Shrews fans on Branno

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Victor Kasule
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Victor Kasule »

ferrarilover wrote:the table doesn't lie...we are qualifying for a place in the L2 playoff final, win that, and we are one of the four best sides in L2.
As I came here and praised your support, agreed with you that size of fanbase has no relevance to events on the pitch and pretty much agreed with you I think it's fair to say I come in peace. But you seem to be being a bit hypocritical there. If you beat us in the play-offs fair enough, you definately have the measure of us this season. But you can't claim the table does not lie and then say if you finish 7th (and 11 points behind us) and then win the Play-Offs you are in the top four teams. You will have been the best team over three games in the Play-Offs - I would take my hat off to you for that - but despite your dominace over us in the games we have played against each other so far, there is no denying we were the better team over the season.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Sorry Ferrari lover. You are not quite correct in saying the family stand or Grandstand was full to capacity. The camera doesn't lie and although I wanted badly to be there I had to make do with Sky.
The Family stand was mostly full right up untill the last block next to the pop side, There were less than 30 odd fans in that section and it looked very bare.
The away section of the grandstand was almost empty.
I was surprised that Shrewsbury only brought down 600 seeing as they could have had a damn good day out at the seaside and then supported their team in the evening but it all went to diminish our eventual attendance.
There were spaces in the enclosure too, although it may have seemed fuller but when they focused on that side you could see how quite a few more could have been accomodated.
Yes it was a poor show, but with TV coverage I am sure the compo from Sky more than made up for it. I am also quite sure we will take a damn sight more than 300 away with us. Small we may be but our support is amazing. even without the drum. :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Just a quick thought. Should we all go on their site and post thousands of Gulls fans waving a scarf above their heads. There wouldn't be enough room for them to reply lol

ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Well, that's how I see it, that the top three go up and then it's a shoot out for fourth place. I'm not having a go, Victor, just the way it seems to me, I always think of the playoffs as the fourth place shootout, because it seems logical to me that the top four teams get promoted, not the top three and the [luckiest, best, least bad, whatever] of the rest.
You were the better side over the season, to the tune of three wins and two draws, and congratulations on that.

Out of genuine interest, how many times did you hit the woodwork this season? (No, no argument about how 'unlucky' we are is to be forthcoming, I'm just trying to get a basis for comparison.)

Matt.

G Man, I'll take your word for it, but where I was was hoofed and I don't recall seeing too many empty seats about, but then, you'll certainly appreciate that the focus of my attention lay elsewhere.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

there were plenty of empty seats/spaces matt.

i was suprised at this when i watched, but the 4100 crowd figure looked about right.

as you say you had your view and were concentrating on other things...........
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

ferrarilover wrote:I'm sure they are the VAST minority, but there really are some people knocking about who ought really have fallen foul of Darwinian selection by now. Matt
Lets be fair here Matt. Theres a few of our "supporters" that could probably do the human race a favour by removing their particular markers from the gene pool :lol: :lol:
Victor Kasule
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Victor Kasule »

ferrarilover wrote: Out of genuine interest, how many times did you hit the woodwork this season? (No, no argument about how 'unlucky' we are is to be forthcoming, I'm just trying to get a basis for comparison.)
I genuinely have no idea, we did seem to hit it a few times first half of the season but I could not tell you how many. Am I right in thinking that like us you have not had many penalties awarded this season?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

We have not had a penalty that I can remember for ages. Conceded a few though... :whistle:

You are right Fletch. To be honest, I have got to the point now where it seems there is virtually nothing left but idiots. Everywhere you look, no one seems capable of drafting a correctly worded letter, or behaving in a socially acceptable manner for their given scenario. I'm not sure where the middle classes have gone, it seems that everyone I come across is either a poor person, or the Queen (or your good self, obviously).

Matt.

Not that I particularly doubted it before, but since it has since been 'confirmed' by SNW (although, with that username, did I ought to trust his judgement?) I must have just been in a busy part of the Pop, or stood with some right fat gits, readers choice.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Shrewsbury were the 4th best team in the League. I've always thought the notion of the Play-Offs a farce. The top 4 teams should take their place in the League above. I've never understood how they can justify the team finishing 7th - perhaps 15 points below the team that finished in 4th, can get promoted. And we've been on both sides of that coin in the past. But those are the rules. And if we do proceed, and who knows get promotion i'll certainly not be complaining about the injustice of it all! But if that transpires, we would have been the best team in a seperate 'mini tournament' at the end of the season proper. The League table orders teams on merit, based on points accumulated. The team at the top are best, the team at the bottom are worst - and over the course of the season, the team finishing 4th have proved a stronger outfit than the team finishing 7th.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

Always thought the same Fonda. On a serious note, how unlucky for Shrewsbury to miss out on a league 1 place on the last day of the season & subsequently land their bogey team in the playoffs, who are for the record 11 points behind.

Over the course of the season to drop soooo many points to teams of a similar standard to us Macclesfield, Hereford, Morecambe, Aldershot etc. & still be in with a shout of a League 1 playoff final is rather strange.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

i'm guessing the big man will happily take the stick from their fans if it means they're not getting behind their own players. could work to our advantage.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Boom Boom wrote:Always thought the same Fonda. On a serious note, how unlucky for Shrewsbury to miss out on a league 1 place on the last day of the season & subsequently land their bogey team in the playoffs, who are for the record 11 points behind.

Over the course of the season to drop soooo many points to teams of a similar standard to us Macclesfield, Hereford, Morecambe, Aldershot etc. & still be in with a shout of a League 1 playoff final is rather strange.
Twice as galling when you consider they should have had 3 more points than Wycombe, being denied by yet another shocking example of poor decisions by officials (we've seen a few of them as well!!) :red:
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

ferrarilover wrote:We have not had a penalty that I can remember for ages. Conceded a few though... :whistle:

You are right Fletch. To be honest, I have got to the point now where it seems there is virtually nothing left but idiots. Everywhere you look, no one seems capable of drafting a correctly worded letter, or behaving in a socially acceptable manner for their given scenario. I'm not sure where the middle classes have gone, it seems that everyone I come across is either a poor person, or the Queen (or your good self, obviously). Matt.
Yer obviously stood with a load of fat gits. Matt. Oooo ate all the pies. Lol :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

it does not really matter at all who is the best team.

Whoever wins the play offs gets prommoted, end of.

Arsenal have been congratulated time after time of being the best footballing team, who cares, they have won nothing recently, and its about winning at the right times, that counts

So the arguement is senseless. How many times do you watch a game and it looks as if the best team, actually loses, as a Torquay fan its usually in the last few minutes.

You can argue till the cows come home who is the "best" team but nothing changes.

Whoever wins out of Shrewsbury and Torquay still have to play one more game at old Trafford, and thats where it counts, under pressure and if it means playing crap for 89mins and winning 1-0, thats it. Thats football!
TUST MEMBER
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

ferrarilover wrote:I'm sure they are the VAST minority, but there really are some people knocking about who ought really have fallen foul of Darwinian selection by now.
Matt, if this was a reference to the fact that Shrewsbury is the birthplace of Charles Darwin, then your comment is absolute genius.

But I expect it was just a coincidence :lol:
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.