Gary Johnson, stick or twist?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Do you support GJ?

Poll ended at 17 Jan 2023, 14:06

Yes - keep him
52%
No - get rid
48%

Total votes: 69

Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

Louis wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 13:11 ps this site is still the most visited unofficial TUFC site and I'd argue how many of those votes were duplicated by same user?
Good point.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

United62 wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 14:35 I've voted to keep him too.... let's face it, we're all p!ssed off with how this season has gone so far but even if GJ was to go who the hell would want to take on what seems to be an impossible task of keeping us in this league?

Someone on here (can't be arsed to search for it) even suggested Downes! wtf...

It's not a great time to be a Torquay fan (those times are as rare as hens teeth) but we've just gotta hope and pray (even us aethiests) that we have enough points at the end of the season so that our local derby next season isn't Taunton Town/Weymouth et al

Yep, I guess there'll be replies along the lines of 'we haven't got a hope in hell', 'you're talking sh!te' etc etc.... but, hey ho, it's a forum.... for opinions. Just sayin'
Downes yes that is laughable 🙄
I would rather as was suggested a Hall and Moxey
Appointment until the end of the season.
However as much as I want change, I feel he will see
It out and go at the end of the season .
I am still of the belief with 3 in and 3 out we can still
get out of this disaster. Next signings however he cannot
Bugger up.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

DevonBee wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 15:25 Downes yes that is laughable 🙄
I would rather as was suggested a Hall and Moxey
Appointment until the end of the season.
However as much as I want change, I feel he will see
It out and go at the end of the season .
Bugger up.
Hall and Moxey? Sounds like a great name for an estate agency or Mrs Dawlish says a police detective series on TV !!!!!!!!!
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

dawlishmatt wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 15:51 Hall and Moxey? Sounds like a great name for an estate agency or Mrs Dawlish says a police detective series on TV !!!!!!!!!
Very funny as long as it does not end up on the Comedy Channel :lol:
Chrisjb66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Chrisjb66 »

When someone brings up Clarke O selling Plainmoor, I would refer them to Culmstockgulls comments. He is spot on.
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

Playing devil's advocate the one question I would ask is:

'Would any other club with Torquay's abysmal record and level of performance post Christmas have retained faith in its management team'?

I would respectfully suggest that the answer is 'no'.

The recruitment during the past two close seasons has been embarassingly poor with a whole host of signings who would barely make the grade in Sunday League football.

Unfortunately, the club looks destined for National League South or worse and, in my opinion, it's time for the Johnsons and Downes to be handed their P45s.

Other contributors ask who could do better. I would ask who could do any worse at this stage of the season?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

DevonBee wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 15:25

Bugger up.
This is why I've always kept faith in Gary Johnson. When he knows exactly where we are at the point it comes time to the final roll the dice who better than him to get it right and avoid being relegated. Calling for him to be sacked in November is just plain stupidity against the backdrop of the ownership of the club. It must be obvious to anyone that our budget wasn't great, he got what we paid for, what he was allowed to within the budget. He doesn't deserve the treatment usually dished out by followers of the Premiersh!te.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Southampton Gull wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 20:43 This is why I've always kept faith in Gary Johnson. When he knows exactly where we are at the point it comes time to the final roll the dice who better than him to get it right and avoid being relegated. Calling for him to be sacked in November is just plain stupidity against the backdrop of the ownership of the club. It must be obvious to anyone that our budget wasn't great, he got what we paid for, what he was allowed to within the budget. He doesn't deserve the treatment usually dished out by followers of the Premiersh!te.
Oh come on SG, this is the national league for goodness sake. Surely Johnson had a bigger budget than the likes of Gateshead, Scunthorpe, Aldershot etc. Many clubs in our league are in serious financial crisis, Torquay united are not. What's it going to take you and other Johnson supporters to realise he's leading the club towards relegation ? Perhaps when we're 10 points from safety with 3 games to go will change your opinion
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

He's lost all credibility for me, he's signed a load of new players, surely that was his chance, and look at the calibre of what he's got in, add that to loanees who are extremely hit and miss, for me, it needs fresh ideas,a different voice, tactics, anything other than GJ at the helm, his CV is top drawer, and he's earned his retirement, you cannot question that, but this past couple of seasons he's outstayed his welcome, this is HIS team, this is on him, no passing the buck, he should own this situation, rather than bang on about the same old cobblers, week in ,week out, how the heck do Solihull, Borehamwood, Bromley, Woking, Eastleigh etc ALL look miles ahead of us, on probably smaller budgets? , I'll put this down to GJ getting on a bit now, but he's morphing into Joe Biden, making zero sense.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

To say Torquay are not in serious financial crisis might be right, but we have been bank rolled by the owner for several seasons.

To think he does not impose restrictions on GJs player budget is nonsense.

GJ doesn't become a bad manager in 2 seasons. So we stick by him.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

toastkid wrote: 04 Jan 2023, 06:10 To say Torquay are not in serious financial crisis might be right, but we have been bank rolled by the owner for several seasons.

Looking at his history with clubs, yes he does. Jesus, the bar is low at this club!
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

toastkid wrote: 04 Jan 2023, 06:10 To say Torquay are not in serious financial crisis might be right, but we have been bank rolled by the owner for several seasons.

So if he doesn’t become a bad manager in two seasons what has he got that makes him a good manager? And don’t say his CV because that counts for nothing in the current situation. The league table and results this season say it all.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

We’re very close to needing 1.5 ppg. The games are disappearing and we’re not even close to winning 1 game, let alone 3 on the spin.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

It seems the votes backing the manager are increasing.........
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

Southampton Gull wrote: 04 Jan 2023, 11:15 It seems the votes backing the manager are increasing.........
Yes seems so , however a pretty poor number of votes.
Just read Ellis returned to Barrow not good at all