Torquay United v Aldershot 10/9/22

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

It's such an inconvenience, once in 70 years. However will we get over the postponement of such an epic fixture?
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

One of those that can be argued either way and will split opinion.

Personally I cant get my head round why the rest of life goes on as normal - shops, pubs, theatres, rugby, concerts etc etc - but football is canned.

The national anthem amongst thousands of others would have left a far stronger memory of mourning for me than what is now ahead. Knee jerk reaction by a committee unrepresentative of society I think.

That's just my view though and I totally respect the opposite one!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Think the Queen might have been quite intrigued that her death has inspired triple the number of pre-match posts, that we would normally get for a game that was going ahead.

Whether we think the decision was right or wrong, is neither here nor there, the decision was made, and we're stuck with it, endless moaning and groaning isn't going to change it.

Think the decision to postpone football this weekend is more down the society we live in today, a society where just can't right for doing wrong, should imagine those at the top of the F.A where shit scared so went for what they believed to be the safe option.
Formerly known as forevertufc
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

A sad loss for everyone who is a royalist or just likes Liz....

Personally, I think it would have been better for football to have gone ahead and pay its respects with minutes' silence, a pic and statement on the large screens and black armbands.
It would have united all fans and the chance to pay that respect has been denied.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

forevertufc wrote: 10 Sep 2022, 09:36 Think the decision to postpone football this weekend is more down the society we live in today, a society where just can't right for doing wrong, should imagine those at the top of the F.A where shit scared so went for what they believed to be the safe option.
Exactly my thoughts on the matter. It is basically a PR decision, football is often used as a punch bag by the press whether it's talking about the avarice of modern day footballers or the behaviour of fans, no doubt the Daily Mail would have been screaming about disrespect if the games had gone ahead.