Notts County v Torquay United Sat 29 Oct KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

This forum page was meant to be Notts County v Torquay thread.

It has sadly turned into the Gary Johnson debate, maybe someone responsible for the forum can switch the GJ comments to a Gj thread
or am I asking too much ?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

That report was written by a happy clapper. Watch the highlights - we were flattered by 4-0 it should have been double that. We didnt appear to have a shot on target in the game - pathetic. As for the penalties well theres was an obvious one and ours wasnt so thats ridiculous as well.

Who cares if the fans clap the players and the manager after the game? It means nothing.

Yes we have injuries - problem is that we are so bad that the players who are out wouldnt make any difference if they were fit. We miss Jarvis but we are lacking in strikers anyway. Thats the managers fault noone elses.

As for Marshall - he's clearly a lunatic so we'd be no better off he wasnt suspended in any case. Johnsons been going downhill for 18 months or so.

Whether Ellis is the answer is debatable. His knee surgery has slowed him down an awful lot and he just isnt as effective as he was.

Whats actually interesting about getting outplayed in every game we play?
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Steve Woods said that the scoreline flattered Notts. That's good enough for me.

Back Gary, back the team!
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

After viewing the highlights its the same old story, far too much space given to the opposition.....this has happened in every game.
It is the basics, the lack of discipline .The midfield gifting space and putting pressure on the defence game after game, causing goals leaked
game after game. You would have hoped these basics would have been solved on the training ground by now, so you have to ask what the hell is going
on during the week ?
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Chelston TUFC wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 06:17 I dont think the point now is about anyone doing better with the budget, its about anyone doing better with the players. I would bring in Kevin Bond who has recently left Bristol Rovers as an additional coach to bring fresh ideas and a new voice. These players need a lot of coaching to improve them and I dont think that Gary Johnson and Aaron Downes appear to be making much progress.
I'm sure you've said this before???
Are you his agent????
And finally, are you going to pay his wages??? Because CO won't.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 20:20 I'm sure you've said this before???
Are you his agent????
And finally, are you going to pay his wages??? Because CO won't.
Personal view, it makes sense in advance of changing the manager if that were to be a consideration. Its cheaper than paying off Johnson and Downes. Lets say you pay £30k for 3 months of an additional, experienced coach. If that gives you an extra 10% out of each player it could be the difference between and staying up and going down. It sees out Gary Johnson to end of season and at that point he doesnt need paying off or he goes again for another season and goes again with lessons learned and better recruitment for next season. Its cheaper to bring in an additional coach than to keep throwing money at loan signings (with a 50% success rate). Why Kevin Bond? Its hardly the most exciting opportunity but I hope there would be a sentimental link that might be a draw to Torquay for Kevin Bond. I think it gives a different option to keeping or sacking Gary Johnson and a cheaper alternative.

I maybe in the minority of people who think that the current performance is making Gary Johnson's position untenable but at the same time think we're unlikely to atrract better. Its a poor season so far and if luck comes into it at all every bit of poor luck is running against Gary Johnson.

If you were in charge what would you do SNW?
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

Chelston TUFC wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 21:17 Personal view, it makes sense in advance of changing the manager if that were to be a consideration. Its cheaper than paying off Johnson and Downes. Lets say you pay £30k for 3 months of an additional, experienced coach. If that gives you an extra 10% out of each player it could be the difference between and staying up and going down. It sees out Gary Johnson to end of season and at that point he doesnt need paying off or he goes again for another season and goes again with lessons learned and better recruitment for next season. Its cheaper to bring in an additional coach than to keep throwing money at loan signings (with a 50% success rate). Why Kevin Bond? Its hardly the most exciting opportunity but I hope there would be a sentimental link that might be a draw to Torquay for Kevin Bond. I think it gives a different option to keeping or sacking Gary Johnson and a cheaper alternative.

I maybe in the minority of people who think that the current performance is making Gary Johnson's position untenable but at the same time think we're unlikely to atrract better. Its a poor season so far and if luck comes into it at all every bit of poor luck is running against Gary Johnson.

If you were in charge what would you do SNW?
Walk away and get another Job :~D
The Eternal Optimist
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by The Eternal Optimist »

Getting back to Saturday's game which is what this particular topic is supposed to be, 0-4 is obviously not a good score against, but many Torquay fans predicted a higher score than that for this match. Note that Notts County, in eighty eight minutes of open play, only scored once. It wasn't until our two experienced defenders were substituted did they score the last two. Also note that all of their three goals from open play were long shots, from roughly the edge of the penalty area. Shame we don't shoot more often when in good positions.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

brucie wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 18:43

Can you tell me why you think that Aldershot is a winnable game? We are a pile of shit who cant even name a striker on the bench. Half our team is either injured or suspended. Aldershot are on the up and had an excellent win at Dorking today to follow up their victory at Yeovil. They have got a couple of excellent loanees including Frank Vincent from Notts County.
Oh I don't know, perhaps the fact they're as crap as we are and Notts are top of the League ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

southampton gull, I wonder of Brucie is regretting his comments about the aldershot game now.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

culmstockgull wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 09:22 southampton gull, I wonder of Brucie is regretting his comments about the aldershot game now.
I had a feeling it might work out that way 😉
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com