keeping us up (unlikely). The time has come to appoint a Manager with a view to next season - someone who can hopefully see us bounce back from NLS. It would be daft to expect anyone to come in at this late stage and save us from relegation from the NL …. because quite simply the squad is nowhere near good enough and in reality both the Johnson brothers and Downes know that too. If they don’t, then they just need to look at videos of the last half a dozen games or so and look at the quite frankly pathetic number of goals we have conceded from free headers in the box! Embarrassing from a Sunday League side …. let alone a National League one!

Time for a change - but it’s too late to realistically expect anyone to turn thins around. Our only hope is too bounce back quickly next season- but that is going to be a big,big ask!
:goodpost:
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

thebigp1 wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 07:13 It’s been obvious since the first few games of the season that something isn’t right and something needs to change. After the Wrexham game I thought it was time for GJ to go. The general consensus was that we needed to pick up 4 points from the next 2 home games and we’ve come away with 1 against 2 very poor sides.

Every manager has their time. I fully accept a new manager may not be able to change things around but how can the GJ backers keep the faith. I don’t care what he did 2-3 seasons ago. What has been seen in the first 12 games that gives you any belief we can turn it round? The performances are awful and we are going down. How long do we wait? Look at our odds last night, betting markets are very efficient and they have all picked up on how poor a side we are. The casual fans have given up, look at our attendances, they’re embarrassing.
Interesting to go back to when this thread was started around September/October time. My thoughts then. Many of us could see what was coming but we were moaned at for not being proper fans.