Wealdstone Away 17/09/2022

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

standupsitdown wrote: 17 Sep 2022, 17:39 First half we could have been three up but ended up lucky to get the point.

Don’t think we had a shot second half.

Good number of away fans but generally fairly quiet.

Gary Johnson didn’t bother to thank the fans. Has he lost interest?

Seems we’re all lacking passion at the moment.

Gary Johnson clapped the fans at the end. All this lack of passion talk is utter tripe.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

jono_Gull209 wrote: 17 Sep 2022, 18:15
Gary Johnson clapped the fans at the end. All this lack of passion talk is utter tripe.
Sorry I missed that. He didn’t come over though.

Maybe not lack of passion but there doesn’t seem to be the spirit in the club that there was. I suppose huge changeover of players hasn’t helped that.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Does it matter whether or not he clapped the fans.

Sounds like another game where we were second best. Its the same every week.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Listening to Radio Devon it was a re run of the Alamo second half, which seems to be is a continuing theme in many of the previous games, if you had only switched on for that 45 you would wonder who the commentator kept mentioning as Torquay rarely got a mention,what the hell happens at half time ,why can we only semi perform for 45 minutes.
Well thats 9 games out of his 10 settling in honeymoon over and done with, there are no more excuses, if Aldershot continue to lead in the late kick off we are in the bottom four and oh goody an easy one nect week,Wrexham.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Easy romp for Aldershot so now in the bottom four and facing a rampant Wrexham next week...jeez what a mess
WGull25
Trialist
Trialist

Post by WGull25 »

Just got back from that game, now I’m not in Torquay anymore and I try to go as many away games as I can.

This was my first game this season and what I saw I’m afraid to say was a lost group of players. I’d love to see the stats but Wealdstone must have had atleast 80% possession the entire game.

All we did for 90 mins was hit the ball hopelessly long to no one. The front 2 didn’t have the legs and the midfield literally let them run through. Thank god they couldn’t finish.

There is no structure, no attacking “Johnson” style.

Albeit we struggle to attract players and their young etc etc this is not working.

The fact GJ didn’t come over at the end speaks volumes and also a lack of respect to the travelling fans in my opinion.

Fair play to downes who did.

The only players to come back with a good report we’re Ali, Marshall and maybe Hall and the keeper. The others not a clue.

Hanson looked completely lost and out of pace. Rabbit in headlights and anytime we got the ball they panicked and kicked it to no one.

Be good to hear others opinions on this game, I appreciate this is a first report however it isn’t positive and I fear for next week with high scoring Wrexham they won’t miss those opportunities. This is where the curtain could close on the GJ era
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by thebigp1 »

WGull25 wrote: 17 Sep 2022, 18:58 Just got back from that game, now I’m not in Torquay anymore and I try to go as many away games as I can.

This was my first game this season and what I saw I’m afraid to say was a lost group of players. I’d love to see the stats but Wealdstone must have had atleast 80% possession the entire game.

All we did for 90 mins was hit the ball hopelessly long to no one. The front 2 didn’t have the legs and the midfield literally let them run through. Thank god they couldn’t finish.

There is no structure, no attacking “Johnson” style.

Albeit we struggle to attract players and their young etc etc this is not working.

The fact GJ didn’t come over at the end speaks volumes and also a lack of respect to the travelling fans in my opinion.

Fair play to downes who did.

The only players to come back with a good report we’re Ali, Marshall and maybe Hall and the keeper. The others not a clue.

Hanson looked completely lost and out of pace. Rabbit in headlights and anytime we got the ball they panicked and kicked it to no one.

Be good to hear others opinions on this game, I appreciate this is a first report however it isn’t positive and I fear for next week with high scoring Wrexham they won’t miss those opportunities. This is where the curtain could close on the GJ era
You’ve basically summed up every game so far this season.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Dutchgull wrote: 17 Sep 2022, 18:56 Easy romp for Aldershot so now in the bottom four and facing a rampant Wrexham next week...jeez what a mess
Not quite, the magnitude of Aldershot's victory means Halifax drop below us on goal difference.
And Wrexham could only manage a draw with Southend who are just one point ahead of us.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Heres the bet 365 stats for the game:

Stats show 23 v 2

10 v 1 on target

13 v 1 off target

9 v 2 corners
zebgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: alex russell

Post by zebgull »

Good post Wgull25.

Likewise living in Bucks now with a 4 and 5yr old - brave souls both came along with me today - I get to fewer matches. Although we enjoyed our day, it was 2 poor teams battling it out, Wealdstone really deserved to win but just couldn’t finish, god knows what Wrexham would do to us.
We sat back and let them play for 90 mins, not sure whether this was tactical or lack of fitness but they had acres of space. Omar (in particular) and Marshall were committed, some great blocks, but Crowe in was exposed time and time again, We were constantly overrun in CM.
For what they are worth, my impressions were:
Lovett - excellent display all round and one stunning save.
Crowe - really want to see him do well and improve, he has something about him and battled, but his positioning was really poor. No understanding with Wyatt either.
Martin - mixed display but think he’s out best LB option, every time I’ve sen him before I’ve thought he has quality
Omar - best outfield player by far, several vital last ditch tackles, determined and a goal too.
Marshall - a bit no nonsense, but effective and solid
Hanson - awful game, looked lost and far off standard for this league
Hall - rusty, but hope he gets back to form and in the team as we need someone consistent
Wyatt - didn’t get in to the game at all, gave away possession too often
Evans - some good touches and def has ability on the ball but needs to influence the game more
Andrews - ineffective, doesn’t look good enough
Goodwin - decent game, with more service would be the only attacking option who looks capable
Subs - poor

Tactics - poor at best. We invited trouble and they walked through us time and time again, when we did press forward and lost possession our shape was all over the place.

Really hope we can start improving esp with Wrexham next week, but can’t help feeling we need strengthening in all positions (bar keeper and poss centre back).
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Not that I want rain on the oh my god we are so bad brigade! but a point away against high flying Wealdstone who have only lost once this season. Especially after the dismal Tues night It's a good point right? Who honestly saw that coming?
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

I don’t expect Wealdstone to be up there come the end of the season, and they’d drawn the last 3. It’s the manner of the performance yet again that’s disappointing. Don’t know where we go from here, can’t see us landing any decent loan signings any time soon. It’s not like we even have a good core like last season.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by thebigp1 »

Minneapolisgull wrote: 17 Sep 2022, 22:23 Not that I want rain on the oh my god we are so bad brigade! but a point away against high flying Wealdstone who have only lost once this season. Especially after the dismal Tues night It's a good point right? Who honestly saw that coming?
I don’t think anyone would disagree that a point is a bad result but the problem is it’s another poor performance where we have been dominated again. We have played 8 teams so far and been second best each time. This is not sustainable over the course of a season. Like I said earlier something has to change and the club need to make a decision on where we go from here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

They are a part time team who could only muster 3 subs today. Look at the stats. Same old story. Even the manager more or less said we were hopeless - he keeps saying that we will get it right but every game we get dominated by the opposition.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Good to hear Evans is continuing his improvement, and Gary is getting through to him.
Disappointed with Hanson and McGavin
so far, is their confidence and attitude there ? they are used to losing most weeks from last season, also they need to up their quickness, sharpness and awareness in possession. At times they show great promise but its not very often.