Three Strikers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Stickingitin
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stickingitin »

toastkid wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 21:31 All this "Tony Lee" nonsense.
Maybe he doesn't want to sign.
Maybe he won't fit in.
Maybe he wants too much money.
Maybe his club want too much money.
Maybe one day people will stop rattling on and on, and just enjoy their footy a bit more.
Where is it "nonsense".
He who makes the claim carries the 'obligation' to provide the material evidence of said claim.
Which cannot be done.
Maybe it's too much sense for some to comprehend that they can have a say about the club in their heart.
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

'Toastkid' may have a point though. There are many on the forum who do seem to revel in wallowing in despair. I support his sentiments about the football.
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

toastkid wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 21:31 All this "Tony Lee" nonsense.
Maybe he doesn't want to sign.
Maybe he won't fit in.
Maybe he wants too much money.
Maybe his club want too much money.
Maybe one day people will stop rattling on and on, and just enjoy their footy a bit more.
Enjoy their footy?? This season? You having a laugh right??! :~D
Stickingitin
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stickingitin »

Yellow6 wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 17:02 'Toastkid' may have a point though. There are many on the forum who do seem to revel in wallowing in despair. I support his sentiments about the football.
A point on "Maybe's" is a path that will lead you searching for all the answers in the wrong directions.
Dis-pair is just what is needed as when one Forward/Striker is injured or ineligable, and, there are only two to choose from there is no dispair and hence the lack of goals.
Should one wish to "rattle on" and not be a martyrdom on this open forum then your sentiments are the opposite of mine.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

All the talk of Tony Lee earlier in the season reminded me of Eifion Williams. Williams had 68 goals in 60 League of Wales games when he came to us. For Torquay he scored 24 goals in 107 league goals and scored at a similar rate for Hartlepool when he left. Now one goal roughly every four games is certainly better than our current lot but it is well short of his more than a goal a game in Wales.
So even if we did sign Lee there is no guarantee it would work out. On paper Corie Andrews looked like a good signing.
Stickingitin
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stickingitin »

Cheddargull wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 18:15 All the talk of Tony Lee earlier in the season reminded me of Eifion Williams. Williams had 68 goals in 60 League of Wales games when he came to us. For Torquay he scored 24 goals in 107 league goals and scored at a similar rate for Hartlepool when he left. Now one goal roughly every four games is certainly better than our current lot but it is well short of his more than a goal a game in Wales.
So even if we did sign Lee there is no guarantee it would work out. On paper Corie Andrews looked like a good signing.
Eifion Williams added an instant spark to the change from the 90's to the noughties which is part of the reason the club started to flourish, Leroy took over from great names Roy McFarland, Colin Lee and the brilliant Wes Saunders.
Eifion's record from much lower leagues was profound and he carried that forward with TUAFC and Hartlepool into the higher league than we find ourselves now.
There is no doubt that the manager that we now have has the repertoire to be as successful as the above mentioned, and has been, yet finding an Eifion Williams seems to be out of his task as he deems they need to be the right people, Gary's way. Hmm.
Corie Andrews unfortunately had nowhere near the goal scoring attributes of Eifion, yet Tony Lee is the closest to Eifion that we can try within the repertoire of this club as they have already done!
Tony Lee is pretty much the same age as Eifion when he came to us, the managers that managed Eifion were pretty tough in everyone's book. Perhaps GJ needs a hard man in the backroom.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Stickingitin wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 19:11 Eifion Williams added an instant spark to the change from the 90's to the noughties which is part of the reason the club started to flourish, Leroy took over from great names Roy McFarland, Colin Lee and the brilliant Wes Saunders.
Eifion's record from much lower leagues was profound and he carried that forward with TUAFC and Hartlepool into the higher league than we find ourselves now.
Tony Lee is pretty much the same age as Eifion when he came to us, the managers that managed Eifion were pretty tough in everyone's book. Perhaps GJ needs a hard man in the backroom.
Williams was absolute pish you melon, I can still remember when he came back for Hartlepool against us and we gleefully chanted "Willo, Willo" as he fluffed chance after chance, just as he had for us. You just got told the stats and yet you try and say going to 25% of your record is "carrying it forward"?

He scored a hat trick on his debut, great, it was all downhill from there. Shocking player, no coincidence our actual success came when we got rid!
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

Stickingitin wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 19:11 Leroy took over from great names Roy McFarland, Colin Lee and the brilliant Wes Saunders.
??????
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

He must mean as a player, which he was after a shaky start.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Signing a player such as Lee would be a big risk but given we have already signed a number of big risks (Hanson, Marshall,Crowe, MaGavin, Wyatt etc.) would one more make any difference?
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Wolborough I am surprised you include Wyatt in your list.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

portugull wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 16:38 Wolborough I am surprised you include Wyatt in your list.
Perhaps he means Reg? Now there was a player.
Stickingitin
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stickingitin »

Whoop whoop 'three strikers' here we go.
Stickingitin
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stickingitin »

I've upped the anti...
I've said before we only need one more goal and 3 Strikers.
We now have a full squad and therefore the anti needs to be changed.
We only need one more goal and we need one less against.
Fine margins which are achievable as Notts Co are proving.
Games with one more goal and one less goal for TUFC...
1-0 Oldham 3pts
2-0 Halifax 3 pts
1-0 Bromley 3 pts
1-0 Boreham W 3 pts
1-0 Maidstone 3 pts
2-2 Woking 1 pt
3-0 Southend 3 pts
2-3 Solihull M 0 pts
2-0 Wealdstone 3 pts
1-5 Wrexham 0 pts
2-0 Scunthorpe 3 pts
3-2 Maidenhead 3 pts
1-0 York 3 pts
5-3 Altrincham 3 pts
1-0 Eastleigh 3 pts
1-3 Notts Co 0 pts
7-0 Aldershot 3 pts
4-2 Dorking 3 pts
2-4 Chesterfield 0 pts
1-0 Barnet 3 pts
2-0 Gateshead 3 pts
2-0 Dagenham 3 pts
3-2 Oldham 3 pts
2-0 Yeovil 3 pts
1-1 Yeovil 1 pt
2-0 Halifax 3 pts
PLD-26 W-20 D-2 L-4 GF-55 GA-27 PTS-62
Joint top on pts.
Obviously this is with a full squad a better defence and better goal scorers, but this just goes to show there are only two areas we need to be better at, +1 goal and -1 against.
I will add, although we now have 3 Strikers/Forwards I don't see where the coaching of said three is coming from!
Stickingitin
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stickingitin »

Stickingitin wrote: 19 Jan 2023, 17:14 I've upped the anti...
I've said before we only need one more goal and 3 Strikers.
We now have a full squad and therefore the anti needs to be changed.
We only need one more goal and we need one less against.
Fine margins which are achievable as Notts Co are proving.
Games with one more goal and one less goal for TUFC...
1-0 Oldham 3pts
2-0 Halifax 3 pts
1-0 Bromley 3 pts
1-0 Boreham W 3 pts
1-0 Maidstone 3 pts
2-2 Woking 1 pt
3-0 Southend 3 pts
2-3 Solihull M 0 pts
2-0 Wealdstone 3 pts
1-5 Wrexham 0 pts
2-0 Scunthorpe 3 pts
3-2 Maidenhead 3 pts
1-0 York 3 pts
5-3 Altrincham 3 pts
1-0 Eastleigh 3 pts
1-3 Notts Co 0 pts
7-0 Aldershot 3 pts
4-2 Dorking 3 pts
2-4 Chesterfield 0 pts
1-0 Barnet 3 pts
2-0 Gateshead 3 pts
2-0 Dagenham 3 pts
3-2 Oldham 3 pts
2-0 Yeovil 3 pts
1-1 Yeovil 1 pt
2-0 Halifax 3 pts
PLD-26 W-20 D-2 L-4 GF-55 GA-27 PTS-62
Joint top on pts.
Obviously this is with a full squad a better defence and better goal scorers, but this just goes to show there are only two areas we need to be better at, +1 goal and -1 against.
I will add, although we now have 3 Strikers/Forwards I don't see where the coaching of said three is coming from!
PS.
How many of you who have been at the matches think these scores were nearly there or should have been?