Ali Omar

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Ali Omar

Post by portugull »

I am going to make a really crazy suggestion and I expect to be ridiculed.

Ali Omar is big, very strong, quick and desperate to do well.

What do we lack up front? We lack someone who can frighten defenders. Jarvis is selfish has a very poor scoring record and Goodwin has played every game but may well be out injured for Barnet on Saturday. Andrews spends most games on his backside and I suspect is not fit after his operation.

Play Ali Omar as an old fashioned Centre Forward and ensure we pepper the opponents Penalty box with crosses.

Am I completely bonkers???
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

portugull wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 17:04 I am going to make a really crazy suggestion and I expect to be ridiculed.

Ali Omar is big, very strong, quick and desperate to do well.

What do we lack up front? We lack someone who can frighten defenders. Jarvis is selfish has a very poor scoring record and Goodwin has played every game but may well be out injured for Barnet on Saturday. Andrews spends most games on his backside and I suspect is not fit after his operation.

Play Ali Omar as an old fashioned Centre Forward and ensure we pepper the opponents Penalty box with crosses.

Am I completely bonkers???
Honestly, what have we got to lose so I do not think it is a bonkers idea.

He would not be the first centre half to be given a chance as a striker . We are desperate and in the deep deep so why not.

However cannot see the stubborn Johnson changeing his ways.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Portogull, I like the ides of Omar up front as an obvious threat to the physical health of opposite defenders, I agree he is big and strong and desperate to do well but one thing I disagree on his mobility , he is anything but quick.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

have long felt he'd make a decent midfielder, where his lack of positional awareness wouldn't be such a danger. I also think his range of passing is underrated.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Umm...not sure about that Portugull
He's no Clint Boulton ! Ok for the last 20 minutes when we're a goal or two down.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

I agree with happy. We did see Omar play a holding role in a match last season for 20 mins, and he looked competent.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

If we are going to throw it in the mixer with 15 mins to go, then maybe, but definitely not starting him upfront,I'd say why don't we play to his strengths a bit and use his presence as a combative midfielder that shields the defence, esp away from home,keep it simple,get it-give it type,I do believe we've got way to many loanees on the books,I'm guessing Thompson has left the club?,still not sure Jarvis and Goodwin have the tactical know how,skills or experience to score enough to get us out of trouble,Wearne has been disappointing on his return, perhaps he hadn't realised just how bad we are compared to his last spell,I still think we'll stay up,but the next 5 games are gigantic,and they don't look easy at all
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid

Post by Brewers boy »

Why not start him up front. If you're going to hoof it upfield from the kick off lets at least have someone big and strong to win the header.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Ridiculous . Jarvis is our best player. Not sure about Goodwin though.

Mind you I would prefer Omar up front to Andrews who resembles a teletubby when he tries to run
cockneycockers
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by cockneycockers »

Your last three words Brewers boy is where your argument for Ali falls down.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

I'm with you Portugull.

I thought he did ok when he had a short run out at the end of the Tuesday game (can't call it a match because that implies some balance between the opponents). His passing is a strength.

Re Brucie's criticism of Andrews, he seems to me to have lost weight during his lay off.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Well it looks like it is 6-4 in favour of Ali.

I was interested that brucie thinks Jarvis is our best player.
brucie his scoring record in the last 4 years is pants. Apart from one great game v Aldershot when he scored a hat trick his scoring record is terrible.

Twice at Pride Park on Tuesday he could and should have passed to Goodwin and later Hall but instead hit weak shots well off target.

Anyway back to Ali Omar. I doubt very much he will be considered for such a role but if Goodwin is injured then we end up with Jarvis and Andrews who really need to produce the goods.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Investing how a players stock can increase while out of the team!

Ali slotted into left back well in the Derby game, no worse than Crow. However, he is not a striker.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

The fact you say he is quick...... Slowest player on the team!

Plus, have you seen how many goals we have been scoring recently with Jarvis and Goodwin up front? They are both amongst the better players in our team and are in my opinion getting as a combo up front.

I don't rate Andrews either, but I think Ali would be worse.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
SimonJones
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by SimonJones »

Personally, I think we should start building for the future. I’d play him and Tomlinson centre halves. Take a few errors on the chin from both of them, but they’ll gain huge experience and then be ready to go again next season - all the better for it. GJ knows how to spot a good player - it’s just they have to start realising their potential!