Dorking v Torquay Tuesday 21st February

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

The sending off definitely killed the game for us, but why we kept pumping the ball forward without any second ball outlet on that astro pitch is beyond me. We played some really good football along the ground on Saturday, so why we reverted to hoofing the ball with no hope was so frustrating to watch. That way of playing keeps our best player on the pitch (Lapslie) totally out of the game.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

I thought after the weekend results things could be changing. We had a chance to really give the fans something to cheer about and fill us with optimism!
Coming into this game I thought if were to win we would be sure to stay up
A draw still all to play to for.
But we could not afford to lose. I said to my daughter we lose let's prepare for NLS
After tonight I now have zero confidence we are going to do enough to stay up. As I said earlier Dorking run prior to this game was 6 losses in row or something like that. This was a game we could not lose!
I for one am not going to waste my energy believing in some sort of miracle that we will stay in this league. I hereby declare that I now fully except our fate!!!
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Colorado Gull wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 23:50 The sending off definitely killed the game for us, but why we kept pumping the ball forward without any second ball outlet on that astro pitch is beyond me. We played some really good football along the ground on Saturday, so why we reverted to hoofing the ball with no hope was so frustrating to watch. That way of playing keeps our best player on the pitch (Lapslie) totally out of the game.
Sadly Hoofball is the GJ way… but on a plastic pitch?
Clueless.
How many times did McGavin give the ball away ? 🤬
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

A very disappointing evening, how can we play so differently 72 hours apart with the same line up, the first fifteen minutes we looked nervous and tired, they had as much to lose as we did but seemed to play a lot more freely. from the opening we were open down the wings and nothing was done to change that, De silva is good going forward but cannot defend to save his life, Mcgavin,as good as he was on saturday he was yet again poor last night, he never seems to wake up for the first half hour of any match, Halstead needs to work in training on keeping out headers, thats four or five in the last three games. As for the Evans sending off,was the ref conned , possibly, but his first yellow was total petulance by a young,nieve and inexperienced player who took revenge against the player who fouled him a few minutes earlier and I think he cost us the game plus his suspension leaves us without our only natural playmaker.
Is it the end of the world, no, I would like to think we would stamp out the inconsistency but thats why we are third from bottom.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

A tough one to take that last night.
You really have to ask though …. How the hell can Gary Johnson not get them up for a 6 pointer ?
How many 6 pointers have we lost this season ?
When does sick note Hall return ?
Where is Crole ?
Answers on a postcard
cockneycockers
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by cockneycockers »

Cheddargull wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 21:58 Agree that the red card was the game changer, but why replace Fadahunsi with the hapless Ben Wyatt?
Fadahunsi was obviously sacrificed after the sending off as we were 2-1 up, nothing wrong with that tactically. Just two woeful copy cat headed goals without a challenge on the delivery or the header. Three out of four defenders to blame for both. Mox did not have the legs to deal with their right wing play and after you Claude challenges by Marshall and Donellan. Simples.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

Sadly it is perfectly clear for all to see that half of this current squad are simply not up to it. We all know who they are and in truth so do the players.
Far too many just earning a living, half of them are not up for a fight let alone a relegation battle.
After witnessing last night, we were outplayed, outwitted and outfought by a bunch of part-timers. Shameful
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Definite booking and therefore sending off, Evans deliberately steps on his foot/ankle you see this all the time in football now and I hate it.
How Johnson can defend that is beyond me.
Pathetic defending for the goals Briggs just skipped through Evans and Moxey without a challenge while McGavin jogs back and watches.
Moxey for the second and the lethargic McGavin for the third just let the player cross while Marshall and Donnellan leave it to each other. Either Downes is a crap teacher or the players just don't learn.
Seems two games a week at left back is too much for Moxey, very poor last night.
We need Hall back for McGavin Saturday Even Hanson when he came on just jogging back. Put Wyatt left midfield at least he has some energy . Dorking played much better football, passing, energy , pace , movement, if they had a defence they'd probably stay up.
As DevonBee said shameful and embarrassing
Write off the Wrexham game and we probably need to win half our remaining games, it's not going to happen !
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

We seem to win/perform when expectations are low but lose the important must win 6 pointers. The players aren't going to get any fitter or better and what's going to change in terms of coaching. If we do or dont think GJ's substitutions or formations are or aren't working thats not going to change either. We're getting to the stage where every game will be a cup final and this group haven't responded well to pressure. Off the top of my head I'm sure a previous manager used Chris Fleet to work with them on the mental side of the game and this would seem pretty sensible to me tbh.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Well after the high of Saturday the doom and gloom returns!

I wasnt able to watch last night so cant comment on the red but we've had Adrian Quelch ref enough times to know what he's like!

Thought we saw the best of McGavin on Saturday so a shame he's been picked up for his performance last night

Tope had another 2 goal involvements which is proving his worth but yet again the bench lacked an attacking option - We need Collins back for Saturday

Home form is going to need to be our saviour - if we can beat playoff chasing barnet theres no reason we cant beat Southend and Bromley
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Interestingly they don't show the sending off incident on the Torquay highlights but they do on the Dorking website with a replay.
I'm still really angry about that performance last night just not acceptable and certain players (who probably know they won't be here next season) lack of professionalism and commitment,
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by Midlandgull »

The sending-off is a killer blow, but also have to say a few players looked off the pace. But thought Tope, Jarvis, Laps, Lawrence in particular looked very good. Desperately need some players back to fitness I think with the Sat-Tues games coming thick and fast.
oldpedant
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by oldpedant »

DevonBee wrote: 22 Feb 2023, 08:36
How many 6 pointers have we lost this season ?
Against our nearest rivals (in the current bottom 9 with us) it is:
Played 12 Won 1 Drawn 5 Lost 6
So out of 36 points available, we've managed 8!

The only corner being turned is into another dead end. If this is the best we can do against the other relegation fodder, we deserve to go down.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

desperado wrote: 22 Feb 2023, 10:36 Definite booking and therefore sending off, Evans deliberately steps on his foot/ankle you see this all the time in football now and I hate it.
Sorry, that is nonsense. Evans did nothing wrong, except perhaps to leave his leg trailing. The Dorking player made a huge meal of it, was up and about very quickly as soon as he got what he wanted, a yellow for Evans. The ref was easily conned, he was an idiot. THAT is what I hate to see in football now, we saw it later on when the Dorking keeper pretended to be poleaxed.

I don’t disagree with the rest of your comment, the Gulls are their own worst enemy.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

gullintwoplaces wrote: 22 Feb 2023, 13:40 Sorry, that is nonsense. Evans did nothing wrong, except perhaps to leave his leg trailing. The Dorking player made a huge meal of it, was up and about very quickly as soon as he got what he wanted, a yellow for Evans. The ref was easily conned, he was an idiot. THAT is what I hate to see in football now, we saw it later on when the Dorking keeper pretended to be poleaxed.

I don’t disagree with the rest of your comment, the Gulls are their own worst enemy.
have you seen the replay?

its a yellow card, Evans wants to steal the ball by putting his foot next to it but it lands on the ankle of the Dorking player, you see his ankle bend towards the floor