TUFC v Scunthorpe United Sat 1st October KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

We will not win games with Marshall and Omar as our CBs

Marshall makes some cracking blocks but the bloke is hard wired to grab a player or shirt he is a huge liability. Seemingly cant head a ball either

First 20mins was great but we faded and surprise surprise - started hoofing the ball forward to their massive CBs who headed everything back the way it came

that game was there for the taking, i wanted 4pts from this double home header so a win is vital tuesday
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

For the first 10 minutes I thought we looked good, passing the ball crisply and scoring a well worked goal. After this we seemed to slip into mediocrity then pure lacklustre and were very lucky not to lose. No spark and I haven't a clue what the answer is. I still support Johnson but most of the new signings look poor with no real zest. Sorry to say but as I thought After the Oldham game, two poor sides out there today.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

We need a forward option off the bench if Andrews is going to be out for a while

Also - Hall - plays one game - not in the 16 next

I guess Lapslie will be out for a couple of weeks now as he played some football....
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

At least there was some positive support for Johnson in the first 10 mins, didn’t particular want that game to turn toxic but had we gone 0-1 down it may have.. I said I’d take 4 points, but after maidenhead’s result at chesterfield that seems unlikely.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Well the game plan was obviously to start on the front foot and we did and we scored early, now I was worried, we have done this before and we know how those ended, after 20 minutes the magic the players had sprinkled on them in the dressing room wore off. It was as if they lacked any collective belief they could win the game. they needed something that the team does not possess, experience.I will not single out Marshall or Omar, unlike many, they will die for the team, as for good enough, they do not show any signs of improving, Jarvis, it was obvious from his meagre returns of goals scored at previous clubs why he is not setting the world alight with goals, although Andrews is struggling to come to terms with the physicality of this league I prefer him up front with Goodwin.
We are struggling and badly and I do not see a way through this with the players that Johnson has recruited .
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Despite taking an early lead with Dan Martin scoring his first goal for United we just did not have the quality to take a much needed 3 points.

There were positives. Evans who was the Sponsors MOTM showed he has real pace and control when he is more central and Dean Moxey was again great to watch. You need experience in this League and Dean has that at a much higher level.

Tom Lapslie was another positive and he never ever gives up.Will Goodwin is learning all the time but gets a lot of stick from defenders. I wish referees would be quicker to issue yellow cards when defenders cause head injuries to strikers like Will.

Wyatt who came on at HT for Crowe played very well and he does have good experience of this League. Halstead made an incredible save in added time.

The negatives were Jarvis was very disappointing but in fairness to him it may be the system because we have no real width.

Smith despite a brilliant goal line clearance at 1-1 was not influential in mid field. We are miles away at present from being competitive and unless Gary can find 2 very experienced quality players soon I think we are in for a very difficult season.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Another uninspiring performance unfortunately in a must win game which now puts massive pressure on Tuesday.
Scunthorpe as mentioned have won ONCE away in their LAST 37 Away games and from what I saw they deserved to win today.
2 x goaline clearances..a shot that hit the post and a worldie save from Halstead kept them at bay somehow. This is the reality, for anybody who was not at the game today.
We could and should have been buried,
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by thebigp1 »

It was basically two poor sides out there today and i expect both will be knocking about the bottom of the league for the rest of the season. Omar and Marshall are both a mistake waiting to happen. Teams are still able to get through our midfield so easily and open us up.

On the plus side we did actually attempt to get the ball down and pass it and occasionally it worked, just the final ball wasn’t there. Goodwin still looks a good player but has terrible service. Must win on Tuesday night.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 01 Oct 2022, 18:08 We will not win games with Marshall and Omar as our CBs

Marshall makes some cracking blocks but the bloke is hard wired to grab a player or shirt he is a huge liability. Seemingly cant head a ball either

First 20mins was great but we faded and surprise surprise - started hoofing the ball forward to their massive CBs who headed everything back the way it came

that game was there for the taking, i wanted 4pts from this double home header so a win is vital tuesday
A win against Maidenhead on Tuesday is very contentious given they have just beaten Chesterfield away. Oh bollocks
Lucy
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

A more encouraging performance for some of the game, a great start with pressing and playing to feet and more dynamism in midfield provided by Evans and Smith, but then we relapsed into hitting hopeful long balls, and consequently offered little direct threat to a young-looking goalie. Indeed our most threatening chances came from fizzing the ball low into the goal area at the near post, as opposed to the soft chips to the far post. Most goals are scored by feet, so why do we persist in choosing the aerial route?
Alarmingly, we gave far too much space to opponents on the edge of our penalty area and are prone to teams running at us down the middle; we needed numerous desperate blocks by defenders throwing themselves in the way of shots, 2 goalline clearances, and a terrific save. Why wasn't Lapslie stationed in front of the back line as usual as he looked unsure of where to be pushed more forwards?
Jarvis and Goodwin came off their markers but were too distanced from one another to play together, and were too often having to jump for high balls and getting thumped by robust defenders. Scunthorpe's tackling earned them 6 yellow cards so we should have pressed them more on the ground. Trying to play out of defence from short goalkicks along the 6-yard line just did not work, mainly because most of our team was on the halfway line so the centre-backs had no-one to pass to in the massive void in midfield.
So, COYY, concentrate more on the basics of passing and movement, and, especially, keeping the ball then playing it with purpose.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

We didn't get hold of it enough in the middle of the park for my liking. Lapslie worked hard. I didn't think the balls in the final third were good enough. Smith did fine, but he didn't stand out particularly for me, nor did Evans. We should have buried the match when one up, should have lost it in the end. Hey ho. On we go!
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest