Ex-Gull watch

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Phipsy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nico

Post by Phipsy »

Both Covalan and Mcdonald excellent keepers, with a future in the game.
I dont believe Shaun made many mistakes at all last season.
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

I'm not sure that McDonald didn't make any mistakes!!!! I certainly remember his kicking/distribution not being good enough. Like others have said, both were decent keepers for the standard of football they were playing. I don't consider either good enough to be a no 1 at football league level.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Well, whatever, Chesterfield have brought in another keeper today, ex Weymouth
TUST member 200 ;-)
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

What I find most remarkable about the whole saga is that Covolan was the only goalkeeper in the Chesterfield squad. That is simply ludicrous when Chesterfield are considered amongst the favourites for promotion this season.
TerryTorq
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tommy Northcott

Post by TerryTorq »

When Chesterfield played Notts County in the 2021 Play-offs they didn’t have a backup goalkeeper on the bench and their goalkeeper had to play the entire second half with a bad leg injury. After leading 2-1 at half time they lost 3-2.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

At this level you must decide where to spend your wages. If I offered you the following, which would you take:-

Option A - Spend your wages on two good keepers, as we have. One sitting on the bench for 40 plus games a season adding little to your points total.

Option B - Save a wage and only have one keeper. This may cost you a point or two as it did Chesterfield on Saturday. With this saving spend more on a striker who will play, get goals and add to your seasons point total.

I would choose Option B all day long. In my mind Chesterfield may have it correct and us wrong!
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

Which is fine until the first goalkeeper picks up an injury or a suspension and you end up bringing in Johnny come lately to sit in goal for a third of your season shipping goals for fun.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

gullsgullsgulls wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 14:27 Which is fine until the first goalkeeper picks up an injury or a suspension and you end up bringing in Johnny come lately to sit in goal for a third of your season shipping goals for fun.
Loan market!
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

Nick Potkins wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 15:26 Loan market!
Of course but you are then at the mercy to availability at short notice. Appreciate there are often friendly clubs willing to share a decent third keeper but it’s a risk for sure.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Taelee73 »

With only one goalkeeper, where's the pressure needed to keep him 100% focused every game? Knowing he must be consistent, knowing he needs to keep improving. And as someone said, Play Off final, leading until he's injured and then they lose. That choice mosylt likely cost them promotion.
Know which option I'd go for.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Ben Wynter scores for Barnet as they ran out winners over Woking
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Jamie Reid scored a 93rd minute winner for Stevenage last night to beat League 1 Peterborough 1-0.
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

portugull wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 17:46 Jamie Reid scored a 93rd minute winner for Stevenage last night to beat League 1 Peterborough 1-0.
Well done Jamie!

Ben Whitfield scored as well last night in minute 88 to go 2-1 up. Still managed to lose the cup tie though.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Even Dead loss Lolos scored a penalty at Weymouth yesterday. We can not score at all.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

North Curry House wrote: 28 Aug 2022, 12:31 Even Dead loss Lolos scored a penalty at Weymouth yesterday. We can not score at all.
That was his 4th goal in 4 games this season.