Eastleigh v Torquay Utd 25/10/22

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Let’s hope Keating is signing on a permanent basis. We can’t afford many more loanees with the amount we have in the squad!
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Let’s start by saying we showed real fight tonight and I left the ground knowing like the fans the players gave it their all. Having said that, it was men v boys. Sadly, this team of youngsters will struggle, we don’t have the quality or strength to compete.

Only conceding one goal was about right, Eastleigh were poor and had nothing. Like the Bank Holiday home game from last season, they know how to dive, stop play and hold on. However, we were never going to score, did their keeper make a save!

The referee was very poor, but what do you expect, that is the standard we have dropped too. He did not affect the result, let’s not try and believe otherwise. Booking a player in the first 10 seconds was always leading towards a red card later in the game (more on this later).

The highlight from the referee was when a spectator shouted to him “watch the foul on the keeper this time”, as the corner before Halstead had been rugby tackled into the net without punishment and play played on. To this the referee turned to the fans and the guy shouting and made a silly smile back, making a few around me laugh. The corner was played in and without a player being within 6 yards of the keeper a foul was given, very funny!

Being booked within 10 seconds of the game starting appeared harsh, the player rolling around as if he’d been shot and the players crowding the referee did not help matters. To repeat this within 10 seconds of conceding the goal was just stupid. The player discipline is poor, but when up against things it is always tough. I will leave you to watch the highlights and decide for yourself.

The away support tonight was fantastic and the 259 who made the trip on a Tuesday night should be applauded. Sadly, we are watching our beloved club sink. Without clear new investment, a five-year sustainable plan, and a rethink of top to toe the National League South will be our home. At the final whistle it was great to see Gary and the boys acknowledged the support, there did however appear to be quite a heated exchange between Gary and a fan or two. I can understand their frustration, but I was not close enough to comment further on this.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Can't fault the effort last night and with 11
men may have got a point at least.
Referee again poor , got conned for the sending off, didn't see anything much in that, no deliberate arm , the player went down like he'd been poleaxed in the first few seconds to get Jarvis booked and did it again for the second booking, both times rolling over on the ground 4 times,
as did the player for the penalty making it look far worse. Absolutely pathetic.
Was impressed with De Silva , looked quick and sharp and got his crosses in.
Thought Smith was doing ok unless he took a knock but when replaced Lapslie was playing wide left which seemed odd to me.
We won't get out of this mess though without signing at least 3 half decent proven at this level players.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

desparado I completely agree with you. I looked at the highlights this morning and both cards were highly dubious.

Gamesmanship and refs keep buying it. Spoiling the beautiful game.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

It was so obvious ! The right back knew he'd got him booked at the start and thought he'd have him again. He was also involved in some play acting 'shenanigans' as Gary would say, right in front of us in the second half.