Oldham Athletic v Torquay United, Sunday 11th December, Live on BT Sport

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

We cannot keep being unlucky though ...........they had firepower coming off the bench...we had Corrie Andrews who couldn't hit a cows arse with a Banjo ' ......I rest my case
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Game highlighted a couple of things

- Crowe - just unfortuantely isnt up to the standard we need
- Combination of Donellan and Evans didnt work in the first half - Evans looked like the only player who could create something, he needs that free role to link up the play. 2nd half was much better and the formation change helped
- Credit to Halstead made some good saves and kept us in it

Where we are going to be able to find some free agents or free transfer players to strengthen us im not sure!
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

more lowlights!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

Much like England I thought we were unlucky to lose after a poor first half performance but a really spirited second half. We were much better with the formation change and Lapslie made the difference in midfield which we started to use productively after the break. The moves that led to both goals were excellent examples of how to play football on a slippery surface - short, quick, incisive passing. Unfortunately we could not make up for our defensive frailties (Crowe is a liability at full back) and a worldie. Credit to Halstead for another fine performance at the back.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Well, I was one of the ?87 there. :clap:
First half we were shocking, but a la York, should have took the lead with the chance - Wearne I think it was difficult to see - in the first minute.
After that well....
Shocking goal to concede, should have been cut out, maybe MH could have got to it - but I for the life of me dont know what the f*ck Crowe was trying to do - never mind attempt to clear it.
That galvenised them and they were - if you were watching on TV - all over us.
It looked worse being there.......
However, with the changes at HT, we were the better side in the 2nd half well worked 1st goal and a nailed on pen for the 2nd and when your lucks out, its out.
A worldy goal for their 2nd and then a shot that hits the post and rolls across the line and ends up in, sums it up.
Difficult to see much from the far end due to the annoying pitchside advertising that was getting on all our nerves! :@
Felt for the players at FT, as in my opinion they desereved a point.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Just watched the Highlights not having seen BT Sport.

I agree with Super that we looked to deserve a point as we played some very good stuff in the second half.

Will Goodwin took his goal beautifully from a great pass by Tom Lapslie. Halstead was excellent.

What I noticed yet again was how we allowed an Oldham player to run 90 yards from his own penalty box without challenge. Result he passed to Tollitt who scored a Premier League goal. My question for Evans is why did you run 80 yards but not get in a tackle? It happens all the time and if our stats man reviews every goal conceded it is a pattern that repeats itself.

What do we gain running beside the opponent if we do not get in a ball winning tackle? We must find a ball winner in midfield not a ball watcher.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

We have been crying out for a ball winning midfielder and someone who can tackle would be a start.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Watching the highlights for Oldhams third goal, their full back much have run a good seventy yards before passing for a very good goal and not one of our team got within a country mile of him, this was not some french wonder kid with rockets on his boots, but a journeyman full back who had played 70 minutes. what were we expecting ,them to give us the ball back. Please GJ explain to the team, its not under tens , its our turn, their turn football.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Bristol_Gull »

DevonBee wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 19:27 We have been crying out for a ball winning midfielder and someone who can tackle would be a start.
Aren’t Hall, Lapslie, Donnellon, McGavin and Hanson ALL supposed to be ball winning midfielders?!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

portugull wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 19:15 Just watched the Highlights not having seen BT Sport.

I agree with Super that we looked to deserve a point as we played some very good stuff in the second half.

Will Goodwin took his goal beautifully from a great pass by Tom Lapslie. Halstead was excellent.

What I noticed yet again was how we allowed an Oldham player to run 90 yards from his own penalty box without challenge. Result he passed to Tollitt who scored a Premier League goal. My question for Evans is why did you run 80 yards but not get in a tackle? It happens all the time and if our stats man reviews every goal conceded it is a pattern that repeats itself.

What do we gain running beside the opponent if we do not get in a ball winning tackle? We must find a ball winner in midfield not a ball watcher.
Yes, knew as soon as he set off, we would concede. Annoyingly from our corner! :@
We dont need a "ball winner" we just need a ruthless, dirty tw*t that will kick the f*cker with the ball and give him a leveller to stop him.
That would of course have gained him a yellow, but we wouldnt have conceded a goal. (Although we may have from the resulting free kick!) =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

We are s… just watched the hi lights and how many times we just ball watch then react, and then it’s to late, We are not getting out of this we are going down. I said it months ago and here we are near Christmas and just after this period we will be down.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Is Danny Racchi available?