A New Club Record? A strange statistic.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

A New Club Record? A strange statistic.

Post by portugull »

Torquay United have scored 12 Goals at in the last 3 Home League Matches while rock bottom of the National League.

4 October Lost 2-3 to last minute goal v Maidenhead

22 October Drew 4-4 v Altrincham on TV thanks to last minute goal from Dylan Crowe.

1 Nov Won 6-1 v Aldershot.

I wonder if this has ever happened before in our long history? Perhaps the guys at Torquay Fan Stats know the answer.

Maybe Dave Thomas at Torbay Weekly or Richard Hughes at Devon Live know?

Even Notts County 1st and Wrexham 2nd got no were near this amazing number of goals in their last 3 Home Games.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

What question are you asking?
If it is does scoring 12 goals in 3 consecutive home games constitute a record then the answer is no.
Or is the question doing that while bottm of the table?
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Cheddargull wrote: 03 Nov 2022, 14:23 What question are you asking?
If it is does scoring 12 goals in 3 consecutive home games constitute a record then the answer is no.
Or is the question doing that while bottm of the table?
I think he means the latter!

Without looking anything up I was at Plainmoor when Robin Stubbs scored five himself when we beat Newport 8 - 3 so add games around that and see what was what but we were nowhere near the bottom then. Going back a bit further we scored hatfuls at home regularly in the '50s but again we weren't at the bottom.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

You dont even have to go that far back for more than 12 goals in consecutive home games. I remember in 2019 we beat Slough 4-0, Oxford City 7-2 and Dulwich 5-2 in consecutive home games.
TerryTorq
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tommy Northcott

Post by TerryTorq »

I was also at the Newport game in October 1963. According to my records we scored 3 against Southport the game before and 1 against Gillingham the game after so another 12.
However in the 3 games after that we scored 6 against Bradford Park Avenue, 6 against Barnet in the FA Cup (goalkeeper Terry Adlington scored one of the goals after he injured his hand and before the days of substitutes played on the wing) and 5 against Chester.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Cheddargull wrote: 03 Nov 2022, 17:16 You dont even have to go that far back for more than 12 goals in consecutive home games. I remember in 2019 we beat Slough 4-0, Oxford City 7-2 and Dulwich 5-2 in consecutive home games.
Good stats. :clap:
Off the top of my head we scored four away at weymouth and then next up trounced yeovil 6-1 at home on Boxing Day.....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Cheddar Gull sorry but I thought I had made it clear " while rock bottom of the National League"

This is what makes it so rare or even unprecedented.

Like gateman49 I too was at the Newport game when we won 8-3 and Robin scored 5 goals. The most goals by one player in one game I have ever seen.

It is very easy to find 12 or more goals in 3 consecutive Home games but until I am proved wrong I suspect we have never done so when bottom in all 3 games. That is the point.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper

Post by gateman49 »

I've now checked back and in 56-57 we successively ran up a 7 - 0 v Swindon, 7 - 1 v Norwich and 3 - 0 v Crystal Palace. That makes 17 in three matches and we followed that with a 4 - 2 win over Aldershot.

The same season we also beat Millwall 7 - 2 at home so that is three matches in which we ran in seven goals. On the other side of the coin we lost away to Millwall by the same score 2 - 7 and also lost 0 - 6 twice away, at Brighton and Ipswich.

As if we need reminding, those matches were all in the football league and just look at the opposition and where they are now except dear old Aldershot!
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Do you ever get the impression that some people need to get out more?
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper

Post by gateman49 »

North Curry House wrote: 04 Nov 2022, 13:51 Do you ever get the impression that some people need to get out more?
Now in 1929/30.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Touche!