Gary Johnson, stick or twist?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Do you support GJ?

Poll ended at 17 Jan 2023, 14:06

Yes - keep him
52%
No - get rid
48%

Total votes: 69

culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

For those that even suggest that as long suffering supporters who turn up week after week regardless of the result that we are not permitted to make a valid and balanced judgement on the manager or the players is plainly ridiculous, In the case of Johnson who is probably getting north of 75K a year because of his supposed experience, what is expected of him, to build and rebuild teams that play football that doesnt see us getting hammered most weeks, as a player they have to turn up, run around for 90 minutes and hopefuly stop, make or score goals.
When none of these things happen on a continual basis and the excuses no longer ring true or plausible to even the most rose tinted supporter then you do not need to be a manager or even have experience of the pro game to know that things are very wrong. We turn up and support the team and thats usually as far as our influence goes, I have never heard of a manager being sacked because of negative social media but I have when you cannot buy a win and the crowds start dropping through the floor, thats basic economics.
Gull1899
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gull1899 »

I think like many it depends on October with some winnable fixtures. If we haven’t shown progress & points by then then I think it’s over for GJ, which is sad as he’s done great things for this club but all good things come to an end, & it looks like recruitment has been awful & tactics clearly aren’t working.

If we go to Conf South again I don’t see us easily getting back like last time , so it’s imperative we stay up- I think the board will give him October to turn it around
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

If things don't improve over the next month and GJ stays in the job, just what does that tell us about the owners intentions for this club?
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

We all see things different ways. There is no doubt that if United fails to get results in October on the back of a summer of signings, then Johnson will be under pressure — and rightly so. But we are not there yet. I also ask myself since when have managers at Torquay been judged from game to game. The season has hardly gone and there is no way the blueprint laid down for success is going to be ripped up on the back of another poor start. All teams are under that pressure to win, and our early loss of form is not something we need to panic about, just yet! Johnson has got a great pedigree at what he's done with Torquay after the Ower's debacle and has built some decent sides - so no CoffeeGate required. We ought just keep the faith with the manager.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Everyone on here should prepare themselves for a period of volatility. The news about Swindon Speedway emphasises how things were always going to pan out. It was always just a question of timings. I'd just encourage everyone to consider what the most important thing is to them. Is it keeping the club alive for the future, in whatever league, or bickering about whether we should be top of the league this year.

Anyone who's been a fan more than a few years will have experienced what 'usual' is for Torquay. Geographically and financially this is 'usual'. The years under GJ have been great fun. Enjoy them as a memory but I'm happy to be a realist and get back to supporting an underdog.

Critics will say that's defeatist and pessimistic. But, you need money to thrive these days, particularly in the extremes of the country. Our funding purely and simply comes from someone whose ultimate agenda, I assume, is to make money. I hope I'm wrong but the news about Swindon Speedway just brings to the fore what our owner's plans really are.

Support the club. Support the TUST. Stick together. Sooner or later I fear we will need a war mentality.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

I’ve just joined the TUST. In the meantime, we got two big games coming up at home so hopefully things won’t turn toxic at a potentially pivotal moment on the pitch. The players need our support if we’re to have any chance of turning things around.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Admiral wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 21:26 I’ve just joined the TUST. In the meantime, we got two big games coming up at home so hopefully things won’t turn toxic at a potentially pivotal moment on the pitch. The players need our support if we’re to have any chance of turning things around.
:goodpost:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Well Osborne is refuting that Swindon Speedway has closed down so I'm not sure what relevance that has to us, unless of course you wish to make it up as some sort of excuse for our pathetic form this season.

Unless you accept think that we have the smallest budget in the league which I doubt for one minute is the case, then we are underachieving. How that is interpreted as "bickering about being top of the league is beyond me.

"
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Totally agree with Mellow. Stick with Gary, stick with the team!
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

I have the utmost respect for the Gaffer and what he has achieved in the game, however the reality tonight is
P12 W2 D3 L7 GD-13 PTS 9 and bottom of the league.
These are his recruits and they are simply not good enough. The system is not working.
The promise of being entertained.....is missing. The attendance tonight reflects that.
The Marquee signings......say no more.
The comment in last saturdays programme notes...it WILL come together- I guarantee it.
This is his team, his recruits and the vast majority are not up to the physicality of this league and that needs to be addressed as time is running out.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

It’s been obvious since the first few games of the season that something isn’t right and something needs to change. After the Wrexham game I thought it was time for GJ to go. The general consensus was that we needed to pick up 4 points from the next 2 home games and we’ve come away with 1 against 2 very poor sides.

Every manager has their time. I fully accept a new manager may not be able to change things around but how can the GJ backers keep the faith. I don’t care what he did 2-3 seasons ago. What has been seen in the first 12 games that gives you any belief we can turn it round? The performances are awful and we are going down. How long do we wait? Look at our odds last night, betting markets are very efficient and they have all picked up on how poor a side we are. The casual fans have given up, look at our attendances, they’re embarrassing.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

I was happy for GJ to be given these two home games, but one point is shocking. 500 less casual fans on the gate last night equates to 5k+, money talks. I think he’ll be sacked today.

Shame, but we need to move forward and I see no optimism that he’ll get us out of this mess.
Chrisjb66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Chrisjb66 »

This seasons players don’t match last seasons squad.
However, the current performances smack of coaching deficiencies. Same old issues every match. Midfield struggles, lack of width. Hang on to your hats!!
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

It's ok calling for a change of manager but who could we realistically bring in that will improve the players we have?
I agree with others that a change of formation is probably required, perhaps GJ is being too stubborn and sticking with his methods.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

1 win, 2 draws and 7 defeats in the last 10. GJ has had since the 3/4th game to change the shape and hasn’t.