Gary Johnson, stick or twist?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Do you support GJ?

Poll ended at 17 Jan 2023, 14:06

Yes - keep him
52%
No - get rid
48%

Total votes: 69

thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

dawlishmatt wrote: 09 Oct 2022, 19:07 As i have previously said I believe we are stuck with the Brothers Johnson and the assistant manager until their contracts expire probably in the summer. Uncle Clarke isn't going to spend hundreds of thousands of pounds to sack the trio and pay them off and have to replace them with a new management team. Never forget the Osborne has no interest in Torquay United football club and it's not important to him which league the club are playing in.
Sadly I think this is spot on. Any club with any ambition would have made a change by now. This season has simply not been acceptable. The silence from the club makes it worse. Do those in charge care that we are sleepwalking into relegation again. I fear this time however there may be no way back for us.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

toastkid wrote: 10 Oct 2022, 14:13 Here's an idea, play Moxey in front of a back 4! Any thoughts?
I hear what you are saying and can understand you are trying to plug a hole. Sadly, this is not the only hole and by moving Moxey we weaken the back four further. I would play Moxey at left back, but to do this you need central defenders who are up to standard, sadly they are lacking here. I believe you are looking for a big midfield enforcer. I'll add to my Christmas wish list.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

toastkid wrote: 10 Oct 2022, 14:13 Here's an idea, play Moxey in front of a back 4! Any thoughts?
I assume by this you mean play Moxey as the holding midfielder to provide stability at the back while providing a platform for the forwards to attack. He certainly has the awareness in reading the game but does not now have the speed or stamina to cover the pitch and lock down opponents for the whole ninety minutes of the match. Asa Hall was our outlet but constant injury and lack of pace have taken their toll and now we do not appear to have anyone who is up to this job.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

MellowYellow wrote: 10 Oct 2022, 22:32 I assume by this you mean play Moxey as the holding midfielder to provide stability at the back while providing a platform for the forwards to attack. He certainly has the awareness in reading the game but does not now have the speed or stamina to cover the pitch and lock down opponents for the whole ninety minutes of the match. Asa Hall was our outlet but constant injury and lack of pace have taken their toll and now we do not appear to have anyone who is up to this job.
We have plenty of holding midfielders, just we decide to play 3 of them per match with no attacking outlet, and none of them are any good or fit! Donnellan seems the best option for that role IMO, but it all depends on the shape.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

The reason I mentioned Moxey is cos in games I often notice players drift between our back line, not getting picked up soon enough. If our back line don't get strict enough with our midfield, then we need a disciplined guy to be there. Reading the game should reduce the amount of blue arsed running around. Just a thought. I'm more worried about conceding, rather than scoring. Start with a solid base.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

toastkid wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 16:34 The reason I mentioned Moxey is cos in games I often notice players drift between our back line, not getting picked up soon enough. If our back line don't get strict enough with our midfield, then we need a disciplined guy to be there. Reading the game should reduce the amount of blue arsed running around. Just a thought. I'm more worried about conceding, rather than scoring. Start with a solid base.
It’s a good point, I’m sure he could do a job there. My only concern is with what two midfielders will play a more attacking role
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Not sure, I'll leave that to the gaffer. My idea is a formation for a particular strategy, as an option if things need changing.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Admiral wrote: 10 Oct 2022, 23:24 We have plenty of holding midfielders ... none of them are any good or fit!
I think you give too much credence calling them "holding" midfielders, but at least you identify none of the "plenty" are any good in that position.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Just stick Moxey in as one of the centre backs and get him to coach the other centre back thru the game just as Guy Branston used to do with Mark Ellis. Sounds like the spine of the team needs sorting and Moxey is probably the only decent option in defence.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

MellowYellow wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 21:00 I think you give too much credence calling them "holding" midfielders, but at least you identify none of the "plenty" are any good in that position.
I guess its the only term you can use - none fit the descriptions "creative" or "attacking"!
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

Make Moxey Player Manager with Hall as his non playing Assistant.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

6667GULL wrote: 12 Oct 2022, 09:01 Make Moxey Player Manager with Hall as his non playing Assistant.
Get a grip FFS.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Surely that was a joke
The deluder
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by The deluder »

Deamp will be manager next season in the NLS. Hall will go back to the midlands.
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

The deluder wrote: 12 Oct 2022, 10:35 Deamp will be manager next season in the NLS. Hall will go back to the midlands.
Who? Was that meant to be Deano?