Gary Johnson, stick or twist?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Do you support GJ?

Poll ended at 17 Jan 2023, 14:06

Yes - keep him
52%
No - get rid
48%

Total votes: 69

Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

This article started on 25th September, some 50 days ago, what has changed?

The last comment was made on 27th October, like the club have we given up?

Has Gary Monk relocated back to Torquay?
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

I was wondering when this stick or twisy would resurface, and well done NP for restarting it........no need to bury our heads in the sand
the table does not lie. Does anybody think that the powers that be would have the balls to make a change ?
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

DevonBee wrote: 13 Nov 2022, 21:03 I was wondering when this stick or twisy would resurface, and well done NP for restarting it........no need to bury our heads in the sand
the table does not lie. Does anybody think that the powers that be would have the balls to make a change ?
Getting the 'powers that be' to make a club related statement on how they see things would be a great start!

Further we all see and read items like Torquay Talk, but they never challenge or seek club statements.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

This conversation coming round again, why , is it based on getting a drubbing against chesterfield, who expected anything else, we are a million miles away from a top half team, we know that, the club knows that and Johnsons post match on saturday indicates he knows that. Even if the club decides he has to go and I agree he is certainly approaching if not past his sell by date who ever replaces him will have to do an inproved job with the same resources and no budget to speak of, his constant dipping into the loan market shows how amateurish the majority of his summer signings were. Not sure anyone can turn our team into a top half team even with the best will in the world, remember a lot of the new players are supposedly on two year contracts so next season will not be any better. Its hogwash to claim the players are jaded because of 4 games in 12 days, they didnt have to train between games, they could have had three days complete rest and a longer pre-match warm up ,if they are not fit at this stage of the season or know the simplistic one game tactic Johnson uses by now they should not be wearing the shirt.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

We are not in the bottom four as a result of Saturday alone, so it is not based on that. Sadly the fall has been coming for a while, over a year in my view. Two games from last season sums up how far we have dropped, Tonbridge Angels and Havant & Waterlooville. We were quite simply shocking and anyone who says they were cup games is turning a blind eye to our problem.

My question and points were more around attracting the right players, finances and long term plans. Without a statement from the owner we are in the dark, but to me sinking fast.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Nick all of us who have had a long love affair with Torquay United know in our hearts that without Clarke Osborne and Gaming International we would in all likely hood be history.

GI have invested heavily in the Club with a very good pitch, a thriving youth system and but for a disgraceful Referee we would have been back in the EFL in 2020.

Investing in a lower League Football Club is a guaranteed way to lose money and I feel our future is very tenuous unless someone with very serious money comes along which I do not see happening. Sorry to sound so gloomy but it is hard to be optimistic in these difficult times.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

I've just read an article by Brent Pilnick on BBC Sport written a day before the Chesterfield debacle. In said article Gary Johnson states that he " hopes the club's FA Cup run will help fund improvements to his squad". I think that any surplus dosh should be used to pay off Johnson and send him on his way to Portishead where I'm sure his Mrs can find plenty of jobs around the house to keep him occupied.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

A thriving Youth system Portugull?? For a minute i thought you were referring to TUFC
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Made I laugh!!
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

The survival of any club in the lower leagues is totally dependant on someone or several someone's with very deep pockets, if we did not have our chairman and were lucky enough to survive more than likely we would be run as a community owned club, we have no assets to borrow against and therefore you can only spend what we receive in gate or the rare cup receipts, not one penny more, where would that place us, realistically the southern league premier. As for the youth set up, at the moment I would sack it completely, it costs a lot of money and more to the point has it produced a first team player in the last five years.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Someone can correct me but i dont think TUFC pay a penny towards the youth set up. Its a S.Devon College set up. It was my understanding that TUFC did take on 2 players every season. Looks good for the club however in reality as you mention how many actually get given a chance. Those 2 players get loaned out never to be seen. It happens every year.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Bristol_Gull »

I think it’s time the club put Downes on a performance improvement plan with a view to dismissal if their is no turnaround in the teams defensive record.

Whilst the buck ultimately stops with Gary, there has to be some accountability across the management team.

We desperately need to build on the hope that has been offered over the past couple of weeks
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

last night showed a gulf in class, there was no lack of effort at all but the quality was all on show.

Hall simply doesn't have the legs anymore you could tell that when he was running. Unsure why Goodwin gets so much praise i believe there is much better out there that we could get on loan, he lacks pace, finish and positioning.

very much worry about our whole midfield!! there seems to be little quality or pace even at our level, Jarvis needs someone with him as he works very hard and can win the ball in the air.

Corrie andrews needs to be released and we get someone else, he is unable to kick a ball first and foremost.

cant knock the effort last night but we really need to recruit ASAP otherwise we will struggle, cant see a result coming saturday.

gateshead is huge
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

York City part company today with manager John Askey
after he took them up last season.
They are winless in 6 games and currently 12th
In the NL. Interesting
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Bristol_Gull »

DevonBee wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 14:12 York City part company today with manager John Askey
after he took them up last season.
They are winless in 6 games and currently 12th
In the NL. Interesting
This illustrates the standards that some of the bigger clubs in this division hold.