Torquay v Altrincham Sat 22/10/22 5.20pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
CourtierGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by CourtierGull »

Well what a game that was! I think the first half was as bad as we’ve been all season and at half time we really should of been 4-0 down, but for most of the second half we were on the front foot and it wasn’t until we got into the lead did we go back to our old ways of conceding the softest goals.
On contrary to some other posts on here, there were definitely a lot of positives to take from that game, but the same issues are still plain to see. Glad to see the back of the 352 and hopefully it doesn’t come back, we played a 451 but because of evans and de silva(our only wingers both absent) we had a central midfielder and a striker on either wing, at times we had nothing down the left side as Goodwin kept drifting inside, serious lack of pace in the side and Alty didn’t really need to try very hard to create good chances.
Think Crowe deserved that goal, and hopefully this can be a turning point for him personally. He definitely looked a lot more comfortable in a back 4 and at times shown some quality on the ball. Mcgavin has clearly got some ability, but again without pace and players out wide, he’s got very few options when he does get the ball. Jarvis is another positive, holds the ball up and links up very well.
25-30 minutes we looked a very good side, but we still managed to concede 2 on the back end of that. We need wyatt/Martin to be back ASAP, we need mox in the centre of the back 4, and we desperately need some pace on the wings. Why oh why did we not sign Ashley Nathaniel George at the start of the season I don’t know, he wouldn’t be our saviour but he’d offer a damn sight lot more than Goodwin/Donnellan can on the wings.
A last minute equaliser in a game like that feels like a win, but it’s still only 1 point. I really hope this could be the turn of our season cause there is a good group of players there but we need to a lot better for 90 minutes.
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

Admiral wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 08:29 Anyone know how long Wyatt and Martin are out for? We could do with going to a back 4 with Moxey in the centre, partnered by either Omar or Tomlinson. Why not give him a go? Not convinced by Okoli but he’s only 18/19. We could do with a Gary Warren type player who’s sitting on the bench at a L2 club.
I spoke to Dan Martin yesterday. He says he has done his LCL (lateral collateral ligaments) in his ankle and out for 3-4 months after surgery.
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 21:58 To be reliant on Asa Hall,Moxey and Lapslie says it all for me,all the others are sub standard,not up to it at all, possibly Lovett between the sticks. .1st half sounded dire,they should if netted 4, brilliant come back to take the lead through the senior players,but piss poor,rank bad defending is being punished,week in-week out,4-4 papers over it, commentator on radio Devon said "we stole a point" which sums it up.I seriously believe that we have purposely geared it up for NLS next season, nothing will convince me otherwise,lack of subs,poor signings,injury prone signings,and technically and tactically inept.Hall and Moxey can't keep getting us out of jail,I've just seen the Derby cup ticket prices have been ramped up,Osborne has got some front I'll give him that.Overall it's a point,but let's not kid ourselves,this is heading only one way
Is that what you heard? I don't suppose you saw it in person to make your own decision instead of relying on the second-hand opinions of others.
sevilla99
New Signing
New Signing

Post by sevilla99 »

culmstockgull wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 21:18 Did I just see a football match, was this inept performance put on to show the greater UK population via BT what we in Devon have known all season, we were and are dire. in a first half when they could easily have had five and without any particular effort on their part, Colclough was running the show and no one wanted to go near him, our back four were worse than poor, we had a striker playing left wing, a central midfielder playing right wing, what could go possibly go wrong.
We come out second half with a bit of passion and start playing football , what did we have to lose, even after Hall single handed put us in with a chance every time they came forward you wouldnt have bet against them to score.
Goodness knows how much the FA are going to fine us because of the stupid amount of yellow and reds we have collected because by a country mile we are top of the league , and thats the only time I will saying that this season.
I think I need to crack a bottle of wine before I have the stomach to listen to Johnsons take on this one. Anyone who thinks we have turned the corner, we have improved, we are on the up,we didnt lose, you were not at the game.
Instead of constantly criticising the team and the manager every week [and I presume that you are doing so from the comfort of your armchair rather than actually going through the turnstyle and providing the club with much needed income] wouldn't it be more helpful to get fully behind the club as a supporter ?

Gary is working extemely hard with very limited financial resources to build a team good enough to get the club back into the Football League where it belongs without question. He and his backroom staff are working incredibly long hours coaching and scouting to achieve this objective.Of course the season to date has been disappointing but there are still a large number of games left to improve the situation.

I always find Gary's end of match interviews of performances at Plainmoor a pretty honest assessment of what I have seen whilst at the match and have no reason to suspect his after the match away game interviews are similarly other than realistic summaries of the team's performances.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

sevilla99 wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 15:46 Instead of constantly criticising the team and the manager every week [and I presume that you are doing so from the comfort of your armchair rather than actually going through the turnstyle and providing the club with much needed income] wouldn't it be more helpful to get fully behind the club as a supporter ?

Gary is working extemely hard with very limited financial resources to build a team good enough to get the club back into the Football League where it belongs without question. He and his backroom staff are working incredibly long hours coaching and scouting to achieve this objective.Of course the season to date has been disappointing but there are still a large number of games left to improve the situation.

I always find Gary's end of match interviews of performances at Plainmoor a pretty honest assessment of what I have seen whilst at the match and have no reason to suspect his after the match away game interviews are similarly other than realistic summaries of the team's performances.
IF they are working incredibly long hours coaching then they arent making a very good job of it when it comes to defending dead ball situations. This might explain the injuries and why our players dont look as fresh as opposing players during games (insufficient rest).
If this is the case then I'd bring in Kevin Bond who has just left Bristol Rovers to get some fresh eyes, fresh ideas and a fresh voice on the squad. If Gary is working extremely hard and incredibly long hours then its just not working and its the definition of madness to continue doing this and to expect a different result. When it comes to the scouting the track record since Gary joined us has been probably a 50% success rate.....for every good one there's a bad on.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Highlights

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

How is Johnson working "incredibly long hours" when he only turns up once or twice a week?

How is his brother "working hard scouting" when he's sat in the dugout at every fecking away game. Arnt't most matches played on a Saturday or midweek evening. - shouldnt he be scouting for players which is allegedly what he is paid to do.

I always Garys after match interviews a feed of shite to be honest. He says the same thing after every game - we will learn from this, will learn from that, and the next game we are worse than ever. Wouldnt be so bad if the fawning pricks who interview him asked him a decent question instead of giving him an easy ride.

As for Saturdays game - credit the players for trying hard, but we are basically so poor that it appears we may not win a home game all season.

Looks like we will be all but relegated by Christmas the way things are going.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Brucie an accurate and succinct observation, but be careful the rose tinted amongst us will have you on the moaner table and describe you as not being a genuine supporter, other than turn up every week to watch what passes for football I am not sure what else we can do, perhaps I have got it wrong, the answer lies in saying what a wonderful squad we have packed with pace, enthusiam and class, cannot remember when a player last missed a match through injury, and Johnson is a god in footballing terms and that brother of his what wonderful acquisitions he has unearthed, how does he do it. See, makes all the difference we will not lose again all season.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

brucie wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 13:37 You cant dispute Marshalls sending off but Taelee is spot on. Their player should have got a card for the challenge on him and it should have been our free kick for the foul. Marshall didnt knee or kick their player in the head and he clearly feigned injury.

As I say Marshall gave the ref a reason to send him off but given the officials got it completely wrong (as well as giving Altrincham most of the decisions all night) We definately deserved a point at the end.
Well he pretty much does - think he just misses contact but as i saw live he swang his knee and leg into the player when he was on the floor

go to 16:54 in the video :} - no real foul on Marshall either

should try watching a game or a trip to specsavers is in order! :whistle: