Torquay United v Hampton & Richmond Sat 15 October KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Just watched the post-match interview, that ‘interviewer’ does my head in.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

THe comments sound pretty universal, and I believe that the equaliser for now saved Johnon's job, As for the dead ball situations ,not the players need to watch how the premier league do it how about Johnsons team actually teaching them how to cross, it is obvious that many of these players have not and do not possess the most basic of skills to be pro footballers.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Admiral wrote: 15 Oct 2022, 19:37 Just watched the post-match interview, that ‘interviewer’ does my head in.
I agree it is totally cringeworthy the way he sucks up to Johnson everytime zzzzz
We need an amateur Geoff Shreeves to ask the questions.....and then hear GJ answers :lol:
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Post match interview.....GJ says a lot but none of it really adds up. "Theyve got to learn from it".....learn what? They need to be told, shown, coached and trained. They dont know what they dont know and thats why they keep making the same mistakes. They're not just going to "learn from it". For the goal "went beyond the call of duty" (or words to that effect)...like do their job! Their job is to pass to each other and stick a ball in the goal. "Ability on the training ground".....some of these players I'm sure have incredible ability on the training ground but can they replicate it in a competitive match where it counts and can they make the right choices on the pitch. The guy asking the questions seriously get a grip man....you're watching the sinking of the Titanic whilst thanking the Captain for the potential of extra ice cubes. Honestly its becoming laughable. If it was a sketch show involving a parody of a football manager called Gary Gaffer I'd give it some flipping credit
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I thought this was a game between two very poor sides. First half was shockingly bad with only three attempts on goal but United were unlucky on two counts to go a goal down. First the handball was harsh given the way the shot was going well wide and second Halstead saved the penalty only to be beaten (just) by the follow-up.

Second half H&R upped their game and predictably hit us on the break. Only then did we start playing with conviction - getting one back almost immediately, having a number of good opportunities before scoring the equaliser, and almost getting a winner. But at the death our defence went to sleep (again) and only a very good save from Halstead and a line clearance from the rebound prevented H&R claiming the win.

For me Donellan was our MOTM - he did well enough when in the back 5 but came to life when he was pushed up into midfield with some thrusting runs and, of course, the second goal.

Others who did well - Halstead for that late save and nearly stopping the penalty, Moxey for his throw-ins, the front two who chased everything with so little service and De Silva for providing width and the delivery for the second goal.

Others who continue to perform poorly - Crowe, poor defensively and awful crosses from wide positions, McGavin, apart from his goal which was top drawer was slow, ponderous and gave the ball away cheaply and Lapslie who seem to repeatedly run up blind alleys. Hall was a little better but not much.

Basically we have too many underperforming or poor players in the squad - we will do well to avoid relegation this season and, on this showing, neither are we going to have a cup run of any note.

By the way, in almost 50 years of supporting TUFC, that was the smallest home crowd I can remember being in - another warning sign.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

can only assume Wigan would not let us play Smith - certainly missed in today in the midfield!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Struggling to find the positives from this game, a game I decided late in the week to attend. As a standalone game it was 4th qualifying round of the F.A cup against a side sat 18th one point behind Taunton in the NLS (as we all know) Just being honest with my opinions Hampton lacked a lot of individual quality that perhaps the Ebbsfleet, Havant and Dartford's of the NLS would have, had on display.

So all that said above, I walked away from Plainmoor yesterday not really having an answer to, how is the team is still in the F.A cup, wish I had one of those TV graphics boards here, other than the two goals Hampton did score, I counted at least 8 occasions where they had received the ball on their attacking side of the centre circle and had players in great attacking positions, yet wasted every opportunity, either a poor first touch from Temi Babalola, or the industrious Marcus Sablier who was wasteful on more than one occasion whilst trying a drag back, miss controlling the ball several times, or a decision from a Hampton player to retain possession when the first time pass would have, had us in all sorts of trouble.

Not wishing to come across as to over critical or personal, however Hamptons keeper showed us in the opening minutes just how suspect he was from crosses and corners, electing punch almost everything, when he could have caught, although he did have one very good take from a corner in the second half, and generally flapping more than few times, but we just failed to get him under enough pressure, there were goals to be had there.

You could hear the voices in the crowd 'shoot' ' someone just take a shot' and so on, not till a minute or so after Hamptons second goal did, we see a TUFC player, take a gamble on a speculative shot, oh look, McGavin scored and now we have something to fight for, thank God he did, because the crowd were turning ugly, and my best feeling is, had we not scored so quickly after their second this game would have got whole lot worse.

I think it's fair to say, had our team been facing a top NLS side, or even an average team from our level, this game may well have over by half time. A performance that for the most part was ponderous, lacked confidence and urgency, it's the F.A cup your 3 games away from the famous 3rd round draw, die for the cause (not literally) once again our players look as if they lacked energy, and look mentally broken.

We seem to have an ownership, so called 'local board' and small percentage of our fanbase with their heads stuck firmly up one orifice or another, we have an EFL infrastructure, the potential to attract an EFL support base, most choosing to stay away right now, TUFC is still relatively big draw at this level, as I said a number of people yesterday, don't buy into this 'who would we bring in' to replace GJ, nonsense, I'm certain there would be no shortage of quality candidates who would want this job.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Chrisjb66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Chrisjb66 »

Meanwhile, Olaf languishes at Dorchester.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Taelee73 »

Incredibly difficult watch. The opposition were very poor, yet they could and should of won the match. There keeper looked suspect on any ball into the box, we just didn't get anything much of quality to test him.
Tuesday night, he must be bombarded and put under pressure.
Our play, we did try to play it around to begin with. Too many misplaced passes and wrong decision making spoiled some good opportunities. As per normal, once this happens we revert to the long ball. I actually thought variation of set pieces was a great idea, but sometimes you just need a shot at goal or delivery into the box. The clever routines haven't worked so far.

I don't buy into comments Johnsons lost the dressing room, I just think some players haven't the quality and some no longer have the legs. That said, this is the FA Cup and our last chance to make money/bring the feel good factor back this season. And it felt more like a reserve match.
Goodwin does seems to need constant motivation otherwise he goes missing. Hall is a mere shadow of himself. Not sure if it's lack of games or his best day's are over. Some of our players just don't look, act or think like professional footballers. Age, inexperience or just not good enough? One of those scored a fantastic goal, but otherwise was terrible. Passing backwards, ponderous, pushed off the ball.
It was a strange game, some supporters actually started laughing at the ineptitude of some of our play/players, if you made a movie about keystone cops as footballers, this would of been it, I just sat in bewildered disbelief.
De Silva, quality. Made some howlers as well but the only player who had the ability to make something happen. A must start on Tuesday. And the penalty, just basics to follow it in and for defending corners, the whole team were caught out on one. Just switched off.

The crowd, well done to those of us who turned up. The atmosphere was of course flat, the noise only ramped up at 0-2, fortunately the quick reply from us stopped it becoming toxic. It had started to be. And had we lost.....
Unfortunately unlike others, I don't think we'll have quality applicants for the job if Gary goes. Who wants to stake their reputation on the team bottom of the league, with no real scope to bring in quality. Either a young inexperienced manager or someone right at the end of their management career. Can't see many having the right energy, experience and dynamic qualities needed.
The draw prolongs the agony, I'm glad we're still in it. But can't see that lasting beyond Tuesday. I'll still turn up on Saturday though, I have to, I'm a Season ticket holder. To be honest, shopping with the family sounds less painful.
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

It is the constantly dysfunctional midfield which condemns us to never imposing ourselves on the opposition, and yet this game was the ideal opportunity to boss the play and to tire a part-time team.
Our two strikers made lots of runs but were largely ignored, and the fact that they made individual runs ensured that they didn't combine together; indeed Goodwin seemed to think that he had to do everything himself and hence overplayed because there was such little support from midfield.
And that lack of control in the middle allowed, as ever, teams to run through us and threaten our goal.
And yet we started brightly for 20 minutes or so, with Wyatt looking lively, and Crowe finding space down the right.....alas his delivery is woeful, although it would help our cause if only someone would gamble at the near post instead of us hitting hopefully long.
It's not rocket science, and yet we still cannot play as a real team, despite all our opponents showing us how to.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

PL21gull wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 11:35 It is the constantly dysfunctional midfield which condemns us to never imposing ourselves on the opposition, and yet this game was the ideal opportunity to boss the play and to tire a part-time team.
Our two strikers made lots of runs but were largely ignored, and the fact that they made individual runs ensured that they didn't combine together; indeed Goodwin seemed to think that he had to do everything himself and hence overplayed because there was such little support from midfield.
And that lack of control in the middle allowed, as ever, teams to run through us and threaten our goal.
And yet we started brightly for 20 minutes or so, with Wyatt looking lively, and Crowe finding space down the right.....alas his delivery is woeful, although it would help our cause if only someone would gamble at the near post instead of us hitting hopefully long.
It's not rocket science, and yet we still cannot play as a real team, despite all our opponents showing us how to.
What do they do in training? Stinks of bad management.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

Just noticed never posted this up...
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest