Chippenham town cup game 20/12/22

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Whilst short notice I think the change of date was well publicised.
I received an email from the club although at that stage I hadn't bought a ticket - the postponement meant that I could attend.
Those who bought tickets and couldn't make the new date could get refunds. Not something that all Premier League clubs offer.
I counted 15 Chippenham fans so assume that the attendance announced was based on those through the turnstiles and not tickets sold.
I thought it was an entertaining game. Very poor start but we fought back, should have scored more but could also have conceded and the game gone to penalties.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

desperado wrote: 22 Dec 2022, 16:29 Serial moaners DevonBee and Culmstock
really giving it some lately - Jesus, give it a rest ! Why do you follow - notice I don't say support - the club if it makes you like that. We're all disappointed with this season but let's believe things will get better.
We are all entitled to an opinion...I say what I see no matter if people like it or not.

I will not write oh yes we are 0-2 down to a bunch of part timers.......I am disappointed !!!!
If that is the point u want to make then that is fine.

I follow because I am a season ticket holder, who also watches away games I can attend....unlike so many on here who watch from afar and don't attend any matches.......they know who they are, as do I.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

I can't believe we are discussing attendances and who has the right to say what. My view is the club is dying, we need to open our eyes and pray for investment and a true five year plan.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Nick Potkins wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 09:50 I can't believe we are discussing attendances and who has the right to say what. My view is the club is dying, we need to open our eyes and pray for investment and a true five year plan.
Well said Nick, totally agree with you.

It's never been an easy ride supporting Torquay but in 51 years of support I am being realistic and saying that this is the worst I have known it.

It's not just that the team is crap, ONE league win at xmas !! It's the Goebbels like sycophancy of the "media " team and "the Gaffer" pretending how rosy everything is !

The club being totally uncaring and taking what support there is left for granted.

The farce of getting hold of a ticket, I mean for f sake how many are put off by that ! If they cant cope with cash then have bloody card readers at the turnstiles so if a late decision is made then people can still watch the game.

Obstacles are put in peoples way instead of encouraging lapsed and new supporters to come to Plainmoor.

The complete silence from the top as we meekly slink back to the position we were in before CO and his mate got hold of the club.

Is there a future ? Not a good one certainly... :( :( :(
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

Nick Potkins wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 09:50 I can't believe we are discussing attendances and who has the right to say what. My view is the club is dying, we need to open our eyes and pray for investment and a true five year plan.
Agree entirely and this was always the likely outcome of the current ownership, although have to admit the club would have gone into administration if they hadn't come along.
The successful GJ years from 2018 to 2021 have distracted people from the issue of ownership and what exactly Osborne intends to do with the club.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

I'm really not trying to be clever,but I wouldn't say 2021 was a successful year for GJ at TUFC at all, winning conference south wasn't much of a task really,the one session where we were robbed in the play off final,after that,for me it's been average to poor.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 24 Dec 2022, 10:43 I'm really not trying to be clever,but I wouldn't say 2021 was a successful year for GJ at TUFC at all, winning conference south wasn't much of a task really,the one session where we were robbed in the play off final,after that,for me it's been average to poor.
It wasn't just winning the Conference South, it was winning it, quite easily in the end, after being well down the table (bottom third) when he took over. We were 25-1 to win the league after his first game, the win at Hungerford, and presumably the odds were a bit longer before it.

To almost get automatic promotion, easily beat Notts County in the play off semi, then lose the final on penalties after having had one and maybe two perfectly good goals disallowed, was also some achievement. This isn't an easy league to get out of.

Last year and the season that was cancelled we were mid table.

With the number of ex Football League sides in the National League, some of whom have a lot more money than we do, I don't think we can reasonably expect better than those four seasons.

We can however expect to avoid relegation but my view is that retaining Johnson will give us more chance of this than the lottery of who we may be able to bring in to replace him.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

We were a big fish in a gold fish bowl when we were in NLS and we were always going to walk that league by a country mile,The season we nearly got promoted,you could argue we shot ourselves in the foot,as we had such a big lead at one time,only to be robbed in the play off final,since then it's been mediocre at best,to rank bad,I'm of the view that it's time for GJ to part ways with the club,this season has been one to many for him,he's a great coach,and a CV that's superb,but it's run it course,that's all, nothing personal or spiteful,it's time he retired to a sun lounger and walked away from the game,had a well earned retirement,it needs fresh ideas.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 24 Dec 2022, 18:03 We were a big fish in a gold fish bowl when we were in NLS and we were always going to walk that league by a country mile,The season we nearly got promoted,you could argue we shot ourselves in the foot,as we had such a big lead at one time,only to be robbed in the play off final,since then it's been mediocre at best,to rank bad,I'm of the view that it's time for GJ to part ways with the club,this season has been one to many for him,he's a great coach,and a CV that's superb,but it's run it course,that's all, nothing personal or spiteful,it's time he retired to a sun lounger and walked away from the game,had a well earned retirement,it needs fresh ideas.
:goodpost: We can’t live in the past, he needs to go before the start of next season and I expect he will in the summer.

Anyways, let’s get behind them on Boxing Day. Judging by ticket sales in the bench and family stand we’re in for a big crowd.
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

We weren’t guaranteed to walk the NLS. We were mid table under Owers and could barely muster a shot! Can we stop using it as a stick to beat GJ with?