Will we stay up?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Cheddargull wrote: 19 Feb 2023, 14:15 Think the battle will be between us, Gateshead and York.
Maidstone are pretty much gone anf I think they will be joined by Dorking and Scunthorpe.
I'd include the Shots & Yeovil in that too.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

standupsitdown wrote: 19 Feb 2023, 12:55 Ten points from six games in 2023.
Keep that rate up and we'll easily avoid relegation.
We have the best league form in the last 5 games from 10th place down too.....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 19 Feb 2023, 18:21 We have the best league form in the last 5 games from 10th place down too.....
Considering who we've played, that is astonishing.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Looking at the league table again, if teams continue to gain points at the rate they have so far this season the safety mark would be 48.

That would mean we need 19 points from 14 games – a return that is currently 12th in the table form.

5 wins and 4 draws, or 6 wins and a draw.

After today’s game most people may so no but after last week it was quite a reasonable possibility.

The most likely games to pick up wins are –

Aldershot
Wealdstone
Gateshead
Dagenham
Scunthorpe
Eastleigh
Maidenhead
York
Altringham

Can we win at least 5 out of that 9 and pick another 4 draws?
And that would be a minimum. 50 points is still more likely to be the requirement I think and that would be six wins.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

It's not over, esp with still a fair chunk of games to go, but it's becoming more difficult, I thought Aldershot were safe, but they've played more games than anyone, and now lost 4 on the spin, we play them soon, perhaps we can gain more ground on them, if we lose Vs Bromley/Aldershot it's definitely "Goodnight Vienna", as other teams or the safety points gap to 5th from bottom will get to big, Yesterday was piss poor, surely we can't get any worse against Bromley?, GJ has signed so many duds this season, whereabouts did he get Mensah from?, Nothing personally against him, but players of that calibre have zero business in the NL.,not only him, but Marshall, McGavin,Hanson,Wyatt and more aren't of the required standard.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

7 wins from 14 games. Possible but unlikely.

At the very best we may need to beat Wrexham at home to stay up!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

standupsitdown are you joking?

Dagenham beat Notts County yesterday!

Altrincham are on fire 3 wins in a row.

Eastleigh in the play off spots.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

portugull wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 15:06 standupsitdown are you joking?

Dagenham beat Notts County yesterday!

Altrincham are on fire 3 wins in a row.

Eastleigh in the play off spots.
I said they were the most likely games to win, not that we'll win them.
We beat Barnet who are above Eastleigh & Dagenham.
Hopefully Altringham will have nothing to play for by the time we go there.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

It's not over, Yeovil look in a bad place, Dorking, Gateshead, even York, ourselves, it's going to be a huge task, but it's not like climbing Everest (yet), need Hall, Lapslie, Martin, Moxey all starting, don't play hit and hope, think about it, and focus, GJ needs to play the right players in the right areas, and to have some structure to things.
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

I apologise for labouring the point.

However, in my humble, layman's opinion this season was doomed from the moment Johnson spouted an absolute load of tosh about 'marquee signings'. Either he was trying to con the fans or had been fed a load of nonsense by his brother who couldn't recruit a Catholic priest in the Vatican!!

The majority of permanent or loan signings must be the most abysmal set of players that Torquay United has ever recruited.

My son, a Truro City supporter, thinks that should Torquay be relegated they would return to the National League at the first attempt.

I am afraid that I am much more pessimistic. My view is that should they suffer relegation they will spend a long time in the NLS or, even worse, if the owner calls it quits it could be the end of Torquay United.

Sorry for the depressing post, but the events of this season have made it difficult to envisage a positive future.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

I agree with Mr Tea. The players he's mentioned, plus Jarvis and Topi will give us a good chance, but the wins/losses will depend on the other players as each game is in the balance. If they don't perform, then we will go down, if they do, then we'll be fine.

Toss of a coin at the moment.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

toastkid wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 09:51 I agree with Mr Tea. The players he's mentioned, plus Jarvis and Topi will give us a good chance, but the wins/losses will depend on the other players as each game is in the balance. If they don't perform, then we will go down, if they do, then we'll be fine.

Toss of a coin at the moment.
It's also about employing the right tactics with the players in their natural positions that is down to GJ and I'm not hopeful he is going to come good on that, using wing-backs was shown not to work with this team of players earlier in the season yet he still tried it again on Saturday.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

I'd also rather not have wing backs. 4-3-3 would be my choice, but I think GJ is trying to protect a left back position and it's not working. Play Martin and Donnellan at full backs, Moxey and Lawrence as centre halves and go from there. I maintain if we push Topi and DenSilva right on, their full backs won't get forward and we'll have a man over in the middle of the park.
Stoneybroke
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoneybroke »

Agree with Toastkid, fullbacks centrebacks and wingers all there natural positions.
Why was it a 'cunning plan' to play Mensah at left back and move Donellen when he's played really well in that position for several games.
Also putting DeSilva on the left hand side of defence when he is an out and out right winger ffs.
Hopefully tonight may see the reappearance of Hall and Martin !! Probably playing in goal and centre forward respectively. COYY
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

I believe wing backs only really work when you have 3 very good CB's otherwise the team becomes to open, defensive fragilities become apparent, and this is no dig at our players, we haven't really got 3 quality CB's on the books...It isn't really rocket science..All season long the issue for me has been midfield, we seem to want to bypass it, which usually ends up with the opposition working our tactics out very early, and the plan not working..Like I've said previously, 6 or 7 of our best players are standard NL players, we need to play them all in their positions, and the others need to step up and prove they are good enough, no more lumping it and going long, get on the ball more in midfield, and try and create chances, rather than just hope with aimless crosses.