Torquay Utd v Aldershot Town - Tue 01/11/22 7.45pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

What a magnificent victory.
The highlights, of which there were plenty, showed a team that was, by the end, oozing confidence and clearly started showing they were up for a fight.

One of the most important parts, to me, was when we were 1-0 up, had a few chances to go 2 up but didn’t and then managing to prevent them from scoring whilst they were pressuring us. One Halstead save in particular was excellent, not in terms of the save itself, but just because of the stage of the game.

Lapslie’s goal was lovely, great to see a forward getting a hat trick, brilliant to see our defence standing firm and our new loan signings making a big difference.

Long way to go, but that first step is always an important one.

As for the comment about “uncle Clarke” having to pick up the tab for four players…that’s what you have to do when you are an owner!
It’s good to see he is clearly backing the manager (unlike plenty who wanted him gone 😉)

Anyway, that conversation is for another time, and another thread.
Today is all about revelling in a well deserved victory.

Up the bloody magnificent Torquay United!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

dawlishmatt wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 10:16 Sorry to disappoint teddibear and SNW but I ain't going anywhere. Looking at the league table, oh I see we are bottom after 17 matches with just one home win and three all season. Last night's result was fantastic and nobody is more pleased than me. To actually win a match it has taken the signing of four new players within a week. This proves that the squad that Gary Johnson assembled pre-season is the worst in the league, hence being bottom of said league.
It's only thanks to Uncle Clarke that he has allowed Johnson to sign not one or two players, but four players which he has to pick up the tab for.
You know that for definite then?
Has he given you a bell or dropped you a line to keep you in the loop?
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

Loppie loop more like
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

"uncle Clarke's baby" so he had to spend some more money so what his advisors must have told him it's a bottomless pit owning a football team
Charley the Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courtney Richards

Post by Charley the Gull »

What a difference last night! I heard a Shot supporter afterwards saying they were stunned at being slaughtered. Loved the setup with Hall in front of the back four then Da Silva and Wearne out wide running rings around their backs. Quick moves with balls being played to feet or in front of a runner then sharpness in front of goal. Great crosses into the box. This might get Derby thinking more seriously about Sunday. Fingers crossed no more injuries and we can carry on with this format as the whole team were buzzing last night. COYY
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 11:29 You know that for definite then?
Has he given you a bell or dropped you a line to keep you in the loop?
May I suggest that you read the Football Association rules on clubs that sign players on loans?
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

Hahaha
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

dawlishmatt wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 15:46 May I suggest that you read the Football Association rules on clubs that sign players on loans?
I asked you if you actually knew if he was paying for all of the wages?
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

What a performance last night. Looked a completely different team.I don't know where that came from but every player was outstanding. Ellis just what we need at centre back , we must do all we can to keep him. Great return by Wearne.
The second goal by Lapslie a thing of beauty , 10 passes I think. It wasn't that Aldershot were poor, they weren't, but we were very, very good.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 16:41 I asked you if you actually knew if he was paying for all of the wages?
Oh dear oh dear oh dear. Nowhere in my comments did I say that Uncle Clarke has to pay 100% of the wages of any loan players. Please SNW point out to me where you posted if " you actually knew if he was paying for all of the wages ". Mrs Dawlish reckons it must be something in the Yorkshire water supply. After all Er indoors was born and spent the first 20 years of her life living in Scarborough. When she has a " Blonde moment" ( no disrespect to Blonde people) she often puts it down to her childhood and the funny tasting water. She must be right, she married me !!!!!!
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

So the pick up the tab for 4 players really means 50%???
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

Great win last evening,very surprised as I thought we'd lose,so fair play,6-1 is emphatic,never saw it coming, don't think any fan did!,I'm not trying to be negative,but all the loan players gets me, they aren't and probably never will be our players,I still believe it papers over the cracks,and Johnson's recruitment in the summer was piss poor,it's needed the players from last season to really dig him out of a hole,add to that a few decent loan signings,what's going to happen when they leave I'm not so sure?,maybe Ellis will return on a permanent basis?,Omar will be released soon I reckon,Halstead is a solid keeper and just needed a confidence boost,think Marshall,Donnellan,McGavin,Hanson,Andrews ALL need shipping out,I'd worry a bit playing Ellis,Moxey,Hall, Lapslie all the time as they need protecting from age/Injury's,but all of them are solid, quality pros esp at this level,Goodwin and Jarvis are a working progress for me,I may get pelters for this,but not entirely sure about either of them to net 20 a season for me,it's a lot more positive after last night,but still a heck of a lot of work to do,but the spine of the team looked a lot better,and formation was right
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I think that Jarvis looks a fit for purpose centre forward.

The issue with Jarvis/Goodwin is that we are likely to see more from them with the likes of Da Silva/Wearne on the flanks. Its a fair point about all the loanees but at the moment the crucial thing is picking up points now as we must get into the pack and not become adrift.

There are some big games coming up (I dont mean the Derby game) so its vital we continue Tuesday nights performance against the likes of Dorking and Gateshead. For the first time this season I would say that these games are winnable.

I agree that our defence isnt the greatest but being able to score goals gives us a better chance in games obviously. Crowe impressed me in the Altrincham game. Maybe he isnt that good defensively but he looked excellent going forward - With Da Silva being deployed on the right the two of them could be a potent combination offensively.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

brucie wrote: 03 Nov 2022, 09:29 I think that Jarvis looks a fit for purpose centre forward.

The issue with Jarvis/Goodwin is that we are likely to see more from them with the likes of Da Silva/Wearne on the flanks. Its a fair point about all the loanees but at the moment the crucial thing is picking up points now as we must get into the pack and not become adrift.

There are some big games coming up (I dont mean the Derby game) so its vital we continue Tuesday nights performance against the likes of Dorking and Gateshead. For the first time this season I would say that these games are winnable.

I agree that our defence isnt the greatest but being able to score goals gives us a better chance in games obviously. Crowe impressed me in the Altrincham game. Maybe he isnt that good defensively but he looked excellent going forward - With Da Silva being deployed on the right the two of them could be a potent combination offensively.
Agree with the point on Crowe, he was asked to do too much as a RWB as was often caught out, I think he’d develop well in a 4-4-2.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

It does take much for us Torquay fans to see the rosy side of life, postings are far more positive, we see a team that can win and probably lose in equal measure which like any good supporter we will take. We now have a good but not outstanding eleven if tuesday was anything to go by, although the bench is still very weak, will they stay fit,can we hang onto them, will Johnson continue to tinker trying to turn full backs in wing backs and vice versa. Halstead will not be asked to try his luck at no 10 next week and goodwin would not be asked to play left back so why the obsession with this particular position, I think Crowe would be a far better full back if he was left alone and only had that responsibility.
There are a number of loans and even contract players that we bulk acquired during the summer than can and should be released if they would go, they will never will be pro footballers ,even at this level. I know he said at the tail end of last season that the board agreed with him that we need a bigger squad, I am sure the acquisition process on that basis handled by one elderly part scout and his dog overwhelemed the ability of the club to determine other than by watching a few videos whether these players were any good. Facts speak for themselves, they were not. So for me lets go back to a smaller squad of better pros, certainly for this season at least.